Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   woodland burials (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/woodland-burials-19081.html)

WillowTheWhisp 19-01-2006 12:43

woodland burials

The Bishop of Burnley has consecrated a bit of woodland so that a family could have a Christian burial there. It sounds like a lovely idea, a beautiful peaceful setting. Apparently if you opt for a woodland burial you must have a bio-degradeable coffin (looked like a woven basket) and plant a tree rather than have a headstone. Very nice. Then I suddenly thought - what happens in future years if somebody unearths a skeleton? No headstone, no traces of a coffin. Would it lead to a possible murder enquiry?

garinda 19-01-2006 12:50

Re: woodland burials

Slightly off topic so sorry, but I read that Sikhs are to take Newcastle Council to the European Court of Justice because it only provides cremations and not traditional funeral pyres. All to be heard with the benefit of Legal Aid.

This they say it's an infringment of their human rights, as they aren't able to practice their religion properly. Total madness. If they don't like it they should move back to the Indian sub-continent, and have as many fires as they like.

Back on thread, the woodland setting sounds lovely. However I intend to be scattered to the four winds up on Ossy moors.:)

SPUGGIE J 19-01-2006 12:57

If you plant a tree its siting along with the grave should show in a set of records held by the Church so they know who is burried. As it is concecrated ground it might still show as a cemetery.

WillowTheWhisp 19-01-2006 12:57

I don't think it will show as a cemetary, that's supposedly the whole point. It's not an area for oodles of graves, at least I don't thnk so.

I know where I'd like to be scattered, I think I'd better do something about making sure my nearest and dearest are aware.

Doug 19-01-2006 12:58

These types of burials have to be registered with the Local Authority; the position of the grave is located on utility and land use maps to avoid misconstrued assumptions if unearthed. You also need to consider that the depth of the burial will rule out any general unearthing by animals, unless they have access to a JCB. The tree is also registered as a grave marker to insure that its not felled or cleared in a manner that disturbs the grave. Just a note that you can’t just go anywhere, there are rules regarding water sources etc.

garinda 19-01-2006 13:01

There are only about five plots left at Immanuel Church yard in Oswaldtistle.

Anybody that prefers a burial should source their plot now.

You could use it as a place to have a picnic, until you needed it for it's proper use.;)

SPUGGIE J 19-01-2006 13:05

The whole Idea has a nice ring to it. You are burried and then supply the tree with what it needs. Its rebirth in a way and eco friendly.

garinda 19-01-2006 13:08

Perhaps HBC could provide an even greener alternative?

Just pop your dearly departed in one of the green wheelie bins, and hey presto.;)

Doug 19-01-2006 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
The whole Idea has a nice ring to it. You are burried and then supply the tree with what it needs. Its rebirth in a way and eco friendly.

That’s a pleasant and comforting thought spuggie, very commendable comments which will put you on my to give list for the next time it will let me give you karma. :)

Doug 19-01-2006 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
Perhaps HBC could provide an even greener alternative?

Just pop your dearly departed in one of the green wheelie bins, and hey presto.;)

This however is not.....:eek:

Therefore I shell endeavour to make sure that I tiss in your green wheelie the very next time I pass your back yard :D

garinda 19-01-2006 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
This however is not, therefore I shell endeavour to make sure that I tiss in your green wheelie the very next time I pass your back yard :D

'Scuse me, courtyard if you don't mind.:)

Doug 19-01-2006 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
'Scuse me, courtyard if you don't mind.:)

Cobbles…………:D

grannyclaret 19-01-2006 14:14

I dont want a burial at all .... i cant stand worms now..so i dont want them crawling all over me....YUK...

SPUGGIE J 19-01-2006 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret
I dont want a burial at all .... i cant stand worms now..so i dont want them crawling all over me....YUK...

;) So its a bar-b-que then? ;)

grannyclaret 19-01-2006 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
;) So its a bar-b-que then? ;)

well you could wait for high tide,, and then feed me to the fish,,:D