Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 03:35   #1
God Member

24 Hour drinking

What happend to 24 hour drinking? I tried on a few occasions tonight to get a drink on my way home and no-one would serve me, it was only 4 oclock, i thought they would serve anytime now! god it took a long time to type this!

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2006, 10:12   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: 24 Hourt drinking

It is illegal to serve someone who is drunk
Old 01-01-2006, 10:39   #3
God Member

I wasn't drunk! saying that, I dont remember posting this last night :-)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:21   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
What happend to 24 hour drinking? I tried on a few occasions tonight to get a drink on my way home and no-one would serve me, it was only 4 oclock, i thought they would serve anytime now! god it took a long time to type this!
Should have gone up to Peterhead they were having a 31 hour pub session.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 17:31   #5

Why are you so overjoyed by your excesses? I bought a six-pack at the beginning of 2005 and still have 5 of them left. It never enters my head that it would be nice to have a drop of alcohol and I only drink at social occasions so as not to let others think I'm odd though even that does not really bother me.

It's a cultural thing that I never picked up. There are a lot of other things I have picked up that would make me seem even odder since my inclination is to do the opposite to most other people, a practice that Gurdjieff followed when a young lad.
Old 01-01-2006, 18:05   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
[B
24 Hourt drinking[/B]
considering the extra T in the thread title i think you have had enough lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 18:15   #7
Senior Member+

Re: 24 Hour drinking

as far as I know although the law is there pubs dont have to take part in the 24hr thing - its at their discretion.

in saying that there has been 2 pubs in glasgow since 2003 that were specially chosen as a trial & they were open 22 hours - they closed for 2 hours, change of staff, clean up & when they re-opened at 6 or 7 am they would serve a breakfast with you drink - best of it is not many folk took up the offer of early drink - just the early brekkie !!
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 22:12   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey
Why are you so overjoyed by your excesses? I bought a six-pack at the beginning of 2005 and still have 5 of them left. It never enters my head that it would be nice to have a drop of alcohol and I only drink at social occasions so as not to let others think I'm odd though even that does not really bother me.
What sort of 'social' occasion only requires the opening of one can?
Either your very stingy and shared that can with others or you are the worst kind of drinker. You drink on your own but live in denial and call it 'social' drinking, my advise to you is seek medical assistance at once so you can take control of this illness.
See how low your self esteem has gone? Even you consider yourself to be odd, to save you from further temptation but also to ensure that the remaining five cans aren't wasted you may PM me for my address so you can send them to me.
I would call in person and relieve you of the responsibility of having so much alchohol on your premises but you might think that a social occasion and use it as an excuse to crack open another can!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 22:16   #9
Give, give, give member

What's a Gurdjieff Godfrey?

What practise did he follow from childhood?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 00:44   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
What's a Gurdjieff Godfrey?
It's some sort of alarm clock according to this quote:-

Quote:
The Gurdjieff Studies Program is dedicated to providing the teaching, special conditions and, when appropriate, individual instructions for each seeker to experience self-awakening.
I must admit that was as far as I read on the web page as that sentence alone had me drifting towards a glazed sleep.

Quote:
What practise did he follow from childhood?
Looks like he was one of these weird teenagers that studied his own navel,
Which leads me to think, at that early age he would probably have been better off and would have broadened his horizons by studying the navel of the girl next door!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 20:33   #11

Answering Garinda about who was Gurdjieff: I'm not sure that anyone really knew even though many wrote books about him and his methods and he also wrote a few books himself.

He is believed to be a mystic of sorts born in Armenia. His own book "Meetings with Remarkable Men" told of his contrarian attitudes, almost in the first chapter. A film was made of this book about 10 years ago which I've never seen. He went off around the world researching into the psyche of mankind and has never revealed where he got to.

He eventually started an Institute in Paris and, as Less said, taught how man may be self-awakened. I know little about the Institute or much about its practices. He died in 1942.

He claimed that man went around asleep like a robot just reacting to external stimulae. One recommendation he made was to walk down a street conscious of every foot touching the pavement and see how long one can remain conscious.

Its surprising how you can wake up several blocks down knowing that you have fallen asleep and lost consciousness of the task you originally set yourself.

So he might be right.
Old 06-01-2006, 14:42   #12
Resting in peace

You've always been able to get a drink in London at breakfast time if you go down to Smithfield. They do a great 12 item English breakfast, as well. I bet Garinda knows this.

When do people sleep? - probably at the pub when they've had enough.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 14:45   #13
Resting in peace

Waking up several blocks down having fallen asleep? - are you SURE you don't drink??

Sounds like a dangerous activity to me. Are there any statistics on how many of this guy's disciples have been run over by buses?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 14:58   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
You've always been able to get a drink in London at breakfast time if you go down to Smithfield. They do a great 12 item English breakfast, as well. I bet Garinda knows this.

When do people sleep? - probably at the pub when they've had enough.
Yes I do.

Many a happy morning have I entertained the costermongers and other market traders, kicking up my heels and giving then my Nancy from Oliver routine, at pubs with licences to sell ale at odd hours of the day in London.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 16:25   #15
land of hope and glory

24hr opening is a load of cods wallop ! you only open too what you applied for.ie12-00 , 1-00, 2-00am.what is the point of opening longer when its hard enough to get bumbs on seats now,the people that are out later than this are your clubbers that will pay £10-00 quid to get in then drop some e tabs to keep them going, drinking bottled water, whats the point when they have to come down from this the day after?you have also to take the new drinking at home into consideration, more and more are doing it ! but its the pub managers,landlords/ladies that have been tarred with the brush for binge drinkers,take a step backward and look at your super markets selling cheap booze and the corner shop selling cheap booze and you have your answer.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..