Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2010, 07:35   #31

Re: St Oswald,s School Accrington 1959 to 1965

No, not the strap. Mine was the cane for being late! Ouch, it hurt on chilblained hands!
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2010, 07:37   #32

Anyone remember Joan, Alicia, Stephen Cooney from Holy Family?
Old 15-05-2010, 07:42   #33

Hated Mr. Btuynseels and he hated me! Geography-he used to stand over me and make me so nervous I couldn't read the map!
Old 23-05-2010, 07:51   #34

Anyone from St Oswald's remember Rita Madigan, Ursula Crook, Patty McDonald? 1940-1950?
Old 23-05-2010, 07:53   #35

Cool Re: St Oswald,s School Accrington 1940-50

Barbara Bentley, Rita Madigan, Anne Cunningham, Ursula Crook. Anyone remember them?
Old 30-05-2010, 07:57   #36

Canning street.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43   #37

Hi John, You must be younger than I am. I was at St. Oswalds's before you, but my sisters went to Holy Family. You may have know them- Joanie Cooney, Alicia Cooney, my brothers, Dennis Cooney and Stephen Cooney. Steve used to deliver papers round Fern Gore. I never see any familiar names when I look on the page. Do you know anyone by the name of Patricia Hinksman. She was Caveney before her marriage and has a sister called Maureen. Pat's ex was called Jimmy and came from Whalley, I think.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:48   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace View Post
Hi John, You must be younger than I am. I was at St. Oswalds's before you, but my sisters went to Holy Family. You may have know them- Joanie Cooney, Alicia Cooney, my brothers, Dennis Cooney and Stephen Cooney. Steve used to deliver papers round Fern Gore. I never see any familiar names when I look on the page. Do you know anyone by the name of Patricia Hinksman. She was Caveney before her marriage and has a sister called Maureen. Pat's ex was called Jimmy and came from Whalley, I think.
Stephanie, I think I was in the same class at Holy Family with one of your brothers. I didn't go to St Oswald's school, went straight to the Holy Family, from St Anne's.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Stephanie, I think I was in the same class at Holy Family with one of your brothers. I didn't go to St Oswald's school, went straight to the Holy Family, from St Anne's.
You were in the first intake like me Bernard weren't you, I started in 3B then moved to 3A after three months was in the form with Franny Franks, Ken Waterson, John Toole, Martin Molloy, Tony Alveston (who's a member on here) Pete Benson, George Holt ( was Stumper for Enfield) Sharon Floyd and Angela Parker from Clayton two sisters from Gt Harwood can't remember their names, Think you were in a year below me, if I remember
Old 03-06-2010, 19:11   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You were in the first intake like me Bernard weren't you, I started in 3B then moved to 3A after three months was in the form with Franny Franks, Ken Waterson, John Toole, Martin Molloy, Tony Alveston (who's a member on here) Pete Benson, George Holt ( was Stumper for Enfield) Sharon Floyd and Angela Parker from Clayton two sisters from Gt Harwood can't remember their names, Think you were in a year below me, if I remember

I think you were probably a couple of years above me. You may well have been in the same year as my sister. I know most of the names you mention. And still see one or two of them knocking about.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I think you were probably a couple of years above me. You may well have been in the same year as my sister. I know most of the names you mention. And still see one or two of them knocking about.
What was your sisters first name Bernard, was it Kathleen that seems to ring a bell, most of the people I mentioned, I think I've only seen 4 since I left school, George Holt I've seen regularly, he lives in Ossy and of course Tony Alveston, John (Louie) Toole lives in Ossy and saw Martin Molloy when I lived in Hassy
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24   #42

Richard Parker was in my class jaysay, thats Angela's brother. but I thought Sharon Floyd, and Angela went to Paddock House,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Richard Parker was in my class jaysay, thats Angela's brother. but I thought Sharon Floyd, and Angela went to Paddock House,
Not unless they had doubles Alan was in the same class 3rd 4th and 5th years, the 5th year in those days was not mandatory (leaving age was 15 in those days) we all left on the same day
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13   #44
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenglish View Post
i agree i was an altar boy at sacred heart church along side jack bentley school teacher in my younger days.
John , if you are still visiting the Accy Web , do you mean Fred Bentley? He had a twin brother , Harry. They lived on Blackburn Rd just before you reach where the old Grammar School was.
Fred taught at Holy Family - Mount Carmel. He was keen on all sports. He once took a group abroad for a skiing holiday and came back with a broken leg.
He would have been 63 now . He died last year , sadly unable to enjoy the retirement he was about to begin.

The Miss Birch , often mentioned on this thread , became Mrs Ormerod after her retirement . I think that will surprise many.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 18:26   #45

Hello - I found this thread accidentally! I was at St. Oswald's in 1954/55. Then we moved to Chester when I was 6.
I was in Miss Birch's class, then in Mrs. Eddisforth's for most of my time there. Although it's unlikely anyone would remember me, did anyone know Hilary Webster, who was my friend? She was the same age and had a brother Peter who was a couple of years older in Miss Gardner's. I've often wondered what happened to Hilary.
I've still got a school photo from my year, but can only remember some first names!
Dorothy, Deidre, Janet, Mary, Maureen (surname Asprin?), Antony, Peter, Barry, David, Dale, Jimmy?
Just thought someone might have brothers or sisters around that time and might know Hilary.
I was Kim Peddie and lived on Blackburn Rd in a little chocolate shop.
Kim R P is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..