Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2005, 19:05   #1
I am Banned

20p return

got to thinking about recycling and maybe they should force pop companies to use glass bottles with a 20p return like they used to years ago

may also stop kids smashing bottles if they knew they could get money back for them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2005, 19:11   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 20p return

Apparently they still use the deposit system in Holland and it works very well;I can't understand why it fell out of favour,I would guess that glass is far more expensive to produce than plastic.
Old 17-06-2005, 19:44   #3
Beacon of light

When we were kids it was the only way we ever got any pocket money.......collecting pop bottles.
My brothers had a real scam going......There was a grocers on the corner of Richmond Hill St......owned by a guy called Frank Greenhalgh. He used to keep his Cheshire Milk bottle returns in crates in his backyard........my brothers used to crawl in through the bin door and bring out the returned milk bottles and then take them back to a shop that was on the corner of Major St.......they got three happence for each bottle.

We used to pool the money and then when we went to St Anne's we used to go on the pier and spend the money in the slot machines........aaaah, happy days.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 20:14   #4
I am Banned

i spent my child hood collecting the empty bottles throen out by patients at accy vic

the woman in the corner shop near by never did figure out where we were gettiong all the bottles from especialy as we rarely bought them lol
Old 17-06-2005, 22:02   #5
God Member

even if glass is more expensive if the pop companies were getting them back then I'm sure it would work out better all round

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 22:12   #6
white rabbits

i am sure you are right about yobo,s thinking twice before smashing bottles.
but then again ,they have more money than sense these days..
Old 17-06-2005, 22:35   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The plastic bottles can be recycled as well. Plastic is lighter than glass so costs less to transport. How do you know what has been put into glass bottles before they are returned? The bottles that are put into bottle banks are not washed and reused, so there must be hygene issues.

As far as smashing glass bottles, why not stop using glass bottles altogether?
Old 17-06-2005, 22:41   #8
I am Banned

well barr used to use money back bottles and i never heard of anyone getting poisoned from them and milk has been put in glass bottles for years and still is

also kids drinking bottles of pop on the street are hardly going to bother taking them home to put in the recycling box but may be more inclined to keep hold of a glass bottle as it will get them 20p off their next purchase when they return it

Last edited by chav1; 17-06-2005 at 22:43.
Old 17-06-2005, 22:57   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
got to thinking about recycling and maybe they should force pop companies to use glass bottles with a 20p return like they used to years ago

may also stop kids smashing bottles if they knew they could get money back for them
makes sense but i'd have a bigger return value say 50p.
Old 17-06-2005, 22:59   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
well barr used to use money back bottles and i never heard of anyone getting poisoned from them and milk has been put in glass bottles for years and still is
One of the lads I work with used to work on plastic bottling machines. He said that reusing glass bottles is expensive and requires special equipment to sense for things in the bottles like petrol or weedkiller etc. He also suggested that big companies just wont take the risk of poisoning someone.
Old 17-06-2005, 23:04   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

on second thoughts bottles with a return on them,used to be put in crates when crates were full they were stored in the yard example=co-op on ribblesdale avenue,then young scallys used to climb into the yard at night pinch a good few empties and return them to a differant shop the following morning.coarse i only heard rumours of this practice.hehe.
Old 18-06-2005, 04:00   #12
God Member

I don't think that this is such a bad idea at all.

Especially when one considers that the main drawback in recycling glass is that no one wants to use the mountains of the stuff we already collect. Arguments about hygiene, petrol and weedkiller make no sense at all when one considers the temperature to which glass must be subjected to make it molten. In any case I am sure it would not take too many resources to develop machinery which could subject crushed glass to washing before it is introduced into a furnace. Any remaining bacteria would be killed, petrol burnt off and chemicals safely incorporated into the glass. This sounds like the arguments of an industry that has no intention of going the extra mile for the sake of the environment because it is too easy to continue raping the countryside in search of raw materials. This is an area where taxation could have a beneficial effect.
Old 18-06-2005, 09:11   #13

Well I'm definately in favour of this. I think more people would take the bottles back with money involved. Money makes everything look better
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 09:15   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Arguments about hygiene, petrol and weedkiller make no sense at all when one considers the temperature to which glass must be subjected to make it molten.
A-B we were talking about bottles being returned for reuse like they used to be. The bottles were washed and refilled. No one is going to give you 20p for a bottle they are going to smash and melt down ( if you do melt down the glass that is ).
Old 18-06-2005, 09:23   #15
Resident Waffler

Why can't we have returnable plastic pop bottles? Panda pops at 20p would be 40p with 20p back when you take the bottle back. That might be an incentive.

I do think all that steaming and cleaning and sterilising they have to do to re-use bottles makes it rather expensive. Maybe milk bottlers can afford to do it because they get a subsidy? Just wondred about that. I've seen returned milk bottles in crates with green slime in them - yuck!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..