Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Why Don't Drivers Slow Down? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/why-dont-drivers-slow-down-50432.html)

BERNADETTE 14-11-2009 12:24

Why Don't Drivers Slow Down?

Had to go to Liverpool yesterday to pick my grandson up from hospital and the way some people were driving on the motorway was disgraceful. It was raining quite hard and so there was loads of spray but some drivers especially in lorries and buses were speeding along like it was fine. Do they not give any thought to other road users when they choose to drive so dangerously? :mad: :mad:

shillelagh 14-11-2009 12:28

Re: Why Don't Drivers Slow Down?

Posted via Mobile Device no they dont bernie. Its raining at the minute and looking out thro my window cars havent slowed down either

BERNADETTE 14-11-2009 12:30

It was quite frightening coming back yesterday

accyman 14-11-2009 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 762827)
Posted via Mobile Device no they dont bernie. Its raining at the minute and looking out thro my window cars havent slowed down either

be fair if you were leaving haslingden would you be doing it slowly :)

shillelagh 14-11-2009 12:35

Posted via Mobile Devicemost are coming from accrington not hassy!

accyman 14-11-2009 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 762833)
Posted via Mobile Devicemost are coming from accrington not hassy!

obviously they need a damn good run up to get through haslingden as quickly as possible :D

shillelagh 14-11-2009 14:07

why is it when its fine the cars actually slow down going through rising bridge .. but when its pouring down they race through ...

accyman 14-11-2009 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 762850)
why is it when its fine the cars actually slow down going through rising bridge .. but when its pouring down they race through ...

big puddles and people like to splash :D

Neil 14-11-2009 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 762826)
It was raining quite hard and so there was loads of spray but some drivers especially in lorries and buses were speeding along like it was fine.

I thought most lorries were speed limited so they can't speed along.

How fast were you driving and what time of day were you on the motorway?

accyman 14-11-2009 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 762903)

this is true but some are limited to different speeds , this is why you get some moron in a lorry limited to 70mph taking half an hour to overtake anoither lorry limited to 69mph blocking two lanes of teh motorway or both on a dual carridgeway

or they take out the fuse in the fuse box that restricts them , some even disable the tacho graph so their misbehaviour dosnt get recorded but i bekieve its harder for them to do now but still not impossible

BERNADETTE 14-11-2009 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 762903)

How fast were you driving and what time of day were you on the motorway?

I would say Vicky was doing between fifty and sixty, given the conditions that was sensible IMHO. Lorries were overtaking us and even if they are allowed to do up to seventy that is to fast in bad conditions.

It was between seven and eight last night.

Neil 15-11-2009 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 762924)
I would say Vicky was doing between fifty and sixty, given the conditions that was sensible IMHO. Lorries were overtaking us and even if they are allowed to do up to seventy that is to fast in bad conditions.

It was between seven and eight last night.

I am not surprised you had lorries passing you if you were doing 50mph at times. The lorries can do 60mph. The spray looks different when you are say high up in a lorry than what you see in a car. Don't forget these are professional drivers that know what they are doing.

accyman 15-11-2009 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 762986)
. Don't forget these are professional drivers that know what they are doing.

unless from poland driving on a licence bought on ebay :(

BERNADETTE 15-11-2009 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 762986)
I am not surprised you had lorries passing you if you were doing 50mph at times. The lorries can do 60mph. The spray looks different when you are say high up in a lorry than what you see in a car. Don't forget these are professional drivers that know what they are doing.

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying it isn't very professional to cary on driving at sixty in adverse conditions just because lorries can. The more professional approach would be to consider the danger to other motorists, it would be dangerous slamming the brakes on at sixty surely? Problem is some drivers are just inconsiderate to other peoples safety:(

Neil 15-11-2009 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 763072)
Whilst I appreciate what you are saying it isn't very professional to cary on driving at sixty in adverse conditions just because lorries can. The more professional approach would be to consider the danger to other motorists, it would be dangerous slamming the brakes on at sixty surely? Problem is some drivers are just inconsiderate to other peoples safety:(

I doubt the conditions were classed as adverse, just raining with the usual spray you get when it does rain. It probably looked bad to you if you are not used to driving in those conditions. If your driver was concerned about the weather then she/he did the right thing and slowed down. IMHO you have to drive to your own abilities and hope that everyone else is driving to theirs.