Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2007, 16:21   #46
Senior Member+

Re: 140m.p.h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Why not? Do you have a better idea?
My idea was to lock him up and throw away the key, what's your idea?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2007, 16:39   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
My idea was to lock him up and throw away the key, what's your idea?
Prison?, thst would do more harm than good.

3 Year Ban. and re test required Inc Theory (SP)
£500 Fine
And a Bit a CS.
Old 13-06-2007, 17:16   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Prison?, thst would do more harm than good.

3 Year Ban. and re test required Inc Theory (SP)
£500 Fine
And a Bit a CS.
OK that's not bad, how about a 20 year ban. Older and wiser !!

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-06-2007, 17:25   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Jail isn't the best place for him, we pay for it, he has everything he needs, comes out and will probably do it again but without showing it on youtube and risk getting caught again.
Best punishment is for him to travel in a police car for a month dealing with RTA's, he'll think twice about doing it again, we all call the cops but the scenes these guys deal with is horrific, i've seen quite a few bad ones and I wouldn't have gone near them
I agree with spending the time with the cops as a solution after the fact but, wouldn't it be better to teach them better in the first place? I once worked for an undertaker that was on what they call the "coroners register". This meant that we had to go and pick up accident victims that had been pronounced dead at the scene. Once you've seen that you get a whole new outlook on recklessness. Safe speed is fun but, once you've had to pick up the bodies of a couple that were to be married the very next day it ain't as funny. The woman was pregnant and the closed casket funeral included a 9 inch long coffin for her unborn child. I saw the bodies and, trust me on this one people, it wasn't nice. Drive fast by all means but Please, please, please stay safe. This wreck was caused by someone overtaking while it wasn't safe!
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 17:30   #50
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Maybe we should change the system and teach them better in the first place? Can we blame them for being stupid or do we have to take some responsibility?
I'm not sure about the teaching thing....sometimes young people will learn if it is what they want to learn....sometimes all the education in the world will not affect them because they have other agenda's.
Maybe they should do community service as health care assistants in a local Accident and Emergency unit and see what the staff there do to try to mend the broken lives of people injured in sensless driving accidents....sometimes through no fault of their own.

The only other option is make it impossible for young people under 25 to drive powerful speed machines...that includes motor bikes too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 17:55   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The only other option is make it impossible for young people under 25 to drive powerful speed machines...that includes motor bikes too.
That is a major problem, the young people buy Corsa's and small cars like the Corsa, then set about modifying them to look sleek, sound loud, and go faster. Do they notify their insurers that the cars have been modified to "Go Faster" do parent know what their children are doing, I think the answer to that is a big NO. The sleek, loud music,loud exhausts,wide wheels, overtake you at the traffic lights etc, etc, seems to be the trade mark of the youth of to-day.

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-06-2007, 17:58   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure about the teaching thing....sometimes young people will learn if it is what they want to learn....sometimes all the education in the world will not affect them because they have other agenda's.
Maybe they should do community service as health care assistants in a local Accident and Emergency unit and see what the staff there do to try to mend the broken lives of people injured in sensless driving accidents....sometimes through no fault of their own.

"There is no such thing as a bad student, only a bad tutor", confucious a very long time ago

I agree with limiting the power/speed of youngsters vehicles. We already do it with motorcycles.
Old 13-06-2007, 18:00   #53
Beacon of light

Parents must have some knowledge if their yougster are souping up their vehicles...and should then report them to the appropriate authorities.
I would have no qualms about taking such action if I thought it would save my childs life.....and although these young folk think they are ADULTs....your child is ALWAYS your child,,,be they 14 or 43.
Old 13-06-2007, 18:02   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
That is a major problem, the young people buy Corsa's and small cars like the Corsa, then set about modifying them to look sleek, sound loud, and go faster. Do they notify their insurers that the cars have been modified to "Go Faster" do parent know what their children are doing, I think the answer to that is a big NO. The sleek, loud music,loud exhausts,wide wheels, overtake you at the traffic lights etc, etc, seems to be the trade mark of the youth of to-day.
I may be on a confucious kick here but I think this may apply >>

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people. >> confucious > still a long time ago but I think it's still relevant.
Old 13-06-2007, 18:04   #55
Beacon of light

Piltymon, I don't think I called the youngsters bad students.....I'm only saying that there can be a reluctance to take on board lessons (like life lessons) which their peer group may see as 'uncool'......I have taught young adults and know that peer pressure accounts for much when it comes to learning.
You can provide education....but that does not mean that there will be an uptake of that education.......you can only say that someone has learned something if you can demonstrate a change in behaviour or attitude.....attitudes being the hardest thing to influence.
Old 13-06-2007, 18:12   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Piltymon, I don't think I called the youngsters bad students.....I'm only saying that there can be a reluctance to take on board lessons (like life lessons) which their peer group may see as 'uncool'......I have taught young adults and know that peer pressure accounts for much when it comes to learning.
You can provide education....but that does not mean that there will be an uptake of that education.......you can only say that someone has learned something if you can demonstrate a change in behaviour or attitude.....attitudes being the hardest thing to influence.
Then surely we must teach the whole peer group? I too have tought and have learned that if the lessons make sense and appeal to the student then they are very eager to learn. Are you telling me that as a teacher you couldn't change those attitudes?
Old 13-06-2007, 18:18   #57
I am Banned

Here's a funny to bless your day >> Man who run behind car get exhausted.
Old 13-06-2007, 19:19   #58
Beacon of light

No I'm not saying that I couldn't teach those youngsters....what i'm saying is I wouldn't want to.
The youth culture is such that anyone over a certain age(and I am over that certain age) is seen as a killjoy....and common sense is not that common.
Making sense loses hands down when it interferes with what these youngster consider as fun and exhilaration.
Old 13-06-2007, 19:21   #59
Beacon of light

I firmly believe that kids do not learn from our experiences, they only learn from their own.....and sometimes those lessons have painful, even fatal consequences....and the sad thing is that we can do little to protect them as these youngsters feel they are invincible and immortal. Just my opinion you understand.
Old 13-06-2007, 19:42   #60
I am Banned

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..