Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Fly The Flag (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/fly-the-flag-31888.html)

jambutty 04-07-2007 17:02

Fly The Flag

According to news reports today the Union Flag can be flown in the UK only on 15 specific days.

Why?

What are we ashamed of?

All British government buildings should fly the flag all the time and even individual citizens should be able to fly the flag outside their homes if they want to.

Some interesting snippets.
If the Union Flag is flown upside-down it is seen as a distress signal. But it can also be interpreted as an insult to the crown.

Although at one time the Union Jack was only called thus when flown from the jackstaff (a mast at the bows of a ship) of a British warship the Union Flag flown anywhere can be called the Union Jack.

MOTORISTS could face a £2,500 fine or three penalty points on their licence if they fly the flag of St George in support of the English sports team.

If anyone wants to know how to draw the Union Flag correctly it tells you here:
http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/union-jack.html

With some interesting facts here:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/unionjack.html

Royboy39 04-07-2007 17:18

Re: Fly The Flag

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 444348)
According to news reports today the Union Flag can be flown in the UK only on 15 specific days.

Why?

What are we ashamed of?

All British government buildings should fly the flag all the time and even individual citizens should be able to fly the flag outside their homes if they want to.

Some interesting snippets.
If the Union Flag is flown upside-down it is seen as a distress signal. But it can also be interpreted as an insult to the crown.

Although at one time the Union Jack was only called thus when flown from the jackstaff (a mast at the bows of a ship) of a British warship the Union Flag flown anywhere can be called the Union Jack.

MOTORISTS could face a £2,500 fine or three penalty points on their licence if they fly the flag of St George in support of the English sports team.

If anyone wants to know how to draw the Union Flag correctly it tells you here:
http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/union-jack.html

With some interesting facts here:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/unionjack.html

Go for it Jim

MargaretR 04-07-2007 17:21

Time is right for full devolution of Scotland, Wales and Ulster so there needn't be a Union Jack anymore, ....... and while they're at it they can draw the scottish border at Birmingham :D

lancsdave 04-07-2007 17:25

Any likelihood of those 15 days beig EID ? Thought not :D:D

Eric 04-07-2007 18:06

Interesting ... the Union Jack flies all the time from Fort Henry, and on many of our public buildings (but not the bogs). Also the Union Jack is part of the flag of the Province of Ontario. It is flown at Rideau Hall which is the residence of the Govenor General in Ottawa, at Canadian Forces Base Kingston, at the barracks of The Princess of Wales Own Regiment etc. It seems like we fly it more than you guys do. And today, America's birthday, the Stars and Stripes are flying from many buildings in Kingston. And the maple leaf is everywhere, in windows, on flagpoles in gardens, on cars, boats, motorcycles, ATVs, kids' bicycles. I fly both the Union Jack and the Maple Leaf at my home. I'm proud of where I was born and raised, and proud of the country I call home. And no s.o.b. in government is going to tell me when and where I can fly my flags.

garinda 04-07-2007 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 444357)
....... and while they're at it they can draw the scottish border at Birmingham :D

With us in it?:eek:

No thanks.:D

Wynonie Harris 04-07-2007 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 444348)

Only problem is, Rosebud and Gayle will start fretting that we might be BNP supporters!

cashman 04-07-2007 22:23

travelled extensively around the southern states of the old USA, saw loads of flags flying from houses etc, we thought it was great, to be proud of yer country, WHAT THE HELLS WRONG WITH IT HERE?:(

LancYorkYankee 04-07-2007 22:55

That is absolutely awful (IMO). How dare "they" deny anyone the right to fly their national flag. All the sacrifices made fighting and dying under a nations flag. Gosh, that really really bothers me for you!:(

What the heck would anyone be thinking to make that a policy or even a bloody recommendation.

Do you guys not put the flag out on the graves of soldiers throughout the year? Will this also be denied! What if, in protest, you start flying the old Russian flag or the flag of Pol Pot!

I'm very sad for you!

Brian

cashman 04-07-2007 23:01

well its really brassing me off n i aint got a flag! theres a principal involved here in my reckoning.:mad:

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 00:41

No Brian we don't put the flags on graves of soldiers as far as I know - at the funeral the coffin can be draped but then it's removed and folded.

This isn't a new regulation about not flying the flag. This is an existing law - so I guess the Stag was running a risk covering those damp patches with the flags! It's about time this stupid law was repealed and we were all allowed to fly OUR flag whenever we want to and claim it back off the blessed BNP and any other nasty Nazi facist organisation. :mad:

I think I'm going to re-invent my signature tag.

lancsdave 05-07-2007 08:30

Who makes the rules up ?

Seems GB wants us to fly the flag from public buildings which should surely be the go ahead to do it.

STUFFY Scotland Yard REFUSED to fly the Union Flag yesterday — despite an appeal by the PM.

The Sun backed Gordon Brown when he said the flag should be hoisted on public buildings in defiance of terrorism and to promote “Britishness”.

But Britain’s biggest police force hid behind a government directive which specifies official days on which the Union Flag can be flown. It WAS flying outside other police HQs. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Guidance on the appropriate dates for flying of the Union Flag is issued by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.
“We are aware of the proposals made by the Prime Minister. We would expect to be advised of any changes in the protocol by the DCMS and act accordingly.”
The DCMS revealed last night that guidelines for flying the flag may be CHANGED.
A spokesman said: “We now list 18 days on which the flag should be flown — but this may well change and we could soon see the Union Flag flying above all public buildings for 365 days throughout the year.”
The flag flew at Greater Manchester Police HQ. A spokesman said: “We fly the Union Flag and our own flag. They are taken down at night in case of vandalism or bad weather.”
Steve Pound, Labour MP for Ealing North, said: “More attention is needed to the Department of Common Sense.”
Anti-PC campaigner John Midgley said: “We should be proud of our national flag and not let political correctness get in the way.”

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 08:43

“we could soon see the Union Flag flying above all public buildings for 365 days throughout the year.”

Not before time! I am definitely going to redo my sigtag! :D

Eric 05-07-2007 11:12

And while we're at it, getting those flags ready to fly .... don't forget the National Anthem ... if you are anywhere where it is played ... sports events etc. ... don't stand and mumble, looking embarrassed ... belt it out. "O Canada" may not have the most inspiring lyrics in the world, but it's our anthem (as is God Save the Queen) and we sing it out loud. Like when we won the world hockey championship (AGAIN) this year, eh.

garinda 05-07-2007 11:16

The flag of St. George was flying merrily from the flagpole outside of the Town Hall on Tuesday.

No known sporting occasion, or nationalist rally was evident.;)