Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn to be axed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburn-to-be-axed-31135.html)

garinda 03-06-2007 00:19

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanaccy (Post 431607)
I don't hear people from Streatham and Brixton saying "We don't live in Lambeth"

Very good point. When I lived in SW16, I lived in Streatham, or Saint Reatham as some Yuppies tried to dub it, never Lambath. Besides I couldn't do the walk.

I did tend to say Wandworth more, when I moved six years later, because until I took up residence there, Tooting was just too unfashionable.:D

garinda 03-06-2007 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell silver (Post 431630)
100th post & lets be honest who really gives a sh** anymore.

(102nd post.)

Perhaps you might have more of a fun time on the Hyndburn Life site.:D

Acrylic-bob 03-06-2007 06:19

As a name "Accrington and District" sounds a bit rural, don't you think? It comes across as a bit sleepy and mainly agricultural. It's the "and District" bit that does it. I think the "and District" bit should be discarded and that we should just go with "Accrington". The towns that make up the borough still retain their distinct identities no matter what the administrative name is changed to.
It is about time that the crest was changed, I am sick to death of that pathetic Hynd appearing all over the place, whoever designed that should be shot.

However, it must be said that when an administration resorts to tinkering of this kind it is usually because they have run out of ideas. A bit like Blair's government where ministers must be seen to be constantly bringing proposals forward, no matter how ludicrous and half-baked they are.

Neil 03-06-2007 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 431513)
I like the address of Hyndburn Council in the bit where it said usefull information, 'Scaitcliffe House Accrington', now that say's it all.

It says nothing. What about the Ribble Valley? Is that on the Councils address? Here is a clue and a link for you.

Ribble Valley Borough Council,
Council Offices,
Church Walk,
CLITHEROE,
Lancashire.
BB7 2RA

Ribble Valley Borough Council Contact details

Or what about Pendle Borough Council

Pendle Borough Council, Market Street, Nelson, Lancashire BB9 7LG

Ianto.W. 03-06-2007 10:00

Quote:

Neil. It says nothing. What about the Ribble Valley? Is that on the Councils address? Here is a clue and a link for you.
Now that's what I call a mouthfull Neil, some address that, I always thought it was in Burnley them being Pendle as well.;)

katex 03-06-2007 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 431671)
However, it must be said that when an administration resorts to tinkering of this kind it is usually because they have run out of ideas. A bit like Blair's government where ministers must be seen to be constantly bringing proposals forward, no matter how ludicrous and half-baked they are.

That puts it in a nutshell A-b .... have to think of something ludicrous but controversial for us to sit up and take notice of them again, just an expensive way of the hope to win extra pats on the back .. although could backfire on them.

Children vying for attention and kudos.

Must look up the population of Accrington against the population of the 'and districts' ..anyone know ?

Will they also have to have an interim period with stationery, as per lots of businesses do.. 'Accrington and District (formerly Hyndburn Borough Council)' :rolleyes:

Just noticed one of Peter Britcliffe's quotes saying:'This is the first day of the rest of this area's life'; 'of the rest' being a little unfortunate.

andrewb 03-06-2007 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431244)
I gave up counting when I got to fifty two, but there are locally quite a lot of businesses/clubs/societies/charities with Hyndburn as part of their name.

I'm sure I could find you something more productive to do ;)

garinda 03-06-2007 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 431731)
I'm sure I could find you something more productive to do ;)

Yes, the local Conservative party could employ me to do their spinning for them.

Professional versus amateur. No contest.:D

katex 03-06-2007 11:35

Think might do a Garinda on this one (see wind turbines) and chain meself to one of the signs on the moors, could keep each other company calling in a Wuthering Heights type manner LOL.

Would certainly create more publicity for Hyndburn than ever before. !!

Ok, sorry, know this is a serious thread . :(

Ianto.W. 03-06-2007 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 431738)
Think might do a Garinda on this one (see wind turbines) and chain meself to one of the signs on the moors, could keep each other company calling in a Wuthering Heights type manner LOL.

Would certainly create more publicity for Hyndburn than ever before. !!

Ok, sorry, know this is a serious thread . :(

They remind me of 'Bugs Bunny' and that chap that's trying to shoot him with a double barrel shot gun, no prizes for guesing who's who:D, sorry for the thread wander but I could not resist it.;)

WillowTheWhisp 03-06-2007 12:47

A quick 'google' just brought up:

Hyndburn Athletic Club
Hyndburn Ramblers
Hyndburn Stray Dogs In Need
Hyndburn Enterprise Trust
Hyndburn Community Network
Hyndburn BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club)
Hyndburn Sure Start
Hyndburn Prospects
Hyndburn Circular (bus route)
Hyndburn Engineering Services Limited
Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Friends of the Earth
Hyndburn Used Furniture Store
Hyndburn Homes
Hyndburn Sports Centre
Hyndburn & District Boys Football League
Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Primary Care Trust
Hyndburn Crossroads Counselling Service
Hyndburn Citizen
Rossendale & Hyndburn Equestrian Centre
Hyndburn Press Ltd
Hyndburn Rotaract
Hyndburn Commercials
Hyndburn Lone Parent Network
Hyndburn Speakers Club
The Blackburn, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Health Care National Health Service Trust
Hyndburn & Ribble Valley Carers Centre
Hyndburn Homewise
Hyndburn First
Hyndburn and Rossendale Registry Office
Hyndburn & Blackburn Angling Assciation
Hyndburn Cultural Association
Hyndburn Comets
Hyndburn Christian Stable

There are probably more - but my question is, will all of these have to change their name? They'll look pretty silly being named after Hyndburn when the council has scrapped Hyndburn. Who is going to pay for the expensive rebranding if they do all change their names?

And isn't 'Accrington and District & District Boys Football League' going to sound awfully silly?

Mind you it will distance the council from that infamous website and waste of time and money known as 'Hyndburn Life' - maybe that's why they want to do it?

cmonstanley 03-06-2007 13:22

somebody in the council must have an interest in a sign making company its going to make them a fortune do yuo not think they should get their priorities right i.e bus station etc..i know sell off the market and we will be able to buy new signs,signs what for? i dont know but we can always come up with sumthin,oooohhhh i know:eek::eek::eek::D:Dmoney making scam for somebody:(

katex 03-06-2007 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 431719)
Must look up the population of Accrington against the population of the 'and districts' ..anyone know ?

Tried to look meself .. in 2006 the population of Hyndburn was quoted as 81,487.

Can only find the last recording for Accrington in 2001 at 35,203.

As the population of Accrington appears to have dropped over the years, presume the 'and Districts' will still outweigh the 'Accrington' by quite a huge figure.

Our council may wish to think again on this issue ..:rolleyes:

cashman 03-06-2007 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 431834)

Our council may wish to think again on this issue ..:rolleyes:

you saying they actually think?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

garinda 03-06-2007 16:44

This is nothing to do with political affiliation. However, the press reported that the idea was that of the ruling Tory majority on HBC, but it would be interesting to know if the opposition parties also back this idea, and the use of our money to achieve it.

Too much to hope for that any Conservative member of the council should care to comment.

Gayle 03-06-2007 20:17

Yes, I'd be interested to hear what the Labour party think too.

shillelagh 03-06-2007 21:15

so would i - seeing as they are known as Hyndburn Labour Party.

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2007 10:00

Did anybody watch NorthWest Tonight last night?

lancsdave 06-06-2007 10:09

After the conversation I have just had with Hyndburn Council I hope they get rid of it as soon as possible :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

garinda 06-06-2007 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 432531)
Did anybody watch NorthWest Tonight last night?

No. Why....?

Ianto.W. 06-06-2007 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432534)
After the conversation I have just had with Hyndburn Council I hope they get rid of it as soon as possible :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think were all dieing to know what it was all about lancsdave:confused:.

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2007 11:39

I'd heard there was going to be some mention of the demise of Hyndburn but I forgot to watch. Come to think of it - it might have been Granada Reports!

lancsdave 06-06-2007 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 432541)
I think were all dieing to know what it was all about lancsdave:confused:.

I'm afraid libel laws mean I have to resist telling the world what I think :(

garinda 06-06-2007 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432592)

Hyndburn Borough Council won't be able to sue you, as they'll no longer exist, to persue you through the courts.

garinda 07-06-2007 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431908)
Yes, I'd be interested to hear what the Labour party think too.

According to this weekend's Observer, Graham Jones supports the planned change.

SPUGGIE J 07-06-2007 17:59

So who is to weild the big axe then? If they dont have someone will there be a raffle or lottery to decide? I might be free for a while and if supplied with enough spray paint will willing start changing the signs. :D

WillowTheWhisp 07-06-2007 19:00

Do they ever actually stop to find out what the majority of people think before they start wasting our money?

No, thought not. (Now where have I heard that phrase before? :D)

Gayle 07-06-2007 19:34

Well the Accy Observer site is showing 56% for and 44% against - that to me looks close enough to warrant a full consultation with locals.

Stanaccy 07-06-2007 21:40

Just a thought is this the same council that cares so much about ACCRINGTON that they pulled the sponsorship of the town's football team?????

WillowTheWhisp 08-06-2007 09:40

I think we should have an AccyWeb poll.

I wouldn't put it past this council to declare the Observer poll to be an overwhelming majority - I wonder if those who voted in favour have actually considered the knock on effect and repercussions?

Neil 08-06-2007 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 432822)
Well the Accy Observer site is showing 56% for and 44% against - that to me looks close enough to warrant a full consultation with locals.

Do you think consultation is a good thing :rolleyes::D:D

garinda 08-06-2007 10:49

'We used to be an Empire run by an Emperor, then we were a Kingdom run by a King.' [Quote Neil.]

Shouldn't that read old Queen?

lancsdave 08-06-2007 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432592)

Credit where credit is due, I sent them an e-mail the other day and I have had a letter back this morining finally clearing it all up. Just a shame the telephone service is a bit pointless if they have neither the common sense or authority to make decisions :(

Ianto.W. 08-06-2007 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 432950)
'We used to be an Empire run by an Emperor, then we were a Kingdom run by a King.' [Quote Neil.]

Shouldn't that read old Queen?

Dunno gary ask Oscar Wilde.:D

Gayle 08-06-2007 17:01

One curious thing about the poll in the Accy Obs - it was at 46% Yes and 54% No on Sunday evening when I cast my vote. When I had another look mid morning on Monday it had suddenly switched to favour the Yes option. Strange methinks.

WillowTheWhisp 08-06-2007 17:18

OOOh Gayle, you're not suggesting shennanigins are you? http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...milies/eek.gif

Gayle 08-06-2007 17:59

Anyway, another thought about the cost.

They say they've put £20,000 aside for the change of signs. I would like someone to put some costs to the following items as well.

Redesigning a logo (the Hinds head will have to go)?
Designing all the crests?
Amending the council website?
Amending the council computer system?
Rebranding all the council vans and rubbish trucks?
Reprinting letterheads/compliment/council tax slips?
Reprinting all the council literature?
Legal renaming and banking changes?
Plus all the man hour to affect all the changes?

The £20k won't cover all that.

Plus, I'd be interested to know if there'll be any compensation for any groups that have taken the name. I'm a member of three community organisations that use the name.

Hyndburn Mela and Community Festival
Hyndburn Women's Forum
Hyndburn Community Network

All will have to have discussions about changing their name, then we'll have to change the banking details, reprint literature, websites, logos and letterheads. All of which costs money!

We're not the only ones it will affect, there are 100s of groups and businesses that use Hyndburn in their name.

garinda 08-06-2007 18:07

I have it on very good authority that signs cost £5,000 each.

You'll notice Britcliffe said there was twenty grand set aside, not that they were going to cost that much.

WillowTheWhisp 08-06-2007 19:59

The people who have voted in favour of this haven't thought of all the repercussions as I said earlier. I hope these organisations will let the council know how they feel about the unwelcome expense.

SPUGGIE J 08-06-2007 20:24

Even if the poll had been strongly in favour of change the final decission would have to be based on cost and cost alone.

g jones 08-06-2007 20:34

Graham Jones/Press - the full version

Thought I'd post the full text sent to the Ob.

"I totally support Clr Britcliffe's proposal to change the name of the Borough though we have to be careful why we are doing this, and what exactly we will gain. This rebranding comes on the back of a recent corporate rebranding in 2004 when The Council spent £thousands celebrating 30 years of Hyndburn and the rebranding throughout The Council which contained The Council's latest vision, 'Making Hyndburn a Better Place to Live, Work and Visit'. Clr Britcliffe said last month he was delighted that Hyndburn was the 18th most attractive place in Britain, a place on the up which is becoming a better place for people to live and bring up families. Are we confident that a name change will see benefits?

I believe it could but The Council needs to do a lot more to capitalise, otherwise the name change could just be an expensive waste. I would like us to do so with at least some reasonable evidence that there will be some benefit and not just a cost to the Council Tax payer. At the moment there is no proper costing'. I am surprised a figure of £20,000 has been mentioned for just signs, there will be quite a few hidden costs. It's not just stationary and vehicles. It's all communications. We probably spend about £50,000 plus on leaflets and printing promoting the Borough of Hyndburn. Companies that use the name Hyndburn haven't been consulted yet, so that is something The Council is going to have to take onboard in the coming months. It's not going to be straight forward and I would liked to have seen some more thought and planning gone into it before this big announcement.

Concerning Councillors is that we are all hearing about this for the first time through the newspapers, as too are residents. The Cabinet is saying the name change will happen. It would have been beneficial if this had gone to Area Councils so people could have thrown in their two penneth and I am sure the public would have thrown up a lot of good and helpful questions. Unfortunately we have missed the Parliamentary Boundary name change this time so we will still have two names for a few years.

The immediate commercial advantage could be our town centres which are a significant part of our local economy. Accrington and Great Harwood are market towns who can't compete as clone towns to Preston, Manchester and even Blackburn. They not only need to push their brand identity as Market Towns, they need to have plans for investment which builds on this identity and puts them in competing with the likes of Clitheroe, Skipton and Bury. All Hyndburn's urban districts, Clayton, Rishton, Oswaldtwistle as well, have unique identities which need to be enhanced. However one former urban district council, Church, seems to have been rubbed off the map.

Labour Councillor will over the coming month's be helping and working with the Conservatives in any way we can to look into all the issues so 'the big changeover' really is something we can benefit from."

Gayle 08-06-2007 20:58

That's great and clearly you're not embracing it all out without the need for further discussion.

One question though - why can Gt Harwood and Accrington not trade on their names currently? The Hyndburn name change makes not the slightest bit of difference to the promotion of the town name.

The thing is that none of the towns use Hyndburn to promote themselves anyway - Hyndburn is just the administrative name. Nothing will change there because nothing has ever changed with that.

SPUGGIE J 08-06-2007 21:49

Accy and Gt Harwood or any of the towns in the borough could trade on their own names. Up hear just because a town is under another name administrative wise or tied to another dosnt stop them promoting what they have. The individual town has that ability and should use it along with any company or orginisation who uses it. Look at Stoclkeys Sweets Hollands Pies even Ossy Mills they dont forget were they are from.

WillowTheWhisp 08-06-2007 21:55

If anything I think it will be detrimental to Great Harwood to have it's identity overshadowed by Accrington in the name change.

shillelagh 08-06-2007 22:03

Hang on spug - Hollands Pies is in Rising Bridge - Rossendale not Baxenden even though they say that on their vans .

garinda 08-06-2007 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433100)
That's great and clearly you're not embracing it all out without the need for further discussion.

One question though - why can Gt Harwood and Accrington not trade on their names currently? The Hyndburn name change makes not the slightest bit of difference to the promotion of the town name.

The thing is that none of the towns use Hyndburn to promote themselves anyway - Hyndburn is just the administrative name. Nothing will change there because nothing has ever changed with that.

...and the area would still be know as the constituency of Hyndburn in Parliament, so the name won't disappear anyway.

Gayle 08-06-2007 22:22

So all we're really talking about is an expensive exercise so that the Councillors don't have to say 'I'm a Councillor for Hyndburn'.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

garinda 08-06-2007 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433116)
So all we're really talking about is an expensive exercise so that the Councillors don't have to say 'I'm a Councillor for Hyndburn'.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's it in a nutshell!

We are from Accrington/Great Harwood/Baxenden/Ossy/Huncoat etc. That's what we say when asked where we are from. The only people who have to use the bloody name of Hyndburn are the people on the council.

This is just an expensive way to stop them getting flustered, and giddy, when asked what council they represent.

SPUGGIE J 08-06-2007 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 433112)
Hang on spug - Hollands Pies is in Rising Bridge - Rossendale not Baxenden even though they say that on their vans .

Stand corrected. :o

Gayle 08-06-2007 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433120)
That's it in a nutshell!

We are from Accrington/Great Harwood/Baxenden/Ossy/Huncoat etc. That's what we say when asked where we are from. The only people who have to use the bloody name of Hyndburn are the people on the council.

This is just an expensive way to stop them getting flustered, and giddy, when asked what council they represent.

Phew, so glad we've got that sorted out.:D

SPUGGIE J 08-06-2007 22:43

Regardless of who wins/losses it wont be a Monday 5pm its Hyndburn 9 am Tuesday its whatever. The name wont pop its clogs just what it stands for and how its interprated

Wynonie Harris 08-06-2007 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 433112)

Postal address is Accrington, or at least that's what it says on their pie wrappers and I should know...i've seen enough of 'em!

WillowTheWhisp 08-06-2007 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433120)
That's it in a nutshell!

An expensive nutshell - maybe our esteemed leader has a little nut tree bearing golden nutmegs and silver pears.

Ianto.W. 09-06-2007 11:04

Who's silly idea was this in the first place to call Accrington and District 'Hyndburn'? send the bill to them. PB is on dodgy ground and I quote from Accy Observer "It will not cost the one penny more on the council tax bill" and a pig just flew past my window.;)

katex 09-06-2007 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 432822)

I think also Gayle that there is not enough information about where the people live to warrant this is a true reflection of the electorate's feelings, etc. Polls can be 'tweaked' easily to lean one way or the other.

Did my own little run-down of letters to the Observer on this subject:-

People who wrote 'for' and lived in the 'Districts' ..... trois points :D

People who wrote 'for' who lived in Accy ... 3 letters.

People who wrote 'against' and lived in the 'Districts' ... 4 letters .. think 5 actually, one opinion not too clear, just stating could be a bad idea.

So 6 letters for and 5 against.

Absence of any letter from people who lived in Accrington 'against'

Course seeing as the Observer last week, with their front page comment were supporting this change, might have something to do with the letters they published.. :rolleyes:

Still seething about all this and the unnecessary use of public money :mad:

WillowTheWhisp 09-06-2007 14:25

If the cost isn't going to be added to the council tax bill then some other service is obviously going to have to suffer by having money withdrawn from it to cover the expense. I'd like to see just what it all is going to cost and where they plan on making the savings in order to finance it.

I wonder if any of the organisations with Hyndburn in their name will consider suing for compensation? That could be interesting.

garinda 09-06-2007 14:43

I'll note again in this thread, not one person on this forum, out of nearly 8,000 members, gives their location as Hyndburn.

Therefore, it isn't relevant to us.

katex 09-06-2007 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433219)
I'll note again in this thread, not one person on this forum, out of nearly 8,000 members, gives their location as Hyndburn.

Amen ... :thumbsup:

SPUGGIE J 09-06-2007 17:38

Quote:

I cant I aint in any town that is part of "Hyndburn" :p

Gayle 09-06-2007 19:03

Quote:

Then what's the justification for changing the administrative name?

katex 09-06-2007 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433252)

None whatsoever in my opinion. :mad:

WillowTheWhisp 09-06-2007 21:06

Precisely. Just another excuse for PB to waste money.

katex 09-06-2007 22:22

Delete please. technical errror.. LOL

garinda 09-06-2007 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433252)

Because Peter doesn't like explaining where Hyndburn is, in the middle of a Gentleman's Excuse Me, at the Annual UK Council Leader's Ball.

MargaretR 09-06-2007 23:40

:bangh8:He wont give me a measley tiddley little red dog bin :bangh8:

shillelagh 10-06-2007 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 433125)
Postal address is Accrington, or at least that's what it says on their pie wrappers and I should know...i've seen enough of 'em!

Wynonie - i live at rising bridge and our postal address has always been Accrington. We do live in Rossendale though because Hyndburn doesnt start until just after where the house that stands on its own after hollands but just before where the cottages start.

Neil 10-06-2007 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 433317)
:bangh8:He wont give me a measley tiddley little red dog bin :bangh8:

I bet they will give you one but wont empty it.
Hyndburn always appears to have capital money but no revenue money. I have no idea how they split the bit pot into the two pots but they never get it right.

Ianto.W. 10-06-2007 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 433326)
Wynonie - i live at rising bridge and our postal address has always been Accrington. We do live in Rossendale though because Hyndburn doesnt start until just after where the house that stands on its own after hollands but just before where the cottages start.

Who sends you a Council Tax bill shillelagh?:confused:

g jones 10-06-2007 16:59

The more people think about it, the more issues come to light. All the bins have the Hyndburn crest on. Not that visitors will notice but when are these to be changed?

garinda 10-06-2007 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 433457)
The more people think about it, the more issues come to light. All the bins have the Hyndburn crest on. Not that visitors will notice but when are these to be changed?

...and at what cost?

As well as all other council property that has the HBC logo, such as vans, trucks, gritters, bin wagons, to name but a few.

SPUGGIE J 10-06-2007 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433459)
...and at what cost?

As well as all other council property that has the HBC logo, such as vans, trucks, gritters, bin wagons, to name but a few.

Gonna go for £1.5 million as the total cost to do a complete wipe and refresh for the new.

garinda 10-06-2007 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 433463)
Gonna go for £1.5 million as the total cost to do a complete wipe and refresh for the new.

But according to Mr Britcliffe it won't add a penny to the Council Tax.

Whatever it is or isn't going to cost, I can think of one hundred and one places, or services in Hyndburn, that would benefit more from this money.

When I lived in Scotland I paid my council tax to Strathclyde Regional Council. That's the only time the name was used. When I was asked where I lived I answered Glasgow. The same applies to Hyndburn.

SPUGGIE J 10-06-2007 18:19

Still the same G. Still dont understand how it will not cost a penny extra on council tax unless the money has already been "found"

Gayle 10-06-2007 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 433457)

Shouldn't all these things have been thought of before it was announced as a fact and before the various crests were designed (be interested to know how much that cost Graham)? :eek:

And, dare I say it, before you and others in the Labour party gave your approval to the idea so readily? :o

piltymon 10-06-2007 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431000)
According to this weekend's Accrington Observer, the ruling Tories on HBC have decided that after thirty three years, the name Hyndburn is to be scrapped, and we are to be known as the 'Borough of Accrington and District'.

Twenty thousand pounds has been found for new road signs.

Agreed, no one in the country knows where Hyndburn is, but does it really matter? They know where all the towns which make up Hyndburn are.

Seems to me to be a total waste of money, and reminds me of when British Airways spent a fortune on rebranding themselves with a fancy new logo on their plane's tails...and then changed it back at even more cost.

You can spend money forever rebranding yourselves, but to me services are what are important, not the name on the Town Hall's letter paper, vans etc.

http://www.fylde.gov.uk/images/party...nservative.gif

(Example of costly rebranding...that fools no one.)

It was the biggest waste of time known to man renaming it in the first place. Nobody wanted the change anyway. Seems to me like thay would be better off to leave it the way it is.

shillelagh 10-06-2007 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 433388)
Who sends you a Council Tax bill shillelagh?:confused:

Rossendale Ian why?

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2007 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433464)

Whatever it is or isn't going to cost, I can think of one hundred and one places, or services in Hyndburn, that would benefit more from this money.

And just wait until something is really needed and then they'll tell us that there is no money available.

garinda 10-06-2007 22:56

Like a good citizen, I've just put out my recycling box and sacks, all bearing the name, and logo of Hyndburn.

Has the replacement cost of the many thousands of boxes and recycling sacks, as well as the wheelie bins, been added to the calculation of the cost of changing the borough's title?

KIPAX 10-06-2007 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433527)
Like a good citizen, I've just put out my recycling box and sacks, all bearing the name, and logo of Hyndburn.

When the name changes... what box will you put all your different hyndburn bins/sacks in? Will it be marked Irony?

I will be putting in a large claim for my hyndburn.co.uk domain name :)

garinda 10-06-2007 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 433530)
I will be putting in a large claim for my hyndburn.co.uk domain name :)

I actually thought about you today, when I saw your site name listed on Google, along with many others with Hyndburn in their name..

Better go and register thepeoplesrepublicofaccringtonanddistrict.co.uk quickly.;)

cashman 10-06-2007 23:19

me n wyn discussed this matter in the Calder sat afternoon, and came to the conclusion - sod it we dont care, both of us are perfectly happy to revert back to accrington.;)

garinda 10-06-2007 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 433534)
me n wyn discussed this matter in the Calder sat afternoon, and came to the conclusion - sod it we dont care, both of us are perfectly happy to revert back to accrington.;)

...no one particularly cares for the damn name Hyndburn, but are you prepared to pay for it to be changed, at the cost of cuts in services?

At least Hyndburn is an all encompassing, non-specific name, and pays lip service to the fact that the majority of people in the borough don't actually live in Accrington.

The word on the street that I've heard is that people are more concerned with quality of service provided by the council, and not rebranding.

I close with the comment again, NOT ONE OF US ACTUALLY SAY WE LIVE IN HYNDBURN, SO IT DOESN'T MATTER A JOT!

cashman 10-06-2007 23:50

whatever PB does he certainly will NOT give a Jot - what you or i think, its like having an english " Saddam"

garinda 10-06-2007 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 433552)
whatever PB does he certainly will NOT give a Jot - what you or i think, its like having an english " Saddam"

No. At least Saddam gave the Iraqis nice statues of himself to brighten the place up. Accrington has got not one statue.

On second thoughts, scrub that horrible thought.:eek:

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2007 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433548)
...no one particularly cares for the damn name Hyndburn, but are you prepared to pay for it to be changed, at the cost of cuts in services?

PRECISELY!

Gayle 11-06-2007 08:54

I read in the Telegraph this morning that over 90% of people at the Oswaldtwistle Area Council were in favour of the name change. As I wasn't there I missed out on that so I don't know if there was a full discussion of the costs (which by the way, no one has managed to put any real figures to despite us asking).

Anyway, it would appear that we have little choice in the matter so let's hope they get it right.

If it's going to be done for the publicity reasons which appears to be the main one, then it needs to be done with a big splash. It needs a co-ordinated effort so that a date is selected and everything changes over on that date - including web design, stationary, vans, bins, signs and recycling bins. If it fizzles in then it will lose impact and be confusing. So, let's just wait and see if they get it right.

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2007 09:02

Before they asked for any opinions or before they even suggested doing it there should have been a serious look at the cost and some itemisation of the information.

I doubt anyone even has a clue how much it's going to be.

Just saying 'It won't affect your council tax bill.' isn't good enough. If it won't affect the council tax then it's obviously going to affect something else (or possibly several something elses) and I for one would like to know what. Would it be too much to expect our council to be upfront about this for once?

May I also take this opportunity to remind PB and Co that when Shakespeare said "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." he also implied that a money wasting council by any other name is still a money wasting council and wasting even more money isn't going to make it smell any sweeter.

I hope you are going to ask him who is supposed to foot the bill for the name change of your Hyndburn connected organisations Gayle.

Gayle 11-06-2007 10:49

Well, I have asked on here and as I know that this site is continually monitored by the council then I'm fairly sure that someone will have read it. Whether they're choosing to ignore it or not is anyone's guess.

garinda 11-06-2007 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433647)
Well, I have asked on here and as I know that this site is continually monitored by the council then I'm fairly sure that someone will have read it. Whether they're choosing to ignore it or not is anyone's guess.

They may moan about what is being said on 'a local forum', via the letters page and a column in the local press, but it would be nice to think that as well as obviously reading Accy Web, they had the strength of their convictions to reply here.

Our Labour MP, and the leader of the Labour party on the council both make use of this facility.

Come on Tories, are you afraid of a fair debate, about issues which affect us all?

Gayle 11-06-2007 11:06

To be fair (ish) I don't think it's just a tory issue - Graham has been on here with his letter of support for the idea.

Any one of them could let us know what the costs would be.

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2007 11:33

I seriously don't think they have even considered the implications and how far reaching the costs will be. £20,000 for a handful of signs seems to be all that has occurred to them as yet.

SPUGGIE J 11-06-2007 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 433655)
I seriously don't think they have even considered the implications and how far reaching the costs will be. £20,000 for a handful of signs seems to be all that has occurred to them as yet.

Might need a hell of a long time for the brain cells at HBC to reach full spead. Sadley by which time it will be too late and screams of a huge financial black hole will be heard.

If we can see issues that have been voiced here then why cant those in the town see them as well?

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2007 11:41

Probably because they are looking at it through those infamous rose tinted specs PB advised us all the wear. ;)

Ianto.W. 11-06-2007 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 433655)

My second son is a director of a sign making firm, I asked him what he thought about the £20,000 set aside for signs, he replied it will not even cover the cost of the designs needed, never mind the manufacture and fitting of the new ones, added to that the time taken to remove rusted up old signs.

garinda 11-06-2007 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 433651)
To be fair (ish) I don't think it's just a tory issue - Graham has been on here with his letter of support for the idea.

Any one of them could let us know what the costs would be.

I doubt Graham knows the true cost either.

It was only yesterday that he remarked on this forum that the wheelie bins also have the Hyndburn logo on them, and will need to be changed.

Which colour sack do we put our discarded wheelie bins in?

Neil 11-06-2007 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433665)
wheelie also bins

Whats a wheelie also bin? :p:D

garinda 11-06-2007 12:27

It's a shame the ruling Tory group didn't go public with this idea before the elections in May. Then a full debate could have taken place regarding the cost versus cuts in service, and whether people think it is going to be worth it.

garinda 11-06-2007 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 433666)
Whats a wheelie also bin? :p:D

Thanks, you can be my sub-editor today, and also get a gold star.:D

Wynonie Harris 11-06-2007 12:28

Well, I still think it's a good idea to change from an obscure, unknown "brand name" to a nationally, if not internationally known, "brand name". It's no substitute for services, facilities, transport links etc, but I reckon it could help a heck of a lot in selling the area to the outside world. And, what's more, my friends, Graham and Greg think it's a good idea, too! :D

garinda 11-06-2007 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 433669)
Well, I still think it's a good idea to change from an obscure, unknown "brand name" to a nationally, if not internationally known, "brand name". It's no substitute for services, facilities, transport links etc, but I reckon it could help a heck of a lot in selling the area to the outside world. And, what's more, my friends, Graham and Greg think it's a good idea, too! :D

Totally disagree.

If a company is going to invest in the area, it will be in Accrington, Clayton, Harwood Oswaldtwistle, etc. It will make not the slightest difference at all if they pay their business rates to Hyndburn or Accrington & District Council.

The postal address is still Accrington!