Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Glorious, glorious summer. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/glorious-glorious-summer-22893.html)

garinda 15-07-2006 16:34

Glorious, glorious summer.

Lancashire bakes under cloudless blue skies.

I hope it lasts until October.

Even the weather forecast says it's to get even hotter until at least the middle of next week. It's perfect, as it isn't even hot and sticky at night. Just fabulous.

How are you enjoying your time in the sun?

I'm sat outside chatting to Pendy and only came in for a short while to cool off.

I'm sure if we lived somewhere that was sunny everyday we wouldn't appreciate it when we get good weather. It's only fourteen weeks ago since we last had snow!

It's such a lift to our collective mood. Even Accy market's shoppers seemed almost Mediterreanly laid back and smiley this morning.

Ber999T 15-07-2006 17:42

Re: Glorious, glorious summer.

well i have been busy completing my summer project and when I can find out how to reduce pictures will post some on the thread.

Boy was it hot with all the digging, raking etc

But now sat outside having a glass of red wine and chilling

jambutty 15-07-2006 17:48

Believe you me garinda 6 months or more of constant sunshine isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Everything is dry and dusty and grass loses its freshness as it withers in the baking sunlight. You start to long for just a sprinkling of cool rain on your face and the fresh green look of the fields. I was in Bahrain for nearly two years and not a drop of rain did I see. The nearest we got to rain was one night in the middle of winter (down to 80 F) when there were a heavy overnight dew, which in itself was a rare occurrence.

Now with a depleted ozone layer allowing more UV rays through you can burn in no time and not realise it until the next morning when you wake up and the first move is agony - specially the young and old.

Madhatter 15-07-2006 18:07

loading them into the gallery or attaching them should automatically reduce them jen.

Margaret Pilkington 15-07-2006 19:11

I feel much better for some sunshine...and yes, I suppose it can be a bit wearing to have sun all the time........I don't mind the odd shower but I absolutely hate it when the clouds seem to be banging against your forehead and you have to have the lights on all the time.

Today we have had the toddler for my daughter....he has loved playing in the sand pit and the paddling pool.......he is fascinated by his shadow.......and has wet me through several times.........creeping up on me and then hurling water at me, running off giggling and saying Sorreeee!
He has just discovered the joy of ice lollies and his favourite is a tropical sun lolly.....like a miniature Jubbly...for those who remember them.
I wonder if he will remember all these things as he grows up.

magily 15-07-2006 19:22

Its true when you have hot weather all the time you do not appreciate it. Today it is in the 30s again here so we are cooling off inside. We ahve to water the grass on a regular basis or it does just die, we put the sprinkler on and let the kids run throughit. Keeps them busy whilst watering the grass.Hope the good weather lasts for you.

Ernie 15-07-2006 20:12

.....like a miniature Jubbly?

I'm glad someone else has noticed the size of ice lollies lately, you can still get Jubblies from Iceland frozen food supermarket in boxes of ten but they are now the same size as the Sun Lollies, I remember they were 4d a piece now they are half the size and if you work it out are 3s a piece, (10 for £1.50).

Margaret Pilkington 15-07-2006 20:17

Yes Ernie, they were 4d each and they lasted you ages.......like walnut whips.....oh, damn, don't get me on that subject!

Tinkerbelle 15-07-2006 20:20

Today, Edisford Bridge first to tire the kids out, then topping up my tan in the garden whilst desperately wishing I could be transported to a beer garden!!

Hand on heart, I wish this weather would stay forever ...... or that I could find enough money to emigrate to some where hot! :hothothot :bigglasse :cool: :daisy:

KIPAX 15-07-2006 20:35

Arthur doesn't visit me as much this weather.. Arthur is here more in the damp cold weather.. In fact most mornings Arthur will tell me before I get out of bed how damp or wet it is outside... But this weather Arthur just aint around as much as usual....and thats not a bad thing.. In fact you can stay away Arthur....

You get the message Mr Itus... stay away!

norwich stanley 15-07-2006 20:37

If we could have four months out of twelve which were hot, winter would not seem so bad.been on a ten mile bike ride with my son today, only trouble is sunk 6 cans of cider when we got back.definately drink more in this weather.

Tinkerbelle 15-07-2006 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX
Arthur doesn't visit me as much this weather..

With you on that Kipax ;) I keep saying those who get visits from Arthur should lobby the Government to send us away to live some where that Arthur can't find us! :(

garinda 15-07-2006 22:19

I think that's why we feel so cheered when we have cloudless blue skies and sunshine, it doesn't happen a lot in this country.

Crisp winter days are nice, but because they only last for six hours or so before it goes dark again it doesn't lift your mood as much as a beautiful summer's day.

After all we all know it could be piddling down next week and we could be tempted to turn the central heating on.

Now where's my scythe?

I'm off to make me some hay.:)

cashman 15-07-2006 23:38

rindy you got it spot on mate the differance in peoples faces thats why i love living abroad.:)

junetta 16-07-2006 00:36

You got it right there Cash. There are so many things that I miss about England but the weather isn't one of them.

It doesn't get boring to know that you will wake up to sunshine from May until November, it's so good and I'm so glad that I worked for this all my life.

Funnily enough, you wouldn't believe how many folk moan about it, the Spanish included. Just goes to show that folk are never satisfied.