Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2005, 09:27   #1

Fathers Day.

Does anyone know where fathers day, or even mothers day originates from. Is there a story behind it, or is it just another way to make us buy cards. Not that I'm not in favour of these days, it is nice to get the family round clutching a bottle or two.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2005, 09:44   #2
I am Banned

Re: Fathers Day.

i think its yet another ploy to make us buy cards although it is in decline as quite a lot of kids these days dont know who their fathers are

valentines day is the biggest con of all and the card makers and florrists have us by the nuts because even though we realise that the price of cards and flowers doubles for valentines we have to surrender because our loved ones would have our nuts in a sling if we dont comply lol

even when we agreed not to bother with valentines day i was in the bad books because i actualy thought she meant it and didnt bother lol

ime sure the E.O.A.B will find out the origins

Encyclopedia Of Acrylic Bob
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 10:01   #3

I know you can't win can you. Very eary in our married life I bought my wife a new vacuam cleaner for christmas . It was done with the very best of intentions thinking I was making things easier for her. I nearly had to eat the thing for dinner. All good intentions but it backfired . Now she don't want anything that doesn't come in a small box with a good jewellers name on it . We do try to please but we are only men at tne end of the day.
Old 19-06-2005, 10:42   #4
God Member

From the EOG (Encyclopaedia of Google):

The Story of Father's Day

Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!
Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 11:04   #5

Thanks for that Yerself that is really interesting. I knew someone would know the real meaning and knowing it adds to it's worth. Cheers.
Old 19-06-2005, 13:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nowt really wrong with any of these days,not that i give a monkeys one way or the other,its always nice to get a prezzy,but it does seem to put an obligation on people wether or not they have the funds,and that i dont like,some people if there hard up feel guilty cos they can't get a decent prezzy,which is dumb cos its the thought but thats the way some folk are.
Old 19-06-2005, 20:14   #7

AGREED i WOULD RATHER JUST SEE THE KIDS AND GRANDKIDS A PRESENT IS JUST A BONUS THEY MAKE EVERY DAY A FATHERS DAY.
Old 19-06-2005, 20:34   #8

Oh and a mothers day too x
Old 19-06-2005, 22:05   #9
Senior Member+

My son didnt send one to his dad. His dad cant be bothered with him, so he got nowt from my son in return !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 22:08   #10

Well the da is losing out but unfortunately the little boy misses out on his dad. Thats a shame.x
Old 19-06-2005, 22:11   #11
Senior Member+

I totally agree Fireman. Unfortunately the lack of interest is on the fathers side. My son got totally fed up of going down and being told he was too buisy just to spend an hour with him.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 22:11   #12
God Member

that's only fair jimmi, as he can't honour a father he hardly knows although it is sad for him. I'm not with my kids father but luckily he does still see them

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 22:13   #13

THen it sounds like the father has got his priorities wrong my kids , and grandkids are everything to me they make me a millionaire. He obviosley is not with you now and no dam wonder.x
Old 19-06-2005, 23:00   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

very sad when its that way,suppose its a reflection on society,i'm lucky in some ways always get cards,prezzies etc,but don't expect it ive told em it doen't matter,don't really see why i should be rewarded for doing my duty,it was our choice to have em,an it was our job to bring em up right.thats not a dig at single parents by the way,its a dig at the obligation kids feel.
Old 19-06-2005, 23:05   #15

Don't think they feel any obligation cashman I would hate to think they did.The only thing they feel I'm sure is a bond between themselves and a parent who has cared for them through thick and thin and lets face it their were some thin times for all of us, but they only serve to enrich the bond between a parent and his or her child. Single or otherwise.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..