Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 21:47   #196
Resident Waffler

Re: 1 in 4 living off benefits

I'm sure here that would be classed by some as infringing on people's human rights!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2007, 14:56   #197

Not too late to start again surely?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 18:26   #198
Beacon of light

I think perhaps it is.......open a can of worms and the first thing you realise is that you are going to need a much bigger can!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 18:32   #199
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm sure here that would be classed by some as infringing on people's human rights!
I know ... and it is very fine line we tread. At one extreme, a small community in Quebec (I forget the name and am to busy to go looking for it) passed a bylaw which acknowledged that while all new Canadians/Quebecois(e) were welcome, certain forms of Islamic law, particularly that dealing with the status of women, were not. There are no muslims living in that community. At the other extreme is one of the most popular shows on Canadian tv, "Little Mosque on the Prairies."

Canada has, in several cases, granted refugee status to young women who would fave female circumcision if they returned to their own countries.

While we have freedom of speech in our country, there are limits. One can be convicted of "hate crimes." It is not ok, for example, to paint swastikas on synagogues. People come to this country to become Canadians. They can bring with them all that is positive and good about their cultures and religions; but they can leave the crap behind them. The vast majority of immigrants are ok with this because it is usually this crap that they wish to escape from.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 19:03   #200
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't think that rights are being infringed. It is Canada's right as a sovreign nation to refuse citizenship. In the two tier system we have, a person applies for Landed Immigrant Status. After five years (I think) they can apply for citizenship. Once they have citizenship then they have all the rights guaranteed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The point is that one can be choosey at the time of entry.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 18:58   #201

Seems like a good idea(as someone once said),though we have the extra burden of the EEC rulings;plus the French giving would be immigrants the nod and directions for Dover!
Old 08-09-2007, 19:53   #202
Resting in peace

A parasite eats the host and contributes nothing, when all the flesh has gone the parasite will move on,or die.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:58   #203
God Member

Britain is the main destination for eastern european immigrants for the simple reason that it has the strongest economy in europe and there is work, these people don't come here because Britain is a "soft touch" nor to claim benefits.
The funny thing is that the very people who complain the most about immigrants are the same people who employ them...farmers and Tory businessmen!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 20:54   #204
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Britain is the main destination for eastern european immigrants for the simple reason that it has the strongest economy in europe and there is work, these people don't come here because Britain is a "soft touch" nor to claim benefits.
The funny thing is that the very people who complain the most about immigrants are the same people who employ them...farmers and Tory businessmen!
Most businessmen I have known were self made and not in the least political animals, just what M ancie has the' tory' party got to do with the thread?I do not see many Eastern Europeans, or Asians heading home, save to go on holiday. or bring a' mate in' The only thing that goes home is the money wheather earned or scrounged.
Old 08-09-2007, 21:16   #205
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Most businessmen I have known were self made and not in the least political animals, just what M ancie has the' tory' party got to do with the thread?I do not see many Eastern Europeans, or Asians heading home, save to go on holiday. or bring a' mate in' The only thing that goes home is the money wheather earned or scrounged.
This thread started as having a pop at people claiming benefits and has turned into the same old rubbish...blame immigrants!
I'll tell you what the Tory party have to do with it.. the Tory press (mail,express) almost daily print scaremongering stories about immigrants when by far the main benifit cheats in this country are british born.
The Countryside Alliance (just another name for far right wing Tory farmers) are the main employers of immigrants, as are the members of the CBI (just another name for right wing Tory business).
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 22:20   #206
Resting in peace

Talking Re: 1 in 4 living off benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
This thread started as having a pop at people claiming benefits and has turned into the same old rubbish...blame immigrants!
I'll tell you what the Tory party have to do with it.. the Tory press (mail,express) almost daily print scaremongering stories about immigrants when by far the main benifit cheats in this country are british born.
The Countryside Alliance (just another name for far right wing Tory farmers) are the main employers of immigrants, as are the members of the CBI (just another name for right wing Tory business).
I'll bet you eat the cheap grub produced by these right wing employers
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 14:14   #207

I had always thought that the reason we had such popularity with immigrants is that every other EEC country sought to pass them down the line through their own borders to the next in line.The UK is at the end of that line and yes we do employ cheap labour and yes we are also a soft touch as far as the basic benefits are concerned.
We are a haven for scroungers of every ilk!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..