Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What happen to good old manner??? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-happen-to-good-old-manner-28571.html)

katex 18-02-2007 22:50

Re: What happen to good old manner???

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 385057)
or indeed have had their soup spoon put somewhere where spoons really shouldn't go.:D

Is that to the left of the plate then ... :D

garinda 18-02-2007 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 385060)
Is that to the left of the plate then ... :D

Lol, I was thinking more about in the cat's dinner outside the kitchen door, or worse.:D

moonshiner 18-02-2007 23:09

hell yah tellyou wot just read the post good onya i know what ide do with the spoon :Banane20:

Margaret Pilkington 19-02-2007 15:04

Good manners isn't just about saying 'please' and 'thank you'........it is about treating a person how YOU yourself would want to be treated.

garinda 19-02-2007 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 385288)
...it is about treating a person how YOU yourself would want to be treated.

A bit of a generalisation here, but the rudest people I've ever come across are Jewish New York women.

They take pleasure in being aggressively obnoxious to you.

They want you to lose it, and be as rude back to them, as they are being to you.

The best thing to do is to appear genuinely polite, and not to rise to their bait.

Eventually, after they haven't managed to start a fight, you seem to earn their respect, and they turn into charming pussycats.

Weird, but that's my experience.:)

kash 19-02-2007 17:45

Quote:

Good manners isn't just about saying 'please' and 'thank you'........it is about treating a person how YOU yourself would want to be treated.
it wasn't the lack of "please" & "thank you" that pi**ed (soz mick) me off it was the clicking and her general behaviour

Mancie 19-02-2007 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash (Post 384739)
At work I see lots pf people. some very kind while others are just plain rude. As children we were told to talk with some respect. i'm not talking about having to saying "please" & "thank you" after every sentence. for example a woman comes in effing and blinding then starts clicking her fingers at me and says 'oi oi', i dont expect her to know my name automaticaly but i do have a name badge. everytime she addressed me she'd say 'oi'.
anyway MOST people i see are good decent people.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

I can't help feeling this forum may be the last place I would ask what has happend to good manners! ..thank you.

Billcat 19-02-2007 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 384753)
...They thought they were a cut above everyone else ,but soon realised it diddent wash with the other holiday makers,...

Most folks who really are a cut above have manners to match. They may know exactly what they want and go to some pretty serious lengths to have things just so, but they manage to do it with manners and style.

If you don't start out by treating folks with respect (remember, you can always change your mind later and snow disrespect to those who deserve it), why should anyone treat you with respect?

Billcat 19-02-2007 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 384974)
I remember a scene in "Half a Sixpence" where Kip didn't know what knife and fork to use for each course and one bloke ridiculed him for not being a gentleman and someone else commented that there was only one person there who wasn't a gentleman and it wasn't Kip.

Of course, in New York, when someone says "Oy!" (short for "Oy veh"), we're likely to ask if there is anything we can do for him! It's a corruption of a Yiddish phrase meaning "Woe is me!" It's also related to the German words for "ouch!"

So, when someone says "oi," just aks them is they need medical help!;)

Regarding Kip in "Half a Sixpence," ignorance is just that - ignorance. It does not make you ungentlemanly, but deliberately disrespecting folks for their ignorance certainly does! Ignorance is something that can be easily overcome in many cases. Bad attitudes, one the other hand, are often lifelong.

Billcat 19-02-2007 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 385062)
Lol, I was thinking more about in the cat's dinner outside the kitchen door, or worse.:D

Just put something meaty on it and let the dog lick it clean, prior to placing it on the table!:eek: