Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2011, 09:36   #106
God Member

Re: 1300 Bombardier (UKs last Railway stock producer) jobs being lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
number 5 is rubbish as bombardier uk parent company is worth billions
I don't know who is worse....cmonstanley or Mancie. I just like to think of them as Dumb and Dumber.

It probably is the case that Bombardier, as a global entity, is worth billions; but it's UK(EU) subsidiary ain't worth much. Siemens is worth far more than Bombardier internationally and it's main EU (German) operation is worth far more than Bombardier (UK).

The problem with EU bid rules on public sector tendering is that cross-subsidy and financing from outside the EU is not allowed (it's a Franco-German plot to keep out the nasty yanks). Therefore Bombardier UK has to raise the initial finance themselves without resource to it's Canadian parent. That means the banks are going to charge them an awful lot of money, an interest cost built into it's bid submission, a bid which turned out to be far more expensive than that of self-financing Siemens.

It's all a load of bollocks, of course, but it's something we have to live with while we're in the so-called EU. The best thing we can do is to get out, but failing that we should play by the same rules as the scumbags across the channel, which means, for intstance we don't automatically advertise in the OJ (Official Journal of the EU) every time a major engineering project needs undertaking. Currently, a half of such adverts are from the UK....a totally disproportionate number. if we want a job done in the UK, then just give the work to a British company and stuff the rest of 'em.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2011, 10:22   #107
Beacon of light

Re: 1300 Bombardier (UKs last Railway stock producer) jobs being lost

The other way around it is to be so specific that only brit firms are eligible to tender for the contracts.......this what many French or German firms do to circumvent the rules........another way is to break the contract into many small parts so that it flies below the radar of the EU rules.
We are daft, we apply the rules to the letter...which is pretty much why this contract is going abroad...sad isn't it?

I really don't think Mancies believed that I knew what you were talking about.........but as I said, I don't always put in the window what I have in the shop....and I have more oil in my lamp than to translate just because he is to idle to either use his brain, or to google the answers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..