Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 16:18   #16

Re: Pomfret family of Blackburn

If you know that Benjamin married in 1933 then his marriage records should show his parents.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2012, 19:13   #17

Hi Accybill. I do thank you once again for your replies. Trying to sort out Pomfrets from Pomfrets is proving to be very frustrating and I agree with you that it seems I am going to have to see the official birth and marriage records to get the right answers. The church records of Benny Boy's marriage don't show his parents, so no short cuts there, and it looks like the answers will lie solely in the official records. Again, many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:40   #18

1871 Census
Father Benjamin Pomfret is living at Milton street, Blackburn with his son's family at the age of 64, Born Lower Darwen.
Mother Ellen Pomfret is living at Fox Street, Blackburn with her son's family at the age of 67, Born Lower Darwen.
Joseph Shutt who she is living with is her son with Evan Shutt and Ellen Haworth married 1st December 1827, Blackburn.
1871 Census say's both Benjamin and Ellen were born in Lower Darwen.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Descendants of Benjamin Pomfret.pdf (57.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf Descendants of Evan Shutt.pdf (56.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf ellen haworth.pdf (48.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf pomfret.pdf (47.6 KB, 5 views)
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23   #19

Hi Acstan. VERY many thanks for all that information, you have certainly given me a lot to think about. I didn't have the info re the 1871 Census. The names, dates, etc., gel with what I have (plus now I have more info thanks to you) all except the bit about Benny-boy and Ellen being born in Lower Darwen. Can anyone tell me if Lower Darwen was actually part of Blackburn in those days as this would explain things, as on the 1851 Census when they lived at 5 Back Union Street, Blackburn they were all recorded as being born in Blackburn. Of course details weren't always noted correctly so this could explain it. As I live in South Australia information re Lancashire families is sometimes hard to find so I do thank very much.
Am assuming from the amount of info you have that you are related to this family.
Cheers!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59   #20
Resting in Peace

Dotti34 do you know what the Pomfret's did for a living just asking as there is a chemist shop in Preston on Lancaster road called "Pomfret's chemist" its been there ever since i can remember and its still open to this day.
just wondering if this could be any relation ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02   #21

Just a hobby Dott, not related. Your tree is a hard one to crack !
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55   #22

Hi Mick. Have a feeling the Pomfrets in this family line were factory workers - though Benjamin's church marriage record cites him as being 'stripper bachelor'. I seriously doubt that this meant he took it all off for a living, more like it was a job in the mill! It is possible the chemist could be some relation down the track but there were so many of this name, would like to know where they originated from.
While I am answering you Mick I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy the Acc'y Web - love to read the rapport (sometimes a bit cheeky but often very funny) between your regular correspondents. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59   #23

Acstan - Wow! you must be a glutton for punishment (ha ha) - it's enough just trying to follow our own family lines. You deserve a medal!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Hi Mick. Have a feeling the Pomfrets in this family line were factory workers - though Benjamin's church marriage record cites him as being 'stripper bachelor'. I seriously doubt that this meant he took it all off for a living, more like it was a job in the mill! It is possible the chemist could be some relation down the track but there were so many of this name, would like to know where they originated from.
While I am answering you Mick I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy the Acc'y Web - love to read the rapport (sometimes a bit cheeky but often very funny) between your regular correspondents. Keep up the good work!
A few months ago someone else on here was asking about what a stripper in a mill would do - I think it was a bobbin stripper. Can't find the thread but anyway here is a job description:

689.685-022 - BOBBIN STRIPPER (tex. prod., nec) - DOT Dictionary of Occupational Titles Job Description
Old 12-08-2012, 23:07   #25

Hi Susie - Mmm! I guessed it was something like that, pity - just for a moment there I thought I had discovered some hidden (or not hidden, depending on the facts) talent that was in my other half's family. Especially so as Benjamin's daughter, Sarah Ann, who (if my records are correct) was the great-great-grandmother of him indoors was also a stripper. Now THAT would have been something to tell the kids about....

On a more serious note, they must have had very tough lives in those days - hard work for little pay, day-to-day living always a struggle, but they would have accepted this as being their lot in life. Very sad to see how many people signed documents with a X because they couldn't read or write, especially the females. Opens your eyes a bit, delving into the past.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:59   #26

It was a tough life and the Census records show that many "very" large families resided in a 2up 2 down house (some even smaller homes) with no real sanitation.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..