Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 21:24   #1
God Member

Milk Snatchers?

History repeated.. the good old days
Health Minister Anne Milton's leaked letter to Scottish Public Health Minister Shona Robison, dated 3 August 2010:

I am writing to you about our proposals to abolish the long-standing statutory Nursery Milk scheme, which is Great Britain-wide, by April 2011.
It does not provide value and has become increasingly outdated.
The scheme is the only remaining part of what was known as the Welfare Food Scheme, which was first introduced in 1940.
Children in very low-income families may be less likely to attend childcare, unless publicly funded places are available. If so, they will not be benefiting from the scheme anyway.
BBC News - Health Minister Anne Milton's letter in full

Oh yes I moan and groan..but what more evidence does anyone need to see that this Government, using the disgiuse of needed cuts, are determined to demolish any social benifits created since the last war?..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2010, 21:48   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Milk Snatchers?

have ya not seen news today mancie? Cameron says no way, even he aint that dumb. said it was just a proposal n he has discounted it, don't like the idea.
Old 08-08-2010, 22:22   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
have ya not seen news today mancie? Cameron says no way, even he aint that dumb. said it was just a proposal n he has discounted it, don't like the idea.
He (Cameron) might not like the idea when it's been leaked. we all know these sort of proposals don't happen overnight.. they are debated behind closed doors and are serious proposals.. I'm still saying this Government will seek any nook or cranny to destroy the basic social welfare.. or if you like "benifits" this Nation created over the last 60 years.
We are less than 5 months into this mob yet they have managed to make themselves immune to any elections for 5 years...set up more quangos than ever, halved defence spending, set up "commisions" to force families out of council homes,they are bent on making massive redudances in the NHS, Education and the Police.. anything that moves, kaks and breathes will be battered... all in the excuse that it was the last Governments fault.. just goes to show you can fool most of the people all the time.
Old 08-08-2010, 22:40   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

They don't fool me mate, there all *******, some just can't see that. just some worse n others.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:19   #5
God Member

I don't see why low income households should pay tax so the children of millionaires can have free milk. There are much better ways of supporting those on low incomes.

Mancie you appear to be continually outraged at anything the 'nasty, wicked, evil Tories' do. Labour took away free school milk for 11-18 year olds as a way to save money. Despite all the milk snatching cries, Labour never reversed Margaret Thatcher's decision on free school milk. I don't think it was them dismantling the welfare state, I just think they realised there was better ways to help the disadvantaged.

Last edited by andrewb; 09-08-2010 at 06:22.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Labour took away free school milk for 11-18 year olds as a way to save money.
Welcome back and thank you for stating the inaccurate, how on Earth can you accuse Labour of taking the milk away? Everyone including you knows it was your wonderful Maggie that did this.

Quote:
Despite all the milk snatching cries, Labour never reversed Margaret Thatcher's decision on free school milk.
No doubt by the time Labour returned to power your lot had made sure that the structure for supplying the milk had been completely destroyed.

Quote:
I don't think
We know you don't and the other non thinker will no doubt be on in you defence within 5 minutes, sooooo, welcome back andrewb's Mum and before you put finger to keyboard do try to engage your brain this time.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Welcome back and thank you for stating the inaccurate, how on Earth can you accuse Labour of taking the milk away? Everyone including you knows it was your wonderful Maggie that did this.
Welcome back? Thank you, but I've not been anywhere.

Harold Wilson scrapped free school milk for 11-18 year olds in 1968.
Margaret Thatcher scrapped it for 7-11 year olds in 1971.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Welcome back? Thank you, but I've not been anywhere.

Harold Wilson scrapped free school milk for 11-18 year olds in 1968.
Margaret Thatcher scrapped it for 7-11 year olds in 1971.
Its a pity it wasn't scrapped when I was at school blody hated the stuff
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its a pity it wasn't scrapped when I was at school blody hated the stuff
I had to make do with a bottle of Youngers No 3

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46   #10
Beacon of light

Mancie, if this government happened to do something of which you approved.....would you compliment them on it?

Cuts have to come.....however much we dislike them, things have to be paid for...we cannot continue to live on the never never.
If you cannot afford milk for your children , then don't have children.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01   #11
Resting in Peace

In any case it looks like it was yet another storm in a T-Cup (milk bottle) as the proposal has now been scrapped.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:39   #12
Senior Member+

Calm down,calm down! let's take the emotion and politics out of this and look at it with detachment.
School milk started in 1940 when Wartime Rationing meant we ALL,including children, were living on the absolute minimum. The government considered it essential that children needed the extra boost.Not because their parents couldn't afford it,they couldn't GET it! And even then,in the 40's,many of us didn't drink it.
That is 70 YEARS ago.Can anyone tell me that in 2010 parents,even on the Welfare System,can't afford 12.5 pence/day for their child to have a glass of milk(based on 189ml/child)? And that is only during school terms.And can it be fair that parents on £30,0000 up to millionares are given subsidised milk(and MANY other subsidies!) paid for by the state(i.e US)
As far back as 2006 a report for the Labour government stated that free milk was of no benifit to children on a modern diet and was a waste of money.
It may only be £59 million, but find 17 more unnecessary schemes like that and you've saved ONE Billion pounds.
By the way, the administration costs for this scheme are 70%-that's £41,000,000.That goes on civil servants, public sector costs etc.And out of the 30% left,the supply companies are making a profit.Value for money?Can't we spend £59million on the children who NEED it and get real value?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:26   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Mancie, if this government happened to do something of which you approved.....would you compliment them on it?

Cuts have to come.....however much we dislike them, things have to be paid for...we cannot continue to live on the never never.
If you cannot afford milk for your children , then don't have children.
Margaret.. seems to me we are not on the same sort of lines...I get the feeling you are inline with the present Governments policies .. I am not ...It's not likely that this Government will get my approval for much of what they do.. I approve on catching benefit cheats..I approve on cutting immigration...but I reckon this sums up your true allegiance..
Qoute from Margaret..."[B]If you cannot afford milk for your children , then don't have children".[/B.. of course.. the talk of the 30's .. you and your Tory minded freinds would love this sort of econmic policey ]
If this country has gone to the grind were we cannot feed children because of the cuts you approve then god help us.

Last edited by Mancie; 11-08-2010 at 04:29.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54   #14
God Member

And so.. Is there anything Margaret, jaysay, or Andrew feel the need to disapprove on any policey of the present Government..?.. we wait with bated breath

Last edited by Mancie; 11-08-2010 at 04:58.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01   #15
God Member

Still ignoring that Labour cut milk in the 1970s Mancie? It was of course the right decision.

Cuts should be made so that the government has money left to help those most in need. We currently have a £149 billion deficit. That is, we're spending £149 billon more than we can afford, every year. It's completely unsustainable and how you can argue in favour of continued spending I don't know.

We should be cutting free milk for the children of millionaires. Why should those on low incomes pay tax to put food in the mouths of millionaires? It seems bizarre that you're advocating it Mancie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..