Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Did the Earth move for you? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/did-the-earth-move-for-you-37324.html)

SamF 27-02-2008 15:31

Re: Did the Earth move for you?

In my sleepy stupor I thought it was just gales outside lol

AccyLass 27-02-2008 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 537589)
now if i'd been awake like you Accylass, i'd be worried.:D

You'd be worried if you was awake like me? Why?:p

Eric 27-02-2008 15:53

:dancedog:Didn't feel a thing ... not a tremble ... Either I'm not that sensitive or I was a little too far from the epicenter.

cashman 27-02-2008 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyLass27 (Post 537616)
You'd be worried if you was awake like me? Why?:p

well being awake n not seeing,hearing,noticing n earthquake,need i say more.:D:D

jackyalex 27-02-2008 17:02

I was awake, all was quiet here i never felt a thing, 1st i knew was from the news this morning

panther 27-02-2008 17:05

how could ya not feel it?....lol....the noise was bad enough:eek:

lindsay ormerod 27-02-2008 17:09

I was woken by next door's dog howling at about midnight, thought " I hope he's not doing that all night " then I went back to sleep only to be rudely awoken by the bed moving (and not in a good way ;)). I remember thinking "oh that's an earthquake" shortly followed by "don't be daft this is Accy" . I convinced myself I had probably had one of those daft dreams where you wake up with a start, when me and daughter got up bleary eyed at normal time we both said we hadn't slept well !:rolleyes:
Didn't know owt about it till the girls at work mentioned it !:cool:
Experienced one in Spain a few years back but last nights was stronger; can't say that I liked it either,it's the fact that we have no control over these forces of nature that makes them so scary !

West Ender 27-02-2008 17:12

Earthquakes don't usually make any sound that we can hear without amplification. I have been in 2 earthquakes (about the size of last night's) and there was no sound. I wonder what was causing the noise you heard, Panther. Maybe it was a few houses foundations shaking. :eek:

emamum 27-02-2008 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 537631)
how could ya not feel it?....lol....the noise was bad enough:eek:

I heard noises too... like a rumbling

shillelagh 27-02-2008 17:16

Was sat in front of the computer and heard a loud rumble thought it was a lorry heading for the house then it seemed like the ceiling and wall in the middle of the house was going to fall down, then seemed to stop and then the chimney started to move - sat with my feet up on the chimney breast as well never moved so fast and then turned the radio off.

By the way told spug and he said it could be the mine workings from huncoat - i said we had no mine workings under this. Oh but they went a long way from huncoat you know. By the way he didnt feel nowt.

panther 27-02-2008 17:20

it was a loud rumble, at first i thought it was starting to thunder but it sounded faint, then it got louder and louder as it got nearer, then as you say shillelagh it started to shake:eek:, it was scary....it was the noise that woke me not the shaking

lindsay ormerod 27-02-2008 17:25

Been speaking to a chap today who is very well up on earthquakes; he says they do make a noise depending on what type of quake it is, he reckoned we have a some tectonic plates under the Pennines that are like a mini fault line that would move in this kind of quake, that would create the noise. He said some quakes are caused by the earth under the crust turning to liquid !!!??:eek:
But thankfully not here !

ps I certainly heard something but I really couldn't describe it other than a low rumbling noise .

panther 27-02-2008 17:40

The British Geological Survey said a second smaller earthquake was recorded at 2.46am. The nearby aftershock measured 1.8 on the Richter Scale.....i never felt that one...thank god!

shillelagh 27-02-2008 17:53

When i went into work though 2 people hadnt heard anything - one lives in bash and the other lives in rawtenstall. Another said she was scared the ceiling was going to come down and she was in bed.

West Ender 27-02-2008 17:53

Well I slept through last night's tremors. Didn't hear or feel a thing though I'm told lots of people round here did.