Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Did the Earth move for you? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/did-the-earth-move-for-you-37324.html)

roundossy 27-02-2008 18:10

Re: Did the Earth move for you?

yeah my dog started barking an all doors an windows shook includin my bed dog must have been on end of it cause she ended up on floor

slinky 27-02-2008 18:18

I was led in bed trying to get to sleep. Just turned over and got comfy when, the bed started shaking. First I thought it was the dog at the end of the bed. Then all the coat hangers on my wardrobe started vibrating. I Sh!t myself.

I woke Ginger and said " The house is shaking....." he grunted and said " ok " :eek: I went down stairs and checked the house.....then nothing.

Phone started ringing and it was my mate next door but 2, " mel....please tell me your house has just been shaking, I think I'm losing the plot " :D I said " yes.....thank god someone else felt that " So that convinced Ginger.

We put the news on and discovered the culprit. Then gingers phone started ringing.....then text messages.

The weirdest thing I have ever felt. The only thing I can describe it like is, turbulence on a plane. I didn't hear any noise....but that's probably due to my four poster bed being rattled and my wardrobe nearly falling over.

Sara 27-02-2008 19:32

Never heard or felt a thing. Didn't sleep to well through the night, wonder if the earthquake had anything to do with it.

WillowTheWhisp 27-02-2008 19:45

I was asleep and something woke me but I didn't really know what. Busman and the girls were sound asleep and nothing seemed to be amiss so I just went back to sleep again. The first I knew we'd had an earthquake was when I listened to the news at 6:30am on the radio.

Come to think of it something must have moved because my wardrobe doors were open.

I wonder if it has dawned on anyone that the reason not much damage has been reported on that website from the area around the epicentre may have something to do with them having better things to do than go on the internet to find out if there's a website about it! Some of them aren't even in their houses let alone on their PCs.

claytonender 27-02-2008 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 537651)
Been speaking to a chap today who is very well up on earthquakes; he says they do make a noise depending on what type of quake it is, he reckoned we have a some tectonic plates under the Pennines that are like a mini fault line that would move in this kind of quake, that would create the noise. He said some quakes are caused by the earth under the crust turning to liquid !!!??:eek:
But thankfully not here !

ps I certainly heard something but I really couldn't describe it other than a low rumbling noise .

I definitely heard a noise, before everything atatred to move, it souded like a heavy wagon going past, I live on a cul de sac so I knew there couldn't have been a wagon going past.

The geographical fault line that passes through this area is the Craven Fault line. If you fo to Clapham (in the Yorkshire Dales), and walk up to Ingleborough Cave, you can actually see the fault line in the rocks. Apparently there are not many places in the world, whee fault lines are actaully visable.

emamum 27-02-2008 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 537739)
I definitely heard a noise, before everything atatred to move, it souded like a heavy wagon going past, I live on a cul de sac so I knew there couldn't have been a wagon going past.

The geographical fault line that passes through this area is the Craven Fault line. If you fo to Clapham (in the Yorkshire Dales), and walk up to Ingleborough Cave, you can actually see the fault line in the rocks. Apparently there are not many places in the world, whee fault lines are actaully visable.

wow, thats pretty interesting.. will have a loook next time i am up there!
thanx

ANNE 27-02-2008 23:05

I was downstairs. I thought the ceiling was going to fall in. The cat sat up tongue poking out and looked at me in that tone of voice that said what have you done now.
Mick slept through the whole thing.

blazey 28-02-2008 02:24

I was sat on my friends settee at the time and when I mentioned that I felt things rocking she said it must've just been a train because she never noticed. We didn't even question the train theory until we saw people discussing it on facebook. Rock and roll haha

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2008 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 537739)

Been there and walked up to Ingleborough Cave but I never knew that so we didn't see it because we didn't know to look for it. Wish we had done.

Photos please next time anybody goes up there.

Lolly 28-02-2008 10:07

I found these Willow:

North Craven Fault and Silurian basement in Malham

The Craven Fault

But I haven't got a clue what i'm looking for, i imagined a big crack in the ground or rocks?!:confused:

AccyLass 28-02-2008 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 537623)
well being awake n not seeing,hearing,noticing n earthquake,need i say more.:D:D

It is a good book;)

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2008 11:40

Oooh so Malham cove is part of the fault line? I never knew rhat and been there loads of times.

Lilly 28-02-2008 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 537536)
I was woken up by the noise beforehand!!
sounded like faint rumbling thunder, then it got louder and louder, thats when the bed started to shake and the TV, it bloody **** me up i can tell ya...:rolleyes:

It was exactly the same in our house, Panther. I wondered what the hell was happening. I've never known anything like it....very frightening.

We were only in Skeggy last week. I dread to think what it felt like to those living there, they must have thought a bomb was going off!

egg&chips 29-02-2008 22:11

It woke me up in Leeds. In the morning I went to work and the town looked like a war zone. So no change there then.