Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   In Our Thoughts! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/in-our-thoughts-18451.html)

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 17:16

In Our Thoughts!

My oldest daughter came home from school today and was telling me that during her R.I. lesson the class were told that they had to send Christmas cards to people who would otherwise receive none over the festive season.

What a lovely thought ………. Well hmm no I’m afraid not!

She went on to tell me that the teacher gave each pupil in her class a piece of paper with a picture and a few details about whom their card was to be designated to. My daughter’s recipient is a ‘gentleman’ serving a life sentence for rape and murder!

They were given a piece of script to put in the card, which was worded similar to ‘you are in our thoughts at this time’, along with there full name and what school they attend!

A few of the pupils themselves were uncomfortable sending out these cards, mainly due to the safety aspect, they were fobbed off by the teacher who told them that the school is a safe environment.

I’m sorry but I think this is really wrong, in fact I’m disgusted! Luckily for the school it was late when I got home so there was no one in school to take my call, but I will be having words with them on Monday about this!

Less 09-12-2005 17:44

Re: In Our Thoughts!

Expect to be on hold for a loooooong time I'm sure you won't be the only one ringing on Monday, Teachers claim to be members of a profession, thats why they are on good bucks for what they do, I used to object at some of the things they forced upon my children but this is the worst example of leading lambs to the slaughter I have seen from them for a very long time!

What good can come for the children? None! What good can come for the convicted criminal? None! Surely it would only be adding to any temptation these sick people are already living with?

Find me a bucket I want to be sick!

Then find me the teacher so I can empty the bucket!

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 17:49

Tinks if that had been my daughter put that I would break a cardinal rule and go and break the teachers jaw!!! If it was for orphans or underpriveliged kids I would have no problem but this is PC gone way over the top. :mad: This should not be allowed and the other parents I hope feel the same way as you. They cannot just fob of kids with the safty in school crud. Its not bl****. Sorry for some of the wording but as a parent I am mad a school has gone that far and upset the kids in the process the bunch of stuck up arrogent ******* with fewer ******* brains than a cabbage. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

geoff70 09-12-2005 17:51

i can not belive this utter lunacy ..what teacher in their right mind would not see that this is totally wrong ..and for the children to give their full names .....it beggars belief that not one teacher questioned ...forget about the rant im booking a flight what school did you say it was again ?????? aaarrrrrgghhhhh!!!

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 17:55

Yes your probably right Less but what also concerns me is how many other children in this class have actually gone home and told their parents what has gone on today!

The other thing and it had better be answered adequately for me on Monday, is whether the school is aware what this teacher had the pupils doing in her lesson today!

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 17:56

What in hell has got into the teaching profession? That dosnt even rate a stupid its way beyond that. The head teacher needs their head examined as well for allowing it. Better move before I really start.

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:00

Yes I agree Spug I couldn't believe it when she was telling me. I just kept saying "I beg your pardon! She said you had to do what?"

janet 09-12-2005 18:04

Just two words from me

ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTING

chav1 09-12-2005 18:06

thi sis totaly unbelievable and down right disgusting

your doughter had to sen a card to a rapist/murderer i am seriously wondering if any of her classmates have sent cards to pedophiles

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1

i am seriously wondering if any of her classmates have sent cards to pedophiles

I thought exactly the same thing chav!

chav1 09-12-2005 18:11

now now folks lets not get carried away lets try to be policaly correct

nurders , rapists and pedophiles have feelings too :rolleyes:

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:12

Quote:

nurders , rapists and pedophiles have feelings too :rolleyes:

That's a very christian thought chav, must have been these christian thought that thick teacher was having !

Roy 09-12-2005 18:13

This is utterly unbelievable!! Are some teachers really this stupid??

/By the way, whats an RI lesson?

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:14

Religious Instruction ............ R.E. to us Roy :)

cashman 09-12-2005 18:23

just got back online thanks to mick- and the first thing i see is this,its all well and good being christian- but being stupid is something else, all i can say tinks is i'm glad mine are grown up i think i may have ended up in gaol for my response.

chav1 09-12-2005 18:31

dont we have a member who works at the observer here i wonder if they would cosider this newsworthy

a nice spine chilling story for xmas

children should be thinking of pressies and the fun of xmas ( and jesus if religeous ) not having to write letters to rapists and murderers

when you said people who dont have anyone at christmas i thought of the elderly or orphans but never for one second did i think of rapist and murderers

what disturbs me most is the teacher gave them pieces of paper with their crimes on so that they could se what they were writing to , what the hell was that about i ask . were the children supposed to use the crimes in their letters

dear mr alias

sory you dont have any one to send you a xmas card this year i hope you didnt blunt your axe when murdering your loved ones and i seriously hope you didnt catch anything from the nasty woman you raped

all the best

merry xmas

a small childs name here

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 18:35

I am with you on that Chav this is one for vitty to have a look at.

chav1 09-12-2005 18:39

i think at least parents shoudl have been spoken to before this was allowed to happen

you need a letter from your parents to go to the dentist or leave class early etc yet the school didnt see fit to ask for a letter from parents to say it was ok for their kids to talk to rapists and murderers

if i found out a teacher had made my kids do that i would be up to the school commiting a criminal act myself , as a parent it is my duty to protect my children from scum like this and then a school goes and introduces kids to them

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 18:42

They must have cauliflowers for brains that lot. It is putting the kids in danger regardless of what the teachers say. This should never have been considered and I still want to blouter the glaket galloot.

K.S.H 09-12-2005 18:46

Don't ring them, go down personally and make sure you come home with the card so it can't be sent.

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H
Don't ring them, go down personally and make sure you come home with the card so it can't be sent.

Yes I've already told my daughter that. If the card hasn't already been sent it isn't going to be !!

Acrylic-bob 09-12-2005 18:50

The crass stupidity and irresponsibility displayed by this teacher ought to see him or her severely disciplined, if not sacked and prosecuted.

I think it only right that the teacher and the school should be named and brought to public account, lest they try and brush this abrogation of responsibility under the carpet.

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I think it only right that the teacher and the school should be named and brought to public account, lest they try and brush this abrogation of responsibility under the carpet.

Believe me A-b if everything is as my daughter has said I will name and shame them and take it as high as I possibly can. It is only fair to speak to the school on Monday first to get all the facts.

K.S.H 09-12-2005 18:58

Are we talking a infant or secondary school here?

Tinkerbelle 09-12-2005 18:59

Secondary ...

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 19:01

This school aint the one I think it is because if it is and a certain partys daughter had the same issue there will be blood spilt.

acertun 09-12-2005 19:19

It makes you wonder what is going through the brain of this teacher that she would think up some hare brained scheme such as this. It puts the children at risk and she should have worked out all the pitfalls before she started this stupid project. I think that you should at least ask for her resignation . Wish her a happy hunnakah before you leave

Acrylic-bob 09-12-2005 19:42

I can appreciate that children must be instructed in what is termed "The Corporal Works of Mercy" of which, visiting the imprisoned is one (number six of seven). Indeed this is an example of charity that the late Pope made a special point of observing. He even corresponded with the Turkish chap who tried to kill him. However, he was the Pope, a Philosopher and and quite an old and experienced man, who, it must be believed, knew what he was doing. Not an impressionable and vulnerable schoolchild.

Doug 09-12-2005 19:55

Is this just your daughter’s class or the whole school. It maybe an independent act on behalf of a do goodie who perhaps should know better or another lefty in the education department at LCC. Whatever it is it’s a disgraceful act and involving children in this issue is deceitful, distasteful and without the consent of the parents, criminal. Let us know what happens Tinks.

park381 09-12-2005 20:05

Chav's right on this, get an article in the observer, I think everyone should be aware of this teachers way of working, and parents put on their guard

jimmi5bellies 09-12-2005 20:13

Happen the teacher is an ex-con themselves and felt really left out at Christmas.
The teacher deserves a good kick up the rse !

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Happen the teacher is an ex-con themselves and felt really left out at Christmas.
The teacher deserves a good kick up the rse !

Dont think ex cons can be teachers.

jimmi5bellies 09-12-2005 20:24

Happen they lied on their police check ... :p , changed name by deed pole ! lol.

Pity you cant name and shame the school.

SPUGGIE J 09-12-2005 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Happen they lied on their police check ... :p , changed name by deed pole ! lol.

Pity you cant name and shame the school.

They couldnt do it tha way either name changes would show up as well on a complete ID work over. Had one of them and they are thourgh

KiTChener 09-12-2005 21:31

Disgraceful action from our so-called 'professionals', as they like to think of themselves.

I agree, Tinks, you should talk to Head first, but, if you are not happy with outcome, please feel free to 'name & shame' the school on here.

Or, at least, PM all members, so less danger of slander/libel accusations.........we all know that, nowadays, victims are guilty!!!
Somehow, someone, somewhere, will decree it's your child's fault!!!!

ANNE 09-12-2005 21:50

I have heard some pretty wild things in my time.
But this takes the buiscuit.
How stupid can you get?
I would go up to the school,rather than phone them Tinks.
I'm with cashman.
I am so glad my kids are all grown up.

KiTChener 09-12-2005 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNE
I am so glad my kids are all grown up.

Anne, once they're grown up, they then spawn grandkids, & the problem is never ending!!!
I'm sure my 12yr old grandaughter is probably at same school as Tinks's offspring, that's why I am so concerned, as she ( my g'dtr) may possibly come home & not tell us about it, through embarrasment.
At least, Tinks has a child that can talk to his/her mother.... these days, I'm afraid not many kids can do this.

KiTChener 09-12-2005 22:06

Sorry, Tinks, just re-read posts,
when I replied, didn't realise it was your daughter, my sincere apologies for referring to her as your 'offspring' !!!!!

garinda 09-12-2005 22:34

Bloody disgusting.

A card, but no present for the poor little rapist/murderer. Aren't the teachers teaching them anything about good manners?

Tinks I know you, and know you will listen to how on earth the school justifies this stupidity. Can't wait for you to report back to us all here with what they say.

grannyclaret 09-12-2005 22:43

one minute we are being told we cant have christmas coz it may upset some people.. but this is much worse,,, ...

garinda 09-12-2005 22:51

If it is as your daughter said, and I don't doubt her, you should phone the national press, they'd love this idiocy.

Whoever organised this deserves public humilation, just before they are sacked.

mez 09-12-2005 22:55

I Just Agree With Every One ......im Flabergasted .........left Speechless !!!!!!!!

chav1 09-12-2005 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
I Just Agree With Every One ......im Flabergasted .........left Speechless !!!!!!!!

now that i would pay good money to see :D

accymel 09-12-2005 23:03

Well Tinks knows my shock & disgust on this having my godaughter tell me as well herself im extremely disgusted there are far better ways of doing christian service like elderly, children in hospital over the festive period even those effected by natural disasters BUT even then annominity of the child should be confidential being a minor. People in jail have by choice chosen their path to spend xmas in prison they are there for a reason to keep them from the public, even worse worryingly being scum murderers & rapists who knows even peodo's & this certainly opens up vunerable children to be exposed to this lowlife & even WORSE no consent from parents were asked for!!! Who does this teacher think he/she is?!?!?!? prison has its own chaplins for those scumbags wanting religious blessings.

I would take this matter to the top certainly a phone call to the education authority [LEA** & you want action immediately certainly you want to make sure by ringing head 1st thing that confirmation that the cards haven't been sent & you want it returned to yourself to destroy as proof it hasn't been sent if your daughter doesn't get this card returned to her or your possession then you demand from LEA [head person of secondary school eduction officier] a FULL investigation!!!! I would even take this matter to the observer or telegraph or both so that parents are fully warned to take interest in their childs curricula, as like its been said some children either cant talk to their parents or that they dont feel it was something to worry about because they beleived their teacher of position of authority was doing the right thing & feel that it was ok because even kids feel school would consider & protect their safety so hence nowt to worry about -- which isnt the case here!! Parents, teachers & pupils need to learn & be aware of! If u need me i will help.

chav1 09-12-2005 23:23

personaly i would ring the national papers like the sun , star etc they love these kind of stories

garinda 09-12-2005 23:24

Quote:

personaly i would ring the national papers like the sun , star etc they love these kind of stories

Makes a change, you usually bark at the moon.:)

chav1 09-12-2005 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
Makes a change, you usually bark at the moon.:)

i am going to walk away from this thread for 5 mins and when i come back you had better have started talking sense :confused:

edit:

oh hang on i get it

sun ,star and moon :D

gabby 10-12-2005 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
My oldest daughter came home from school today and was telling me that during her R.I. lesson the class were told that they had to send Christmas cards to people who would otherwise receive none over the festive season.

What a lovely thought ………. Well hmm no I’m afraid not!

She went on to tell me that the teacher gave each pupil in her class a piece of paper with a picture and a few details about whom their card was to be designated to. My daughter’s recipient is a ‘gentleman’ serving a life sentence for rape and murder!

They were given a piece of script to put in the card, which was worded similar to ‘you are in our thoughts at this time’, along with there full name and what school they attend!

A few of the pupils themselves were uncomfortable sending out these cards, mainly due to the safety aspect, they were fobbed off by the teacher who told them that the school is a safe environment.

I’m sorry but I think this is really wrong, in fact I’m disgusted! Luckily for the school it was late when I got home so there was no one in school to take my call, but I will be having words with them on Monday about this!

I fully agree with you I think this schools headmaster who presumeably has agreed to this wants a harsh kick up the backside for encouriging this stupidety to children when they should be protecting them from this sort of behaveour can acually encourage them to feel sorry for theese people, sorry if i ofend any~one but children should have a happy childhood not one of feeling sorry for wrong doorers you have my full support !

chav1 10-12-2005 00:05

i dont think you have upset anyone gabby it appears everyone is disgusted at this

Bad-Wolf 10-12-2005 00:11

Tinks,

You should take that much further, the school by doing this has broken several codes of conduct, in fact it is a serious breach.

Not only should you complain to the school but I would strongly suggest going to the local education board. I am not sure who they are where you are but I think you are still Lancashire County Council where you are.

I can not comment on the school but the indivdual teacher should be held accountable. Though I would take it much further than just a call to the school.

gabby 10-12-2005 00:23

thank you ~~~I feel very strongly about childrens thoughts and the way people play upon there inocence and I too think for a school where they are suppose to teach right from wrong that this is absolutly dissgusting

gabby 10-12-2005 00:49

tinks love, I don't think you will be the only one by a long way to be upset at the school, I bet there are going to be lots of complaints over this. I was realy shocked when i read this, just stand up for what you believe to be right for your children MAKE THIS AN ISSUE and i'm certain you will have every-ones back up. You certainly have mine 100%

chav1 10-12-2005 01:35

i wonder how many parents dont know what their children have been doing because not all children go home and talk about school

Ber999T 10-12-2005 05:35

:mad: It beggers belief that this can be allowed to happen. Talk about "putting the cat amongst the pigeons" or the "wolf in sheeps clothing"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope that the school stops this from happening and sends out an open letter of appoligy to the childern and their families :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Neil 10-12-2005 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Religious Instruction ............ R.E. to us Roy :)

Sounds very Catholic that, "Instruction" instead of "Education".
I think you should complain in person on Monday morning to the Head Teacher. Don't phone, go in and insist that the teacher explain's to you personally why your daughter is being exposed to a rapist at school. I would also complain in writing to Lancashire County Council, make sure you inform the Head that you will be complaining to LCC as well. This Teacher should be sacked.

Debbie J 10-12-2005 08:34

I fully agree with everyones total disgust. It is ridiculous that children are exposed to this sort of danger.
I have an aquaintence who is 'religous' and feels so sorry for the men on death row in America that she writes to some of them and her annual holiday is spent visiting them. I have never understood her, or her husband if they hadn't committed the crimes they would be free to enjoy their liberty. They are however adults and I accept they have a right to their belief.
Children are neither old enough or mature enough to protect themselves against these animals and should never be in put danger by those who think they know better.
A question I would like answered is this; What happens when these animals have a childs name and school address and decide to write back to them? I think it is illegal to with hold mail from the person whose name is on the envelope, therefore a child having written to a criminal, by law should recieve any replies. The consquences of this do not bear thinking about!
Sack the teacher and the headmaster and replace the governers who allowed this attrocity to take place.

KiTChener 10-12-2005 09:05

There must be someone on here, more computer literate than I am, who can simply e-mail a link to this thread to all the national press..................
This scandalous situation requires far more exposure.

SPUGGIE J 10-12-2005 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiTChener
There must be someone on here, more computer literate than I am, who can simply e-mail a link to this thread to all the national press..................
This scandalous situation requires far more exposure.

Weres theres a will there is a way but its best left until Tinks sees them on Monday to get the reasoning behind this stupidity. To force the issue prior to that would be detrimentel to any argument or action that has/will be taken. Once all has been done that can be done then let the papers have it but until then we can support tinks and the other parents in this situation because the more of them that do it officially the more chance of a result. If they are fobbed of then its fed to the press to run with. Better to be safe than sorry.

Less 10-12-2005 12:50

Before you go to the school, put down your thoughts in a letter then when your confronting the head master you can tell him you intend to email it to the [email protected]

If the school thinks you have the power of the BBC behind you then, you will probably find that they will be encouraged to take prompt action.

SPUGGIE J 10-12-2005 12:53

Less is this you sugesting a small bit of blackmail or technical leaverage to aquire a disired result??

Gayle 10-12-2005 12:55

Good suggestion Less, it's surprising how quickly people move if they think their actions are going to be exposed in the National press or media.

SPUGGIE J 10-12-2005 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle
Good suggestion Less, it's surprising how quickly people move if they think their actions are going to be exposed in the National press or media.

Once it is fixed the press shoould still get it in order to discourage any school nationwide that it is not acceptable. There could be others running along similar lines but no one has complained.

Less 10-12-2005 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Less is this you sugesting a small bit of blackmail or technical leaverage to aquire a disired result??

No not me, Blackmail is such a terrible business, mainly these days because with cameras going digital you can't charge extra for the negatives!:eek:
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Anim...S_camera_2.gif

chav1 10-12-2005 13:38

carefull with the blackmail less or you too may be recieving letters at christmas from school children :D

SPUGGIE J 10-12-2005 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less
No not me, Blackmail is such a terrible business, mainly these days because with cameras going digital you can't charge extra for the negatives!:eek:
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Anim...S_camera_2.gif

Well it would have to be the second sugetion then it sounds better.

:Banane57: :Banane57: :Banane57:

Romps 10-12-2005 15:40

OMG why don't they just invite them into school and give them all the childrens names and addresses..............................what in Gods name are they thinking of.........what happened to Child protection, data protection, parental consent and confidentiality. what a bloddy joke, sorry I never swear on here but really. Hey Tinks if it turns out to be as bad as it sounds I think it's worth a chat with the local press.

Please keep us posted.

Sara 10-12-2005 17:17

In the past i've had problems trying to see the headteacher of a certain secondary school (have a feeling it's the same one) over certain issues. I think it would be easier to speak to HRH personally. If you don't get to talk to her straight away or get fobbed about her been out all day in meetings, just ask for the chair of governors contact number and also which priest is on the governors and say you are contacting them straight away. Once did that not so long ago and suprise suprise received a phone call from the head not long after. In fact i'd think i would contact the chair as well as the school, because he probably doesn't know what's happening.

Whilst typing this i finally spoke to my daughter (who is at her friends), because i knew she had made Christmas cards in her RE lesson this week. I asked her had she sent any cards to any strangers after been told to by the teacher,she said yes to an Asain person, i asked her for more details about the person and she said she didn't have any because she doesn't like the lesson or the teacher so day dreams through most of it. Think it's absolutely disgusting and really hope that the teacher gets at least a sevear reprimand over it. Please update us on Monday Tinks about the outcome.

chav1 10-12-2005 17:43

ime sure the asian person will aprreciate the CHRISTmas card , are these teachers totaly backwards :confused:

admitidly to me asian means chineese but the majority of asian/pakistani are muslim and wont realy care for a christmas card from anyone never mind a stranger

geoff70 10-12-2005 18:11

i can see an irony coming here ,if the asian makes a complaint for getting the christmas card. there will be the devil to pay ,were as if you make your complaint you might be fobbed off, swept under the carpet, given the run around ,you knows what im saying ..and it is your little ones whos personal security has been compromised ,back yourself up tinks if you feel that strong about it talk to a solicitor,dont let the school make a fool out of you !!!

Sara 10-12-2005 20:20

[quote=chav1]ime sure the asian person will aprreciate the CHRISTmas card , are these teachers totaly backwards :confused:
/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more.

SPUGGIE J 10-12-2005 20:27

Depends on the context the person involved sees it Jesus is a profit in Islam though the Lord in Christianity.

mani 10-12-2005 21:09

woah!!!

i mean ok forgive and all buyt this is a lil too much

givin cards to ppl like htat

WillowTheWhisp 10-12-2005 21:10

In a society where the PC brigade are telling us we should avoid referring to Christmas in case it upsets muslims (not that any I know have ever expressed any upset over our celebration of the festival) it seems incredible that a school teacher should get a child to send a Christmas card to an Asian person they do not even know! Is the person Christian or muslim? Does the teacher know?

That's bad enough but sending a card to a convicted rapist and murderer and putting the child's full name and school on it is beyond belief. Has the teacher got an ounce of sense? School is a safe place? Is it? Tell that to the parents of children murdered by a school janitor.

mani 10-12-2005 21:29

willow - what u have to remember is one thing

the pc brigade say that u shudnt refer to christmas etc cause u'll offend etc

yet as far as i'm aware there's never been an incident where an asian has said i'll b offended!

sometimes the pc brigade shoot the gun so that it looks liketheyr'e doin sommet.

there isnt an asian that doesnt look forward to christmas if its for the holidays and the crimbo movies.

geoff70 11-12-2005 06:34

i think its the pc brigade that are causing all this friction ...its time for the goverment to help all people who want to be british whatever race or religion ..forget this multiculuralisim ...if you want live in the united kingdom respect the culture of the host nation ,which doesnt stop you from following the religion you are affiliated to .....but its this pc brigade that are alienating the vast law abiding population .a population that they dont even take into consideration when they come up with these hair brained schemes ...a population that is made up of people from all over the globe ,who have adopted a british way of life ,who fly the st george flag with pride ..bet the pc's dont know about that one...they drink bitter talk in cockney slang ,eat pies watch their footie teams and read about the decisions these fools make with total dismay!!!
so the majority are now being forgoten, and discriminated against for the minority ..well i put this to you fine people ,in the houses of parliment would the minority ever hold influence or sway over the majority ...no i dont think so then why should we be forced to by these faceless creeps !!!
sorry for the thread hijack tinkerbelle

Neil 11-12-2005 06:46

I think I know which school you are talking about Tinks.
Here are a few bits from its last Ofsted report. It is a few year old so they are probably due again soon.

Quote:

Where the school has weaknesses
· Governors do not play an active enough role in the management of the school.
· Provision for pupils with special educational needs is unsatisfactory.
· Teaching and curriculum development are not adequately monitored and evaluated.
· Planning to ensure pupils’ progress and the continuity of their learning is unsatisfactory in most subjects,
and the information gathered through assessment is not used in planning the curriculum.
· Resources for learning, including textbooks, library stock, equipment and information technology resources,
are inadequate.
· There are not enough support staff.
· Statutory requirements are not met for:
- information technology in Key Stage 4
- appraisal
- the content of the school prospectus
- the content of the governors’ annual report to parents.
Quote:

The parents’ views of the school
What some parents are not happy about

· Homework.
· They are not given a clear understanding of what is taught.
· The school does not handle their complaints well.
Quote:

The small number of lessons where teaching is unsatisfactory shows that there are few major weaknesses. Yet many lessons, although satisfactory in promoting learning, are somewhat dull and uninspiring. The challenge for this school is to raise the standard of the teaching by emphasising high expectations, enthusiasm and energy.
Quote:

The quality and range of resources for learning are poor: there has been little improvement in provision since the previous inspection.
Quote:

There are insufficient textbooks to support the curriculum in many subjects, such as geography, history, mathematics, modern foreign languages, science and personal and social education. In English, pupils are
obliged to use texts for GCSE English Literature examinations which have been copiously annotated by candidates in previous years. There are not enough modern foreign language reading books for the demands of the National Curriculum.

SPUGGIE J 11-12-2005 08:43

Neil it reads like how not to run a school. And people wonder why their children are fed up at school bunk of and do poorley in exams.

Romps 12-12-2005 11:45

How did you get on Tinks?

vitty 12-12-2005 13:49

From a reporter's point of view, this is a very interesting thread:

As a newspaper, our chief aim is to cover items with a public interest and this definitely falls in to that category.

As a local newspaper, we have a strong responsibility to our readers to be...responsible.

If this went to the nationals they would a) do it briefly b) do it sensationally c) probably treat the parents badly too.

They will never have to deal with those people again; whereas these people are our bread and butter contacts.

In short - we would do it better.

And then if our story is deemed 'good' enough, it is covered by the other newspapers anyway.

Yes, as an Observer reporter I am bound to say all this....but I think we will cover this story better than anyone else (especially our friends across town :) )

Margaret Pilkington 12-12-2005 13:59

It certainly needs to be covered in a sensitive way. What I mean by that is so that the pupils do not feel bad about having told the story.

Margaret Pilkington 12-12-2005 14:00

The school in question certainly need bringing to book if this is what is going on.

vitty 12-12-2005 14:01

Well, noone would be named.

Under the rules, papers cannot speak to/name under 16s without the permission of a parent or loco parentis person (i.e. school teacher etc), so unless Tinks or another parent let us, we couldn't name them.

We would, however, have to name the school.

Margaret Pilkington 12-12-2005 14:04

Sometime though that will make the children feel guilty by association.....I don't know if I am making myself clear.....but sometimes when you know that you have been involved in something unpleasant you feel that everyone else knows too.

vitty 12-12-2005 14:06

I see what you mean, but I can't see a way around it.

Sometimes when yo expose something like this, you are automatically associated with it.

We always have to weigh up in situations like this: Does bringing to public attention a matter of public interest outweigh the unavoidable exposure of innocent/not innocent people?

Here, the answer is yes.

Doug 12-12-2005 14:07

I would concur with that Vitty and Margaret’s sentiments. The last thing that’s required is this blowing out of all proportion. I think that an approach should be made to the head first to establish if this is an isolated incident and or a rouge element in the school. Do I understand that you are proposing to take this matter up?

vitty 12-12-2005 14:09

I will take the matter up (though I am off work this week).

We need to know what school it is. It is unfair just to assume it is the school whose Ofsted report appears on this thread.

And I can't just go accusing all high schools in the town of this.

I have sent a message to Tinks and hopefully she will get back to me soon.

Tealeaf 12-12-2005 15:06

I expect that the questions that will now have to be asked must include the following:

1) Did this teacher act on his/her own initiative on this project?

2) If so, did she or did she not refer upwards to the headteacher/teaching supervisor (head of department/year head)? If not,what action has been taken against her?

3) If she did not act on her initiative, then presumably this idea arose from the LCC/Headmaster/teaching supervisor and was thus passed down to the teacher. From where exactly did the idea come and did the teacher object?

4) Assuming that the teaching staff do pocess some common sense, did they first write to the parents informing them of their intentions?

5) Under what part of the Common Cirriculum would this exercise fall? OK, it's under RI - but I would have assumed that the art of letter writting would come under English.

6) Who was responsible for drawing up the list of those in prison? What criteria were used in drawing up the list? Where were the original names obtained from? Has their been any involvement here by such liberterian organisations such as the Howard League? Have the prisoners themselves been informed of this scheme?

WillowTheWhisp 12-12-2005 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mani
willow - what u have to remember is one thing

the pc brigade say that u shudnt refer to christmas etc cause u'll offend etc

yet as far as i'm aware there's never been an incident where an asian has said i'll b offended!

sometimes the pc brigade shoot the gun so that it looks liketheyr'e doin sommet.

there isnt an asian that doesnt look forward to christmas if its for the holidays and the crimbo movies.

I know mani, and the ironic thing is that asian neighbours of ours have got a Christmas tree and yet the stupid PC morons would tell us not to have one in case we upset them!

Why can't we all just be left alone to get on with each other? When on holiday in a country where we were in the minority we weren't offended by the religious symbols and local customs there. It's mad isn't it?

Look forward to hearing what you've found out at school today Tinks.

There's another bit of PC school nonsense in todays paper but thankfully they've seen sense about this one. The government's "Teachernet" website had some information about what they should do (or mostly shouldn't do) this Christmas. It included:

Protecting children from the scary prospect of coming face to face with a terrifying figure dressed in red sporting a long white beard and shouting "ho, ho, ho"
in case they become so traumatised it gives them nightmares. Nervous children should be placed near a door so that they can ecsape if necessary!

No competitive games at Christmas parties in case the losers get an inferiority complex.

To wrap Christmas presents in old newspapers tied up with bits of wool (why wool?) as this is environmentally friendly and far less wasteful than Christmas wrapping paper and sellotape.

And the best one of the lot in the light of Tinkerbelle's opening post in this thread - discouraging children from sending Christmas cards to each other as this is wasteful and environmentally unfriendly.

As I said, they've seen sense about it, maybe following complaints, because the advice has now been removed, but who on earth dreams up this rubbish in the first place?

Gayle 12-12-2005 16:24

It almost sounds like it's a spoof site, Willow, doesn't it? Unfortunately, realise that it's all too real!

Margaret Pilkington 12-12-2005 19:11

There ARE some Asian Christians......I know that when I worked in the health service we brought some staff over from India - some of the nurses on the ward thought that this would mean that these girls would be allocated to work over Christmas.....they just assumed that they would be muslims......every single one we employed on our unit was a Christian.

Margaret Pilkington 12-12-2005 19:13

And Vitty...yes, I do think that if the situation is verified that is should be exposed.....but in a non-sensationalist way......Not like the Ham Pizzas that the LET screamed about from the front pages.

vitty 12-12-2005 21:09

Of course Indian Christians exist. Christian missionaries operated while the British administered the country.

garinda 12-12-2005 21:51

Come on Miss Tinks, is there any update from the school?

I hope you've not sold out to one of the Sunday papers, and will be pictured in something skimpy telling all next week.;)

SPUGGIE J 12-12-2005 22:28

Hope the lack of update aint because she skelp the teacher.

Acrylic-bob 13-12-2005 04:55

Perhaps she has been given detention for "being difficult and unappreciative of the sterling efforts of teaching staff". Naughty Tinks!

chav1 13-12-2005 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Perhaps she has been given detention for "being difficult and unappreciative of the sterling efforts of teaching staff". Naughty Tinks!

it is quite possible that she has been mistaken for a pupil and is now been made to write letters to convicts as well :D

if you need a letter to get you out of school tinks ime sure somone here will write you one :)

Tinkerbelle 13-12-2005 09:34

I've just had my answer sorry for not posting but the school was playing a game of 'pass the book'. These cards are for Amnesty International. The prisoner isn't in this country but yes it is true. The teacher I have just spoke to said she was just acting on her Head of Departments orders and I have to speak to him tomorrow, he's out practising for a carol service. My daughters card has been removed from being sent. I will post more when I can I just need to sit and calm down down for a littlw while, I'm livid!!!!

SPUGGIE J 13-12-2005 09:42

Tinks you have every right to be livid even though the cards are going abroad that is not the point. If you want the teacher skelped as a parent I will gladly oblige. Give that glaiket head of department both barrels regardless and make sure he is as upset as your daughter was.

Tinkerbelle 13-12-2005 09:47

I am livid Spug. I just don't understand it though. The teacher herself was no help, she just kept saying she was sorry and just acting on her Head of Departments orders, infact she did sound like she was sh***ing herself! I'll know more tomorrow when I have spoke to this Head of Dep. Apparently these cards go out all over the world, China, Russia were 2 that she mentioned. I just don't 'get it' at the minute! Why? Obviously none of you can answer it will be a question for the moron tomorrow!

garinda 13-12-2005 09:55

Thanks for the update hun. You have every right to be livid. Good luck tomorrow.