Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Support For Migrants (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/support-for-migrants-40520.html)

BERNADETTE 20-06-2008 21:08

Support For Migrants

More than £400,000 is being spent to help migrants intergrate according to tonights Telegraph. Outreach workers will be employed to work with the Eastern European migrant population. At a time when money is being witheld from other projects is it right that this sort of money is being put in to projects like this? We also have our police and fire services learning the basics of the language in case of emergency!!!
When are they going to start thinking about the indigenous population Who could be benefitting from this money??

lettie 20-06-2008 21:14

Re: Support For Migrants

I am a firm believer that throwing money into helping migrant communities integrate has the opposite effect. Providing translators does not encourage anyone to learn the language. My great grandparents came here from Poland in the 20's, they had no such help but integrated, learned the language and even took English names to help them secure employment.
The money could be better spent on providing essential services for the whole community, not just a small fraction of that community.

Bonnyboy 20-06-2008 21:41

It’s about time that it was realised that the new influx of migrants, Eastern European or other wise, are only here to bleed the country dry.

Why spend cash attempting to help these folk integrate when the vast majority of them have no intension of integrating. They aren’t here to settle, have a family, make a new life for themselves. At least not a new life in this country. They live in groups, rent their accommodation and use it as no more than a doss house. They do work hard but only in order to save up as quickly as possible sending the cash home.

If they intend to stay here, put down roots and attempt to help us prosper as a country I think the cash to help integration is OK. Otherwise, I see it as a waste.

Neil 20-06-2008 23:35

I think the last two post are both spot on. It is a waste of money and shows that those who make these decisions are not in touch with what is going on.

Loz 20-06-2008 23:37

I am certain the money could be spent on far better things than this.
Everyday you just despair don't you at the way this country/county is going?

steeljack 21-06-2008 00:37

or you could look at it another way , consider the numbers of young educated British professionals (skilled and middle class)who have left the country over the years , leaving behind the upper class and the dross , Maybe its a secret Govt. plot to improve the indigenous gene pool
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bonnyboy 21-06-2008 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 595991)
or you could look at it another way , consider the numbers of young educated British professionals (skilled and middle class)who have left the country over the years , leaving behind the upper class and the dross , Maybe its a secret Govt. plot to improve the indigenous gene pool

They don’t stay long enough in the country to effect the gene pool one way or another, they make a fast buck and bail out.

Unfortunately, we let them :(

BERNADETTE 21-06-2008 00:55

Quote:

You really don't give a monkeys about who you insult do you?? There are plenty of educated British professionals left here and plenty of what you call "dross" prepared to work but we keep letting others in to take the jobs. Wonder if you would be quite so smug if your preffered country was letting everybody in, don't think you would but will wait for your reply. You really have no idea about the state of things over here apart from what you read in the press!!!!!

Mancie 21-06-2008 00:55

Quote:

Well I'm not upper class.. so I must be "dross".. steeljack you are so well informed considering you don't even live here!

Mancie 21-06-2008 01:08

This mass immigration is causing big problems.. and I would put it down to the Government and employers.. but it looks to me like we have to take it on the chin.
I don't think we are spending over the top on immigrant workers I know a polish bloke in his 20's that works a 40hr week and brings home less than £200 after tax.
I also don't believe that this.. or any other Government would shell out money to anyone without a return in the economy.

steeljack 21-06-2008 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 595999)
Well I'm not upper class.. so I must be "dross".. steeljack you are so well informed considering you don't even live here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 595998)
You really don't give a monkeys about who you insult do you?? There are plenty of educated British professionals left here and plenty of what you call "dross" prepared to work but we keep letting others in to take the jobs. Wonder if you would be quite so smug if your preffered country was letting everybody in, don't think you would but will wait for your reply. You really have no idea about the state of things over here apart from what you read in the press!!!!!

not insulting anyone , just passing a comment , how many posts have there been on Accy web from folks saying given the first chance they would be out of there , same with the ones who have said ' I wish I had gone 30 years ago when i was younger " I would make the suggestion that over 50% of Accy web users have some family member (sibling or cousin) who has left the UK in the last 50 years , most to Australia or New Zealand , and what did they all have in common ....most had some sort of higher education or a skilled trade.
Seems to me there are more folk who want to blame others for their misfortune than take a good look in the mirror , and its easy to blame the foriegner , seem to remember when the Ugandan Asians first came to Britain in the 70s , they arrived with the clothes on their back ....now look at them , for any "sub-group" they have produced more millionaires than any other ...why ... they got out of bed in the morning and worked .
Yep. I agree , I am an immigrant to a foriegn country , and to survive I had to adapt to the local ways ....probably easier for me because I spoke the language , but we also have thousands of illegal immigrents who move here and because they dont speak the language tend to end up in 'ghetto' communities with their own TV and radio stations and customs , and this does cause some friction , but you can be sure the majority of next generation won't give a damn about their parents origins

Mancie 21-06-2008 01:26

But we are not on about "illegall" immigrants steeljack! these people have been deemed to be entitled to work in this country.. almost like the bods that have came her from the Commonwealth.

steeljack 21-06-2008 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 596008)
But we are not on about "illegall" immigrants steeljack! these people have been deemed to be entitled to work in this country.. almost like the bods that have came her from the Commonwealth.

yep , know that , just threw it in before mob had a go at the Kosovans and Somalis, and just ask yourselves who would clean your houses or take care of your gardens without the Filipinos and Vietnamese ;) ;)

Mancie 21-06-2008 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 596009)
yep , know that , just threw it in before mob had a go at the Kosovans and Somalis, and just ask yourselves who would clean your houses or take care of your gardens without the Filipinos and Vietnamese ;) ;)

Here steeljack don't get personal ..had enough of "charlie" when I was in Nam!

BERNADETTE 21-06-2008 01:38

£400,000 that we haven't got to spend on the indigenous population yet we can find it for these displaced people who happen to displace themselves not just anywhere in Britian but in areas where folk are struggling to get any sort of activities. It is disgraceful IMHO