Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 19:19   #1
God Member

£50,000 to hear Geldof swear.

Are we all still as convinced of Saint Geldof's sincerity?

Read this little gobbet of info and then try telling me that Live8 was all about altruism.

http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed....%208%20success
Old 04-08-2005, 19:24   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: £50,000 to hear Geldof swear.

Supply and demand.

If the Americans are daft enough to pay him that amount to listen to him, good luck to the ageing rocker.

Cherie Blair, Oscar Wilde and now St. Bob.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:53   #3
Senior Member+

And keep him over there for as long as possible!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:18   #4
I am Banned

i wonder if £50,000 puts him level with tony blair for the most paid people for talking crap..?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:38   #5
Resident Waffler

This is the guy who complained when people put Live8 tickets up for sale on eBay and called them for making money out of other people's poverty!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 22:00   #6
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i wonder if £50,000 puts him level with tony blair for the most paid people for talking crap..?
ahhh i like tony blair..and he dosent need a bath and a haircut,,,,,

a slice of £50,000 could have been a big help ..if b.g had have coughed up..
Old 04-08-2005, 22:43   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with willow on that- also agree with rindy= supply and demand, simple logic-thats life.
Old 04-08-2005, 23:34   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
No - that's Cheri you're talking about!

Old 05-08-2005, 02:28   #9
I am Banned

oops my mistake tonys the lying bastard out of the pair and shes the bulls1ttter

ime not anti labour just anti blair

Last edited by chav1; 05-08-2005 at 02:31.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:30   #10
Senior Member+

I'm anti Labour!

Old 05-08-2005, 12:47   #11
Give, give, give member

I don't really see the problem.

What Geldof does for charity, even if it is for altuistic reasons, does some good. He has a living and a family to keep like everyone else. If people are daft enough to pay him vast amounts of money to hear him drone on, good luck to the git.

No one berates footballers for the vast amount of money they can earn in the Premiership, or expect them to be any more charitable than anyone else. Although they do probably keep the luxury retail market bouyant.

Off to kiss the Blarney stone, and see if I can sign up for a tour of trailer parks now.

Old 05-08-2005, 13:58   #12
Resting in peace

To be fair, Bob Geldof does not need a bath - occasionally a comb would not come amiss! And it's true - he does have a living to make. I do give to charity, but I also buy myself the odd bottle of gin. The two don't conflict. I have to confess I know him, reasonably well, and I have the greatest admiration for the way he behaved when Paula Yates died. He is also not above giving his time for free - he lives in Battersea and was quite happy to come to the school where I was a governor and talk to the kids. If he can make a few bob, good luck to him!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 23:37   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I don't really see the problem.

What Geldof does for charity, even if it is for altuistic reasons, does some good. He has a living and a family to keep like everyone else. If people are daft enough to pay him vast amounts of money to hear him drone on, good luck to the git.

No one berates footballers for the vast amount of money they can earn in the Premiership, or expect them to be any more charitable than anyone else. Although they do probably keep the luxury retail market bouyant.

Off to kiss the Blarney stone, and see if I can sign up for a tour of trailer parks now.
the problem i have with geldof is that the scruffy jumped up git comes on TV demanding us poorer folk dig deep in our pockets and give money to HIS choice of charity but makes thousands off the back of charity for himself

i am willing to bet all the money i have he has made more money from or off the back off charity than what he ever made from his pop career

people only pay to listen to him because he is famouse for doing live aid and live 8 and i dare say no one ever books him because of his music

its all well saying he has a family to support but if i can support a family on my meezly income ime pretty sure somone with millions in the bank can manage just fine of teh interest alone and not go without food cloths or shelter

i agree that footballers get paid too much for kicking a ball around a field but they dont go preeching that we should be giving our money away to charities and their careers are short lived so they got to make all the money they can while they can before they get too old to play football or get injured badly and cant play ever again

lets face it after football the only thing beckham will be good for is been a door wedge
Old 05-08-2005, 23:42   #14
Give, give, give member

We don't know what he does or doesn't do with his money, like Pendy said he goes to schools and stuff for free.

Would you not go if they offered you money?

I would, my case is packed, l can talk ****e all day.

Old 05-08-2005, 23:46   #15
Resident Waffler

I'd have no problems with Sir Robert making as much as he wishes on the back of his charitable ventures were it not for the fact that he got on his high horse about people selling their Live8 tickets and accused them of making money out of the suffering of others.

The word 'hypocrisy' comes to mind, not to mention stones and glass houses.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..