Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   42 Day Detention (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/42-day-detention-43229.html)

Benipete 13-10-2008 21:59

42 Day Detention

Looks like this bill is now dead in the water after being thrown out by the Lords.
118 for 309 against.

Royboy39 13-10-2008 22:03

Re: 42 Day Detention

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 640914)
Looks like this bill is now dead in the water after being thrown out by the Lords.
118 for 309 against.

Looks like the days of 'You will do as the Government says' are over. :o

Mancie 13-10-2008 22:03

Should have put a poll on this one Pete..the Lords were always gonna chuck this one.. just like the fox hunting..

Mancie 13-10-2008 22:06

looks more like the days of the "Lords" as they are the landed gentry..will always try to stay in power.. and for all those who were all for the 42 days rule..careful now

Royboy39 13-10-2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 640917)
Should have put a poll on this one Pete..the Lords were always gonna chuck this one.. just like the fox hunting..

Ye but, the lefties won on fox hunting and thousands lost their job as a result.

Royboy39 13-10-2008 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 640919)
looks more like the days of the "Lords" as they are the landed gentry..will always try to stay in power.. and for all those who were all for the 42 days rule..careful now

Are you talking of the newly appointed squire?...Sir Poncy?

Mancie 13-10-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 640921)
Ye but, the lefties won on fox hunting and thousands lost their job as a result.

thousands? I think thats abit over estimated ...not as many of the real thousands that lost jobs in mining,steel,fabrics.. under a Tory rule...I am stating that yourself and other members seemed to be all for the 42 days detention rule but have backed off now that the Lords (your real seat of government) are now blocking a Labour government.. surprise!

Royboy39 13-10-2008 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 640923)
thousands? I think thats abit over estimated ...not as many of the real thousands that lost jobs in mining,steel,fabrics.. under a Tory rule...I am stating that yourself and other members seemed to be all for the 42 days detention rule but have backed off now that the Lords (your real seat of government) are now blocking a Labour government.. surprise!

It was costing the British taxpayer many millions of pounds to prop up the Mining industry and the steel industry, the fabrics industry was overtaken by cheap imports from asia, as was the cotton industry in the 1960's.
I read today that milk imports in to the UK is reaching new levels.
The Labour Government have no answers to the questions that were asked when they were last in power.

garinda 13-10-2008 23:14

'...the government will publish a bill containing the 42 day plan; this bill will be held in reserve to be introduced should there be a terrorist emergency. Ministers said they had decided to follow this course because the introduction of the counter-terrorism bill would have been delayed by a year if the government had embarked on a lengthy battle with the Lords.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...sm-uksecurity1

cashman 13-10-2008 23:17

fer me if ever there was a case fer abolishing these snotty freeloaders this is it.:(

Royboy39 13-10-2008 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 640952)
fer me if ever there was a case fer abolishing these snotty freeloaders this is it.:(

The introduction of Baron Poncy helps does it? :)

garinda 13-10-2008 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 640952)

Don't be mean.

At least let Mark Thatcher don the ermine, and take his seat, after his mummy has been taken to Heaven by the angels, before it's consigned to the history books.

Mancie 13-10-2008 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 640950)
'...the government will publish a bill containing the 42 day plan; this bill will be held in reserve to be introduced should there be a terrorist emergency. Ministers said they had decided to follow this course because the introduction of the counter-terrorism bill would have been delayed by a year if the government had embarked on a lengthy battle with the Lords.'

Terrorism and security: government forced to drop 42 days plan | Politics | guardian.co.uk

An age old battle with the Lords yet again...when this Goverment get mashed at the next elections the slogan against them could be that they said they would rid us of the ugly seat of unelected power such as the Lords..but did not.. no matter the real financial help to the less well paid.. lone parents that have been helped.. the NHS that has improved massively.... the same old tax cut Tory kak will come on...and the same old sad people will vote them back.

garinda 13-10-2008 23:29

The vast majority of us here supported the increase to 42 days, as seen in our poll.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oll-41085.html

As with many things, such as the death penalty, and tougher immigration, longer prison sentences etc., those in power think they know what's better for us, than we the people.

Royboy39 13-10-2008 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 640957)
The vast majority of us here supported the increase to 42 days, as seen in our poll.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oll-41085.html

As with many things, such as the death penalty, and tougher immigration, longer prison sentences etc., those in power think they know what's better for us, than we the people.

Garinda....at the end of the day....we do as we are told...like it or lump it. :rolleyes: