Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 02:02   #1
Senior Member+

who's actually skilled at something?

i'm not talking football wise or anything - i mean i've got more skill than pele *cough* but skilled in the sense as in ur an expert or have a very advanced understanding of something.

i was coming back from london today and i realised i'm pretty much skilled at nothing - i'm good at alot of things but skilled at none...

so is it just me out there?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05   #2
God Member

Re: who's actually skilled at something?

I suppose we need to understand what makes someone 'skilled' as opposed to just very good at it? Official training? Lots of experience? Views of peers?

At work I pride myself in my technical skills. I am considered the techie at Barclays/Accenture BDCN in anything to do with WebSphere Application Server, Java (especially from a performance monitoring/tuning perspective). I guess I am also a bit of an expert in Linux in that I understand the vast majority of it such that I can alter source code for my own purposes and fix broken implementations. Yet I have no 'official' exam or certification in any of the above. Does this make me skilled or just very good at it?

Not that it bothers me either way. I enjoy my job, I enjoy learning new skills(off to London in 6 hours for a course in WBIMB(Go on Google it, I dare you )) so I'm happy with my lot.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi

Not that it bothers me either way. I enjoy my job, I enjoy learning new skills(off to London in 6 hours for a course in WBIMB(Go on Google it, I dare you )) so I'm happy with my lot.

Ian
No need to google Ian it obviously stands for:-

With Bull**** I Make Bucks!

Last edited by Less; 07-08-2005 at 09:07.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:20   #4
Roy
Administrator

At my place of work I am the general dogsbody and have to do everything. I am currently becoming very skilled in Need For Speed Underground 2, but alas, I have not gained a certificate for it.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:20   #5
God Member

You could expand this.... make a sticky thread of what everyone can do... electricians, plumbers stuff like that.... then when anyone needs summat doing they can call on an accyweb member...... bit like the masons ?... but no funny handshakes and everyone helps each other at special accyweb rates....ie "mates rates"
Old 07-08-2005, 09:22   #6
God Member

I ahve seven kids.... so if anyone is strugglling to start a family.... a simple PM will do.....always happy to help accyweb members
Old 07-08-2005, 10:48   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have certificates dropping out of my trouser leg for my job. The definition of which is..... Expert in normal childbirth. I think that this expertise is only aquired through experience. Many newly qualified staff still have no idea about certain aspects of the job and ask for help from senior members of staff, even though the newly qualifieds have their certificates.

Skill and expertise are developed through repeated performance of the task. Experienced midwives can be called on as expert witnesses in court cases involving childbirth. I hope the day never comes when they call me.......

I wouldn't know whether to consider my role as skilled or expert, I guess I've never really given it much thought..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:02   #8
Give, give, give member

I had to look it up!

Skill- the ability to do something well.

Art I suppose. I was good at it from being small, winning competitions and the like.

Looking at my old stuff, it was none of your play school houses for Rindy, ie: a box and four windows, l was using perspective pre school.

I was lucky enough to use my skill/talent to go on to get a B.A. [Hons.] in fashion/textiles, and have a very interseting job which took me all over the world touching....... I mean measuring the rich and famous.

Last edited by garinda; 07-08-2005 at 11:03.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:11   #9

im skilled at smiling!!! i can do it at any time of the day!!! even first thing in the morning...before coffee!!!! its true!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:30   #10
God Member

I'm skilled at being a wife and a mother...............sometimes not very well, but if it comes down to repeated exercise, then that i'm trained in...........................

Oh and i'm skilled in drinking beer. Even if I had no hands and my mouth healed up!!!!! I would find a way.

Also skilled in knowing how to really pee people off, that one I never fail in.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I ahve seven kids.... so if anyone is strugglling to start a family.... a simple PM will do.....always happy to help accyweb members
LMAO Kipax hehe...

Well apparently i'm very skilled with my tongue!..............and talking is very important!

I like to think i'm skilled in my job, iv'e managed to hold the same one down for 11yrs and it takesme all over the world so that can't be bad. I don't think i'm anything special nor would i think of claiming to be better than my collegues, but as Lettie said you learn by experience!. I work with guys that have worked there for 40+ years, there are things they can teach me and things i can teach them. So again hard to define.... although i do have Qualifications...

On a similar note, if you are qualified what is your job title??? Once upon a time the names where simple (superviser for example is now "team leader") It could be fun guessing at the real tiltle

If i want to impress i'm a Mechanical instalation and Comissioning Engineer
But in real terms, i'm a machine fitter

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39   #12
Beacon of light

Well, I haven't got certificates falling out of anywhere.......Up until 3 years ago (when I retired) I considered myself a very skilled Gynaecology Nurse.......I was also told that I had skills in teaching too (I DO have a certificate that says I can teach Adults).

I still maintain an interest in Nursing topics and frequently read up on new developments on different websites.... though I am not quite sure WHY I do this as I have let my registration lapse.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 13:42   #13
Resident Waffler

I have experience of teaching children but I wouldn't dare to claim any skill because half the time I don't think they listen to a word I say. I remind myself a bit of Joyce Grenfell "Sit down dear. Do pay attention. George! George dear. George, don't do that"

I spent 21 years in banking but with the changes in the finance industry I wouldn't dare to claim any expertise there either.

I've got plenty of experience at being a wife and Mum too and that has to cover a multitude of tasks.

I've always quite liked arty/crafty things and love being creative which now includes little graphic things on the PC.

I suppose really, like Mani, I'm a bit of a Jack (Jacqueline?) of all trades and master of none.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 14:25   #14
God Member

I think I will have to go with mani and willow on this one. I have worked in quite a few trades, currently working in housing but have also worked in jewellery, printing, cable tv, entertainment (box office at KGH) and (no laughing) the wheelie bin industry. So you can't get much varied than that!!!

I would also like to think that I am doing a pretty good job as mum to my two boys who are now 12 & 13 and still listen to me and do as they are told, I've been told that can be quite rare nowadays!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 15:53   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

must go with mani and others on this one- but i am very skilled at surviving.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..