Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Post Office Closures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/post-office-closures-37825.html)

andrewb 17-03-2008 20:05

Post Office Closures

There is a vote next week tabled by the Conservatives to suspend post office closures. Labour want to close them, but many of the Labour MP's are campaigning locally to keep them.

Greg Pope has said he wants to keep post offices open and has criticised the huge amounts of money the managers get in bonuses. Hopefully he will rebel against his party and defend our post offices.

Neil 17-03-2008 20:15

Re: Post Office Closures

Can you explain who will pay for the Post Offices if they are kept open?

andrewb 17-03-2008 20:21

The post offices get a grant, so tax payers pay part, well all of it because of course they pay when they post things too. I'm sure things can be done to make post offices run more effective and at a lower cost to the public, but shutting them down is the wrong path I feel.

cashman 17-03-2008 20:28

so are buses n trains but it never stopped them goin down the pan.:confused:

andrewb 17-03-2008 20:30

Buses and trains still exist though. Although were there more back then? I don't know I wasn't around and I doubt I'm going to find those specifics on the internet.

For the record I think rail privatisation was a bad thing. But lets keep this on topic. :D

cashman 17-03-2008 20:32

Post offices will still exist if they close some,its the same scenario.

andrewb 17-03-2008 20:34

It's not though is it.. They are going to exist but in far fewer number.

If something is necessary for the public, such as post offices, but can't be run with a profit, then I think the government should be backing the system up.

Buses still exist in large numbers because it's profitable.

cashman 17-03-2008 21:07

aint disagreeing with yer arguement,just tellin it the way it is. sucessive governments do not give a rats about the "Little" people, aint condescending but ya will learn when youve been round the block a few times, by the way i voted to keep em open.

andrewb 17-03-2008 21:29

Fair enough, as long as we're on the same wavelength :D

katex 17-03-2008 21:34

Have voted no .. sorry, but business is business :idunno:

Why should we taxpayers pay more to subsidise a losing battle. No point in throwing good money after bad.

cashman 17-03-2008 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 547457)
Have voted no .. sorry, but business is business :idunno:

Why should we taxpayers pay more to subsidise a losing battle. No point in throwing good money after bad.

has PB proposed to ya kate?:D

MargaretR 17-03-2008 21:40

whisper -- surely not .... I thought she wanted to keep up with the Jones's;)

katex 17-03-2008 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 547460)
has PB proposed to ya kate?:D

Can think for meself thank you very much .... :p

garinda 17-03-2008 21:45

Not very Conservative, keeping unprofitable businesses open, propped up by tax payers money, is it?

What happened to the free market economy?

Your beloved Lady Thatcher must be livid with this turn of events, as she struggles the half mile to Raphael Street in Knightsbridge, to collect her pension.:D

andrewb 17-03-2008 21:51

I wondered when this would come garinda ;)

Hence my clause that it should only be supported if it's necessary and can't be financed privately.

A completely free market wasn't advocated by even the Iron Lady.

It's a very Conservative approach, for it is common sense asking for it to be reviewed, which clearly it does when even profitable post offices are facing closure!