Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2010, 17:16   #1
Give, give, give member

£100 fines - rubbish.

'HYNDBURN residents face £100 fines for what a council is labelling 'bin sins'.
But the borough's MP has described the penalties as a 'bullying tactic', while council bosses said they had to take the 'last resort' to improve recycling rates.'

'Anyone who puts bin bags outside their black wheelie bin on collection day faces a £100 fine.'
Hyndburn residents threatened with £100 fines over bins (From Blackburn Citizen)

Collecting my wheelie bin this week, I noticed all the bins had stickers on them, with a note inside about fines if people do not obey das rules.

(I do hope all the thousands of notes were on recycled paper.)

I'm good.

I've always recycled, even before it became mandatory. I hate wasting anything, even rubbish.

My wheelie bin is always put out on time, and is very rarely a quarter full. However by lunchtime someone, presumably a neighbour, has always filled my bin with their spare rubbish bags.

So when it comes to fines, until we have lockable wheelie bins, I'm afraid when it comes to issuing £100 fines for overflowing bins etc., I'm afraid you, H.B.C., haven't got a legal leg to stand on.

If you'd like to take a test case to court, I'd willingly be the resident you lose to.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2010, 17:22   #2
Senior Member+

Re: £100 fines - rubbish.

I recieved exactly the same notice on my bin when it was only half full!
Then last Tuesday we recieved a letter saying that our area is being monitored due to "fly tippers" on our back alley, maybe they need to look at my next door neighbour..................

over-flowing bin
5 bin bags beside their bin
no recycling done what so-ever

and i know all this as when I am out the back yard getting some fresh airbefore bin day they cart it all out!!
same as you, dont even think about trying to fine me!!
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 17:29   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
I recieved exactly the same notice on my bin when it was only half full!
Then last Tuesday we recieved a letter saying that our area is being monitored due to "fly tippers" on our back alley, maybe they need to look at my next door neighbour..................

over-flowing bin
5 bin bags beside their bin
no recycling done what so-ever

and i know all this as when I am out the back yard getting some fresh airbefore bin day they cart it all out!!
same as you, dont even think about trying to fine me!!
Unless they give us lockable bins, which there was a rumour we were to have, or unless they expect us to sit on the bin lid until it's collected, they haven't a hope in hell of being able to successfully issue fines.

Old 14-08-2010, 21:43   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

They use bully tactics the same as with dog fouling fines. They ask your name so they can give you a fine but you dont have to tell them anything.
Old 14-08-2010, 21:44   #5

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Two questions for the councillors who post on this forum...

a) How does the council distinguish that "some areas of the borough had very low recycling rates" as opposed to areas that have high recycling rates?

b) At which council meeting was this motion passed?
Old 14-08-2010, 22:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'HYNDBURN residents face £100 fines for what a council is labelling 'bin sins'.
But the borough's MP has described the penalties as a 'bullying tactic', while council bosses said they had to take the 'last resort' to improve recycling rates.'

'Anyone who puts bin bags outside their black wheelie bin on collection day faces a £100 fine.'
Hyndburn residents threatened with £100 fines over bins (From Blackburn Citizen)

Collecting my wheelie bin this week, I noticed all the bins had stickers on them, with a note inside about fines if people do not obey das rules.

(I do hope all the thousands of notes were on recycled paper.)

I'm good.

I've always recycled, even before it became mandatory. I hate wasting anything, even rubbish.

My wheelie bin is always put out on time, and is very rarely a quarter full. However by lunchtime someone, presumably a neighbour, has always filled my bin with their spare rubbish bags.

So when it comes to fines, until we have lockable wheelie bins, I'm afraid when it comes to issuing £100 fines for overflowing bins etc., I'm afraid you, H.B.C., haven't got a legal leg to stand on.

If you'd like to take a test case to court, I'd willingly be the resident you lose to.

Every week I put out my mum and dad's bin which is very low on rubbish but by the time the bin men come along it's full

Please don't tell me to have a word with the people who are responsible as I don't live with my parents 24/7 and they are 80 and 77 years old and want a quiet life. I know who is doing it - I have photo's of who is doing it and if they ever tried to take my parents to court I could prove what is going on but yet again the cloud cuckoo council will try and think that it is all black and white as usual
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 22:13   #7
Resting in Peace

My bin is only ever 1/3rd full (approx) ... I invite my neighbours either side to put any extra bin bags in mine as they have larger families, as long as the bin lid will go down and all food stuffs are wrapped (don't want maggots).
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 22:29   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Two questions for the councillors who post on this forum...

a) How does the council distinguish that "some areas of the borough had very low recycling rates" as opposed to areas that have high recycling rates?

b) At which council meeting was this motion passed?
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer from councillors from either side It seems to me that none of them will give you a straight answer (prove me wrong please and you may get my vote next time)
Old 15-08-2010, 02:20   #9
Senior Member+

Man this is such bollocks.... Every 2 weeks somebody puts bags outside my back gate... Am i going to pay £100 fine NO i am not
Old 15-08-2010, 05:21   #10
Resting in Peace

It seams one of our neighbours has already found a way round this
they are a small young family mother father and 1 child yet the other week i watched as he put 4 wheelie bins out to be emptied
so the simple answer is go round nicking other peoples wheelie bins put your door number on the bin and there you go problem solved.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 06:56   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
It seams one of our neighbours has already found a way round this
they are a small young family mother father and 1 child yet the other week i watched as he put 4 wheelie bins out to be emptied
so the simple answer is go round nicking other peoples wheelie bins put your door number on the bin and there you go problem solved.

4 WHEELIE BINS? how on earth do they manage to fill 4?
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 07:25   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Whenever I put my wheelie bin out which because I live alone never has much in I find about ten bin bags have been dumped against my wall and another 10 to 15 dumped against the neighbours wall opposite, I'm not doing it, they are not doing it, if we were we would follow the adage 'never **** on your own doorstep', so please HBC get some sense, and don't you dare ever try to send me a summons!

By the way how can they tell if someone is or isn't recycling, so far as this particular duty is concerned although I do fill my various sacks and bins with these items of the Earth's resources, (how many asda bags do I need to collect to get a gold star from the Council?), I hardly ever remember to put them out, (indeed most times they do go out are on days Mick catches me on MSN and TELLS me it's recycling day), so when I have a full kitchens worth I take this stuff to the tip where I sort it into it's appropriate skips, so, how is the council going to keep a record of how much and how often I do my recycling?
Unless of course we introduce another layer of bureaucracy and I get a receipt, (hopefully on re-cycleable paper), from the guys at the tip?

Something we'll never see on the side of a HBC Bin Wagon
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 07:28   #13
God Member

Is this the same council who provide 2 skips for the market traders. One for cardboard and one for everything else, including bottle, cans, and paper mixed in with everything else ?
Old 15-08-2010, 07:33   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
4 WHEELIE BINS? how on earth do they manage to fill 4?
With all the failed chicken nuggets and burnt cakes Mick throws over his back yard wall
Old 15-08-2010, 07:36   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Is this the same council who provide 2 skips for the market traders. One for cardboard and one for everything else, including bottle, cans, and paper mixed in with everything else ?
Yes, and they're the lucky ones, who can at least attempt to recycle some commercial trade waste in the borough.

Others get threatened with fines, if there is suspicion that trade waste is recycled with their domestic collection.

Council admits trade waste is not recycled - Accrington Observer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..