Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 21:34   #31

Re: Woodnook Secondary

I remember you Ken Nash. Didn't you live up Spencer st.....seem to remember we were in the football team along with Pip Rose and Geoff Redmand. I also remember all those names plus Shirley Costley, Julie Harris, Trevor Wright.
p.s. I seem to recall we used to have a kick about up Arden Hall playing fields
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2014, 00:37   #32
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Woodnook Secondary

Steve: Bang on with Spencer Street, Phil and Geoff, the football team and Arden Hall. Remeber Shirley as my partner in country dancing when when the football/netball afternoons was rained out. Trevor rings a bell.
Did you live close by Spencer Street?
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 00:41   #33
Junior Member+

Taddy: You may well have the best memory. Maybe Clive was boss of the prefects. I think I remember him as one of the lads that stood at the door and stopped us going into the school before the bell.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:37   #34

Hi Kenn, I lived in Oswald st (bottom end). Other names who lived round there....David and Andrew Trotter (Spencer st or Hodder st )...David Smith (lived a few doors down from Gillian Coulson and Sheila Parkinson on Bold st)....Kevin Procter and Terry Butterworth (Cedar st). Your ex dance partner Shirley Costley now lives in Arizona.
Nice to make contact with you after nearly 50years!!!!!! the old brain cells are going into overdrive
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44   #35

Hi Taddy, I too am struggling to remember head boy/girl. If there was I would think Madeline Quinn would have been a candidate, I seem to remember she was very posh and snooty. I remember all of the names from Kenn post, I was in the same class as most of them......Mr Wade was the form teacher
Old 03-05-2014, 18:31   #36

I remember Mr Wade very well, he used to have a piece of vee belting that he used for corporal punishment; known to all the lads as his Percy Wader.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 18:45   #37
Beacon of light

Clive Smith was a prefect, but we did not,(to my recollection anyway)at that time have a head boy or a head girl.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 18:55   #38

My wife took a photograph of the 1961/62 Woodnook football team into the Accy Observer over three weeks ago, still waiting for it to be shown in the paper, yet they are always asking the readers to send in their old pictures; If they don't print it in the next couple of weeks I might give them a bell and chase them up a bit.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 19:04   #39
Junior Member+

Steve: Got it almost 100%. I recall us walking home from school and you being on the school football team . I turned up a photo of the team taken in the school yard dated 1962-1963 (as written on the ball): Back row teacher Gale (heavy set man) and teacher Bell. Second row a couple of lads I can't name then Rose, Parker (big lad), Duffy (goals), Beswick; front row Mills, Jackson, Biscombe, me, Redman, Southern? Kirkham. You must have been away that day
Old 03-05-2014, 19:09   #40
Junior Member+

I remember Mr Wade was teaching the boys about the birds and bees and that 1961 was the only year we would ever see that was the same if turned up-side down.
Old 03-05-2014, 19:12   #41

I had a look around the museum the other day and saw the football team photo.....didn't recognize anyone, that was my first year at Woodnook. There was another photo witch had Mr Carrol (headmaster) Roland ?...Barry Oliver...Philip Rose...Bridget Swales, along with others who's names or faces I don't remember. I'm presuming they were all prize winners or some kind of merit, as they seem to have been hand picked from different classes
Old 03-05-2014, 19:28   #42

Hi Kenn....would love to see that photo, if youv'e still got it. Mr Bell (ding dong)was the gym teacher and Mr Gale took science.....he had the classroom with the long desks with bunson burners on them......always smelt of gas and rubber. He moved to a school down Birmingham way and in my last year there the football teams got invited to play against his school. after the match we all went to watch W.B.A. play some other team, for free
Old 03-05-2014, 21:15   #43
Beacon of light

Mr Allen was headmaster when I was there....his nickname was 'holy Joe'.I remember Mrs Thompson.....she taught RE. Mrs Ashcroft taught music, Mr Gale was my form teacher in the second year.Mrs Rawnsley taught geography. Mrs Whittaker was PE (she was married to Jim Bowen).
Miss France taught Art. Mrs Shaw taught needlework.....and that is my memory exhausted.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 03-05-2014 at 21:21.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08   #44
Junior Member+

I remember most of the teachers mentioned. Also Judith Catlow (single at the time) Souther (red beard). Headmasters: Allen then Carroll then Hindle (older bloke and former math teacher).
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00   #45
Beacon of light

I remember Miss Catlow, but not what she taught. Milton Suthers was responsible for teaching me Maths....except he scared the bejesus out of me.....so I learned very little.
He played Cricket in the Ribblesdale league......I am not a bit interested in Cricket so why I remembered that is a mystery to me!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..