Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2009, 00:00   #196
Give, give, give member

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Occasionally, reality breaks through - Margaret Beckett, a drab little incompetent who has been notable only for her mediocrity in the succession of government posts she's held was loftily explaining to the audience on "Question Time" the trials and tribulations of running a grace-and-favour home. The look of startled surprise on her face, as the audience turned on her, as one, was a picture - the game's up, we aren't going to be patronised anymore!
It's true. Her face was a picture.

That Blair babe was probably so shocked at the reaction, that she didn't eat her oats that night.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2009, 00:47   #197
God Member

And what percentage of the population are these thieving slags?... makes me wonder why we blame most of our ills on immigrants
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 09:09   #198
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MPs expenses

The things is that whilst all this is going on, all 650 MPs are being tarred with the same brush, there ARE MPs who have no questions to answer on expenses, but this continual drip drip drip affect, is doing nobody any good, save the circulation numbers of the Daily Telegraph
Old 24-05-2009, 09:20   #199
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The things is that whilst all this is going on, all 650 MPs are being tarred with the same brush, there ARE MPs who have no questions to answer on expenses, but this continual drip drip drip affect, is doing nobody any good, save the circulation numbers of the Daily Telegraph
A case of a few bad apples causing the throwing out of the good ones in the box as well even though there is nothing wrong with them. The drip feeding of the allegations feeds this yearning we have for a good scandel and helps boost the outrage of the public. They are playing on the fact that we will always jump on a bandwagon before we know the whole story. Its like we enjoy the mass hysteria it creates and we thrive on it. My own MP hasnt missed this bashing and from what i have read, his statements about it etc he is far from clean. He furnished homes up here claiming it was for in London. We have developed a culture of pure greed, the need to have everything for nothing along with a sod the rest attitude. Someday historians will look back and consider how the hell it happened under the noses of all.

One downside to all this is that if they force MP's from their seats with this backlash we will end up with a lot of very inexperienced MP's and very few seasoned ones. If this happens who will take the blame MP's or the media or will it be both them and the public at large.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 12:16   #200
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
A case of a few bad apples causing the throwing out of the good ones in the box as well even though there is nothing wrong with them. The drip feeding of the allegations feeds this yearning we have for a good scandel and helps boost the outrage of the public. They are playing on the fact that we will always jump on a bandwagon before we know the whole story. Its like we enjoy the mass hysteria it creates and we thrive on it. My own MP hasnt missed this bashing and from what i have read, his statements about it etc he is far from clean. He furnished homes up here claiming it was for in London. We have developed a culture of pure greed, the need to have everything for nothing along with a sod the rest attitude. Someday historians will look back and consider how the hell it happened under the noses of all.

One downside to all this is that if they force MP's from their seats with this backlash we will end up with a lot of very inexperienced MP's and very few seasoned ones. If this happens who will take the blame MP's or the media or will it be both them and the public at large.
Think you've hit the nail on the head Spugs, especially the last paragraph
Old 25-05-2009, 09:38   #201
God Member

It just goes on and on the bill for travel stands at £6.2 billion, where do these greedy sods get off spending public money like it is water???
Old 25-05-2009, 09:57   #202
Resting in Peace

Think the best one yet is that six Cabinet ministers employed accountants to advise on their expenses claims and paid for them on, yip you got it, on expenses
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53   #203
Senior Member+

This story will just run and run because it stirs up anger in each and every fair minded person in the country. People who have been placed in a position of public trust have been shown to abuse that trust. One of the things that annoys me most is the way public sector workers, especially the police and nurses, were being told that their independently recommended pay increases could not be implemented because the public purse could not afford it,,,,,,, whilethe very people who were telling them that were taking ludicrous amounts for themselves in what were at best extravagant and at worst fraudulent claims for expenses.

I worked for 30 years in the public sector, and misuse of public money for personal gain is deemed "gross misconduct" under the disciplinary system, punishable by instant dismissal and referral to the police.

If the MPs are treated in the same way as other public sector workers are treated, many of them will end up in jail.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 22:59   #204
God Member

Petunias - £500 worth - not like this one
BBC NEWS | Politics | Tory MP claimed £500 for petunias

PS despite what you hear the singer is NOT Jonathan Woss

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 02:35   #205
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
This story will just run and run because it stirs up anger in each and every fair minded person in the country. People who have been placed in a position of public trust have been shown to abuse that trust. One of the things that annoys me most is the way public sector workers, especially the police and nurses, were being told that their independently recommended pay increases could not be implemented because the public purse could not afford it,,,,,,, whilethe very people who were telling them that were taking ludicrous amounts for themselves in what were at best extravagant and at worst fraudulent claims for expenses.

I worked for 30 years in the public sector, and misuse of public money for personal gain is deemed "gross misconduct" under the disciplinary system, punishable by instant dismissal and referral to the police.

If the MPs are treated in the same way as other public sector workers are treated, many of them will end up in jail.
Spot on..I can imagine in those 30 yrs you saw massive waste of public money and you will know it's nothing new!... I've seen the lot.. thousands spent just beacuse an MP was visiting for one day..thousands spent just to do a conference room up with champers and outragous buffets..even to the extent of having grapes cut in half..all on the public "purse"...but this sort of thing is not news.. it's been going on from the 80's...Maggie's boys were ******* but they did know how to spend our dosh!

Last edited by Mancie; 27-05-2009 at 02:41.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 09:50   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Spot on..I can imagine in those 30 yrs you saw massive waste of public money and you will know it's nothing new!... I've seen the lot.. thousands spent just because an MP was visiting for one day..thousands spent just to do a conference room up with champers and outrageous buffets..even to the extent of having grapes cut in half..all on the public "purse"...but this sort of thing is not news.. it's been going on from the 80's...Maggie's boys were ******* but they did know how to spend our dosh!
And Gordon's ******* aren't doing a bad impression either
Old 27-05-2009, 10:31   #207
Senior Member+

.......and the reaction of MPs who have been "found out" is pathetic. They try and blame someone else, and offer to pay it back immediately. The country's prisons are full of people convicted of fraud who no doubt tried to say the same when they were caught.

One MP tried to blame an unfortunate error in his accounting procedures. One acknowledged that on reflection, the claim he had made would not stand up to public scrutiny. One supposedly eminent MP admitted his claim of several thousand for a TV was a bit daft.

All euphemisms for "It's a fair cop, guv!"
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 13:32   #208
God Member

can anyone see the difference that would be seen - other than saving massive amounts of taxpayer's cash - should the House of Commons be shut down?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 13:41   #209
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
can anyone see the difference that would be seen - other than saving massive amounts of taxpayer's cash - should the House of Commons be shut down?
...and just have the House of Lords, you mean?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 13:47   #210
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and just have the House of Lords, you mean?

Yeah......except choose 'em by lottery, just as the old Greeks did. Anyway, Lord Whatsit sounds a hell of a lot better than "Dishonourable Member"
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..