Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2006, 19:34   #16
God Member

Re: 11th September 2001. what was you doing?

Didnt know anything about it till i went up to pick my niece up from school. We had my cousin and his wife visiting us from ireland so the radio was turned off. Everybody was talking about it up at the school so picked her up and came straight home and turned tv on mum shouted at me to turn it off just in time to see people jumping out of the tower and then the 2nd one crashed. My niece went playing in the garden while we sat and watched it.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2006, 21:37   #17
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
At home watching the whole thing unfold on TV in total disbelief.
Me too, watching Kay Burley on sky news,,,,,,
Old 19-09-2006, 21:49   #18
God Member

was at my nieces on pc but had tv in background couldnt quite believe what i was seeing my heart went out to all those people that day and will never forget it
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 22:33   #19
God Member

I was at work when my other half rang me and told me a plane had gone into the pentagon... everyone quickly hit the net as no one had heard anything in the office before then...believe me no more work got done that day!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 02:24   #20
Yank in King Art's Court!

Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
Kinda went into battle mode as far as food and water supplies, gas for the vehicles and the generator, chicken feed, and even plenty of bullets and shells for the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
really?! why???
Cause we really had no idea what was going on. It was already the start of something big and couldn't be sure what may be next. The news was carrying on about hidden terror cells and such. Better safe than sorry.

We live just outside of Washington, D.C. (~60 miles). They had tried to put a ban on all flying but it took awhile for them to close down all the smaller airports. I guess just the fear of the unknown and protecting the homested.

It wasn't like I was dressed up in fatigues down in a bunker or anything. Just like being prepared for a big snow storm or hurricane.

Did I answer the ? okay Mani?

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 02:27   #21

Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
Kinda went into battle mode as far as food and water supplies, gas for the vehicles and the generator, chicken feed, and even plenty of bullets and shells for the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
really?! why???

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 20-09-2006 at 02:35. Reason: double post
Old 20-09-2006, 23:28   #22
Senior Member+

We were travelling over the Tamar bridge, from Plymouth into Cornwall, and decided to put the car radio on. The first plane had just hit and Brian immediately thought it might be terrorists. We raced home and watched Sky news for hours.

I remember that we felt the need for company around nine in the evening and wandered down to the local. It was packed with shell shocked folk feeling the same as we did.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 23:54   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was driving from stockport with car radio on, thought i'd got wrong station on and was listening to a story at first, then it began to dawn on me this horror was real and happening, went to me daughters and put telly on and must have sat there stunned for a few hours, a friend and his wife had flown out last evening to new york and allsorts was going through me head, luckily as i later discovered they changed planes at new york a couple of hours before it happened.
Old 21-09-2006, 00:15   #24
Resting in Peace

I was exactly where I am now in Denia, Spain on the beach with my friend .. her husband picked us up in the afternoon and said the whole world is crumbling and in cricise, course being in a holiday mood like, just laughed it off, 'til we turned on the telly back at base and realised the seriousness of the situation.

Would you think I was a terrible person that when I realised it was just an incident centrelised in New York rather than the whole world, that I felt a little momentary light relief ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 02:54   #25
Senior Member+

lancyorkyankee - yeah i guess it was different to each person - us watchin it in the uk came up wiht different emotions etc to those barely 60 miles away. i remember the news here kept going on about how there was reports of 2-4 more planes "missing" etc and i was foning up my brother who's in london making sure he got outta the city just in case etc then at hte same time i was fonin florida - a good mate of mine works in NY and i wanted to know if she was ok so i was speaking to her mom and she was.

i do recall in the news that there was a HUGE amount of panic buyin at that time as no one knew for sure how severe the attack was going to be.
Old 21-09-2006, 02:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Would you think I was a terrible person that when I realised it was just an incident centrelised in New York rather than the whole world, that I felt a little momentary light relief ?
Your not a terrible person for thinking that way. I imagine that's probably just a somewhat normal human response.

However, you may be a terrible person for rubbing it in that your sitting on the beach in Spain while we are not!

Brian

Old 22-09-2006, 06:02   #27

I was sitting in my family room chatting on the phone to a friend in Brooklyn! She and her husband were just getting ready for a visit to AUS 4 days later, and called to give me final details. Her husband yelled out something has happened, turn on the tv, I did and watched in horror as the 2nd plane hit the building. They obviously didnt get here for that visit at that time, because apart from flights being cancelled, he is a Lieutenant in the NYPD and she a Nurse and both were much needed there for sometime after the attack took place.

As for sitting on the beach.... thats where I have been today, and will be at least once a week for the next 6 months.... guess im a terrible person too!!

Last edited by eggstoocool; 22-09-2006 at 06:07.
eggstoocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 08:29   #28
Junior Member+

I was doing a weekly bake in the kitchen when my grandchild came to my house and said "nan have you not heard the news..." knowing the telly is never on through the day in our house (I listen to the king when baking and doing house chores) he said the twin towers have been attacked by terrorists (not knowing anything for sure just a childs enthusiasm) my immediate thought was it is his overactive imagination surely I would have seen chaos in the streets if this was true, but he was surely right about one thing the towers had been attacked and my shock was seing this happening on tv and as said in an earlier thread I was releaved that this was'nt a world attack having been a child through WWII it brought back alot of memories that had been hidden deep for many years by all born at the time, the rations ect I went to the country during WWII to live with my Uncle Rueben and Aunt Betty but missed my parents dearly and would not wish another war like that on any generation. Alot of women in Accrington lost Husbands, sons (both) and it was a very depressing time for everyone and this sadness lingered for alot of years after and still does for some of us.
WiseOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..