Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2007, 16:34   #46
God Member

Re: 1 in 4 living off benefits

It seems that politicians of the right play on the fears and prejudices of voters. I'm not arguing that voters are openly prejudiced, but the latency still exists, and can be dragged to the surface when times are tough. If a political faction can convince voters that those who have work are supporting lazy (possibly immigrant) "bums" who give nothing back to socity other than slums and increased crime and drug rates, then they will garner votes in an election, at any political level. In general, I believe that parties to the right of centre play on voters' baser instincts, and those in the centre, or to the left, on peoples better natures. I know this is a generalization, but there again, this is a "quick reply."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2007, 14:09   #47

As I once posted on an earlier thread less worthy members of the Moss Side estates were shipped here to be resettled.
I think some kind of grant to the council was involved to rehouse the people.
So that could be why we do see a lot of aimless drifters with pram,track/shell suit and pasty.
Again apologies to the genuine claiments.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:33   #48
Senior Member+

many kids that are growing up today
dont know anything different
all their lives more than likely any parents at hand
never worked so led by example
when i was growing up a million years ago everybody
kind of worked parents made you work
now many parents say why bother just look at me
i can afford not to work in fact i cannot afford to work
ministerial payouts are far to good so just whos fault is it

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:49   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
many kids that are growing up today
dont know anything different
all their lives more than likely any parents at hand
never worked so led by example
when i was growing up a million years ago everybody
kind of worked parents made you work
now many parents say why bother just look at me
i can afford not to work in fact i cannot afford to work
ministerial payouts are far to good so just whos fault is it
There have always been families like that as long as welfare benefits have existed. When I started work at Accy Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance in 1960, I soon learned the family names of the 'regulars'.
At that time there was legislation in force which prevented such families from having more coming in than that of a council labourer. That didnt get them working or stop them from claiming. That rule was abolished by Barbara Castle because it was the children who felt the poverty (dad stlll had his beer money regardless).

Last edited by MargaretR; 31-08-2007 at 14:51.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 14:54   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There have always been families like that as long as welfare benefits have existed. When I started work at Accy Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance in 1960, I soon learned the family names of the 'regulars'.
At that time there was legislation in force which prevented such families from having more coming in than that of a council labourer. That didnt get them working or stop them from claiming. That rule was abolished by Barbara Castle because it was the children who felt the poverty (dad stlll had his beer money regardless).
Think you will find that dad still gets his beer money or whatever they spend it on now. Always the kids who have to go without so that these selfish people are happy
Old 31-08-2007, 14:56   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think you will find that dad still gets his beer money or whatever they spend it on now. Always the kids who have to go without so that these selfish people are happy
Quite - I just want you to know that it isnt a new problem

Old 31-08-2007, 15:22   #52
God Member

Quote:
Quite - I just want you to know that it isnt a new problem
I know it has always gone on, just think it was the exception rather than the rule when I was younger now it seems it is to easy not to work!!
Old 31-08-2007, 15:34   #53
God Member

Any benefits system will be abused by some - at least it has replaced the Victorian Workhouse which was where both the genuine and the scroungers ended up.

An amusing anecdote - as these 'scrounger dads' shifted between the dole and the sick to avoid being sent to a job, doctors sometimes wrote 'plumbitis' (swinging the lead) on their medical certificates. In fact there was a list of medical terms the doctors used to get them sent early for a medical and so they would move back to the dole again.

Old 31-08-2007, 15:43   #54
God Member

I think another factor is the slump in the jobs available now, I remember my mum going from Burco to Rist Wires and back in the space of one day. She always worked and thought she would like it ay Rist Wires but only did half a day and ended up back at Burco that afternoon, there were loads of jobs then. Firms nowadays get away with far to much, Express Gifts is a prime example taking people on and laying them off just as they please. There is no incentive for people.
Old 31-08-2007, 15:53   #55
Passed away 25-11-09

While waiting to start work in the Inland Revenue, when I left school in 1959, I worked for 2 months as a "casual" in the Ministry of Labour in Accrington, the Labour Exchange. I remember seeing a doctor's certificate for one chap that had a long, convoluted Greek word written on it. We looked it up and found it meant "fear of work".

One thing about drawing "dole" in those days was that they had to "sign on" twice a week. That meant going in person to the office and signing that they had been unable to find work. The 2nd signing day was Friday when they collected their dole in cash. If they didn't attend to sign they got no money so, at least, it got the work-shy out of bed. There were also regular interviews to find placements for them and again, if they didn't attend the interviews or if they turned down a suitable job offer, they had no dole.
Old 31-08-2007, 16:10   #56
God Member

So you worked in the Arcade, West Ender - we might have even met or talked by phone (small world )

Ministry of Pensions...MPNI , was housed over Bata shoe shop next to the bank. We had a good view of Broadway and the sunken gardens. We often saw one of our regulars striding briskly down Broadway with a walking stick under his arm, and beginning to use it as he got as far as Woods tobacco shop to limp to our door

Old 31-08-2007, 16:23   #57
Passed away 25-11-09

I was indeed in the Arcade, Margaret. The office was like a barn with bare wooden floors and sludgy green walls, not a place to encourage folks to linger. I was only there July and August, 1959, then my established Civil Service started and I was a Tax Officer in Bury.
Old 31-08-2007, 16:26   #58
God Member

Oh -I wasn't there at that time -was casual from Sept 59 and established from Feb 60

Old 31-08-2007, 16:50   #59
God Member

Quote:
So you worked in the Arcade, West Ender - we might have even met or talked by phone (small world )

Ministry of Pensions...MPNI , was housed over Bata shoe shop next to the bank. We had a good view of Broadway and the sunken gardens. We often saw one of our regulars striding briskly down Broadway with a walking stick under his arm, and beginning to use it as he got as far as Woods tobacco shop to limp to our door
And these people think they are so clever!!!
Old 31-08-2007, 17:03   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And these people think they are so clever!!!
Margaret that wasn't a reference to you , I was talking about the person who pretended he needed a walking stick. When I read the posts back it looked as if I was refering to you and Westender, I can assure you that was not the case!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..