Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 20:15   #1
I am Banned

14 percent

heard on teh radio our council tax is going to be raised %14

anyone else wantto take a guess where the 40 thousand pounds to decorate a room that dosnt get used is going to be coming from
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2007, 21:10   #2
God Member

Re: 14 percent

I think we pay too much already, has it been confirmed?
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 21:19   #3
God Member

Maybe it will go towards paying for extra taffic wardens on Blackburn road...or more money to keep your parks in good order..maybe used to pay for more police go on wild goose chases... in short to pay for all the things Accywebbers constantly moan about... on the other hand, you lot voted for a Tory council so stop whinging!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 21:22   #4
God Member

I think with what we pay already should cover those services Mancie.
Old 27-02-2007, 21:29   #5
God Member

This article was in the telegraph a couple of weeks ago, note the flower basket costs !!

RESIDENTS across Hyndburn are facing a council tax rise of more than £45 a year - with the extra money being spent on public safety and flowers.
Budget proposals also recommend that the cash be spent on providing public transport for the elderly, improving recycling services, and teaching councillors new computer skills.
Hyndburn Council cabinet has been presented with a draft budget for the next financial year, and a finalised version will go to the full council on February 26 for approval.
The council has set aside £23,000 to set up a Floral Market Town Initiative, which will see flower beds and hanging baskets placed in all the town centres.
Council leader Peter Britcliffe said: "It is a case of what you see is probably what you get.
"There will be very few changes made to this budget before it goes to full council.
advertisement

"We are continuing to put community safety, cleansing, waste collection and the residents of Hyndburn at the top of our list of priorities."
Council financial officers have forecast a 5per cent rise in the district council precept.
Do you agree with the spending plans? Add your comments below.
When added to increases in Lancashire County Council, police service, and fire service charges, the average home will have to pay an extra 86p a week - around £45 a year.
Crime-fighting measures are a focus of the proposed spending.
More than £100,000 will be invested in the Community Safety Partnership to secure 18 Police Community Support Officers for the borough.
Money will also be spent developing the CCTV network linked to Greenbank police station.
Coun Britcliffe said: "We are boosting the front line to make Hyndburn a safer place to live, work in and visit.
"We want the people of Hyndburn to feel safe in their own homes and communities."
Coun Britcliffe said of the flower plan: "Now our budget is balanced it is time to make the borough brighter and more aesthetically pleasing.
"It will build on the £500,000 development of Accrington's Broadway by improving the look of Hyndburn."
Old 27-02-2007, 21:31   #6
God Member

Thanks for that Lancsdave
Old 28-02-2007, 07:00   #7
God Member

I already pay more for a Band C house than my colleagues at work who are mainly in D and E band properties

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:22   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Did you read the article in last Fridays Observer. Peter Britcliffe and Greg Pope both said that the Government is not giving Hyndburn the amount of money it is entitled to and the raise in Council Tax is to make up this shortfall. If Government had given us the full amount there would not have been a raise in Hyndburns part of the Council Tax - thanks Mr Blair. Lancashire County Council have also raised there part of our Council Tax as well.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:30   #9
Resident Waffler

Teaching councillors new computer skills? Not before time.

I still can't see anything about Broadway that justifies having spent £500,000 on it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:25   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I still can't see anything about Broadway that justifies having spent £500,000 on it.
Maybe the question is, What can you do for £500,000?
Most of us don't have any idea about what things cost when you talk about road works etc. It's costing the best part of £1 million pounds to build a roundabout at the Britannia Crossroads in Ossy. I pay upto £500 a week when I hire an articulated boom lift (cherry picker) at work for a week, I suspect a JCB is something similar.

You can always put a Freedom of Information Act request into Hyndburn BC asking for a full breakdown of what was spent on what and when on Broadway.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:33   #11
God Member

Its probably not a bad idea to that Neil, anyway on the news this morning it mentioned a rise in council tax but not 14%.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:42   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

HYNDBURN residents are to see a 5.75 per cent rise in their council tax - costing the average household an extra £45 a year.

and its gonna be spent on S**T!!

Last edited by panther; 28-02-2007 at 08:44.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:56   #13
God Member

I agree there spending it on a load of rubbish. Though 5.75% is better than 14%
Old 28-02-2007, 08:57   #14
God Member

Well for once Jockland comes of better .

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:58   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I can think of better things to spend my money on each month!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..