Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-tory-dirty-tricks-brigade-and-the-media-52378.html)

Mancie 21-03-2010 21:20

The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media

Look's like the Tories have got it all sorted in the run up to the election..they can do no wrong according to the newspapers.. attacks on Labour are not only daily but seem to be created for the main news on BBC and early morning editions of the papers have new revelations that are forgot in the second editions..
this is not a fair fight regarding policy.. it's tory dirty tricks.. nowt's changed there then.

Margaret Pilkington 21-03-2010 21:24

Re: The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media

Personally, I find it irritating and counter productive for each party to try and discredit the other.......and I am sure I am not alone in this.
I would rather hear how the parties plan to get us out of the hole we are in at the present time.

Every election the parties try to sling mud at one another.

cashman 21-03-2010 21:31

dont suprise me one bit, but in all honesty, dont think its as bad as it was years ago, the media these days, due to their own decline, will slag any beggar if they think it will sell more papers.

Mancie 21-03-2010 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 799281)
Personally, I find it irritating and counter productive for each party to try and discredit the other.......and I am sure I am not alone in this.
I would rather hear how the parties plan to get us out of the hole we are in at the present time.

Every election the parties try to sling mud at one another.

of course every party will focus on the weakness of the oppostion.. I'm talking about the outright attack on Labour.. the newspapers and those who own them know which side thier bread will be butterd on.. and it ain't labour.:rolleyes:

BERNADETTE 21-03-2010 21:33

As Margaret has said it is not the mud slinging that interests me at either local or national level. It would just be nice for once if manifestos were written out with just a vein of truth in them from all sides. As far as I can see they are all just a bunch of liars who treat us all with contempt and as if we are thick:mad:

Margaret Pilkington 21-03-2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 799284)
of course every party will focus on the weakness of the oppostion.. I'm talking about the outright attack on Labour.. the newspapers and those who own them know which side thier bread will be butterd on.. and it ain't labour.:rolleyes:

Now come on Mancie.......newspapers come in all political persuasions, and they are, of course going to show the party they support, more favour that any other. You don't get turkeys voting for Christmas.
And to be fair Labour have had, what 13 years to get things sorted and they haven't cut the mustard.......or do you think that they have?
I am not sure that any political party has the cojones to tackle the real problems that afflict this country at the moment.
I shall be taking a pin to the polling booth with me.

Mancie 21-03-2010 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 799289)
Now come on Mancie.......newspapers come in all political persuasions, and they are, of course going to show the party they support, more favour that any other. You don't get turkeys voting for Christmas.
And to be fair Labour have had, what 13 years to get things sorted and they haven't cut the mustard.......or do you think that they have?
I am not sure that any political party has the cojones to tackle the real problems that afflict this country at the moment.
I shall be taking a pin to the polling booth with me.

Name a popular newspaper that is blatant Labour.. maybe the mirror
if we yap on enough I could name many that are blatant Tory.. respect to you Margaret but I would have thought you had grown up by now and sussed out the Press... if you ain't then just tells me 16yrs old should be allowed to vote..some of them have more sense.

Stumped 21-03-2010 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 799279)
Look's like the Tories have got it all sorted in the run up to the election..they can do no wrong according to the newspapers.. attacks on Labour are not only daily but seem to be created for the main news on BBC and early morning editions of the papers have new revelations that are forgot in the second editions..
this is not a fair fight regarding policy.. it's tory dirty tricks.. nowt's changed there then.

As you have previously hinted, Mancie, we should all be capable of making up our own minds about which party, if any, has the political ability to turn around the crisis in which this nation currently finds itself. The bouts of mudslinging by the mass media is merely propoganda that is best suited to the shredder. Should the combatants for the forthcoming general election ever get around to the sensible negotiation of a political prospectus that will benefit the UK as a whole, then we should be prepared to listen. In the end it will come down to the value of the pound in your pocket and the increased burden of taxation that none of the parties appear prepared to enlighten us about. Until that is made clear, I for one, reserve the right to continue abstaining. The televised head-to-head sessions could prove to be very interesting - or very embarrassing, as the case may be. The approach of the Labour biased BBC could develop into something quite controversail in the intervening days.

cashman 21-03-2010 21:53

agree stumped the shredder is the place fer it, thing is though there are many many of the "Jeremy Kyle" "Trisha" etc brigade that take everything read as gospel.:rolleyes:

Stumped 21-03-2010 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 799296)
agree stumped the shredder is the place fer it, thing is though there are many many of the "Jeremy Kyle" "Trisha" etc brigade that take everything read as gospel.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it. Some of them even pop up on this site now and again!

shillelagh 21-03-2010 22:07

theyre all as bad as each other .. thats why i stopped buying a daily newspaper. Only buy one on a sunday and basically its for the puzzle page and sudoku .. other wise i wouldnt buy one.

MargaretR 21-03-2010 22:09

I can't see why you are getting uptight about the election.
It is preplanned for the tories to win - its their turn to screw us for all they can.
I don't recommend anyone get annoyed about it - just go with the flow.
Sit back and watch all the silly backstabbing in the name of 'democracy'

Stumped 21-03-2010 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 799303)
theyre all as bad as each other .. thats why i stopped buying a daily newspaper. Only buy one on a sunday and basically its for the puzzle page and sudoku .. other wise i wouldnt buy one.

My current daily is the Express - but like you I only take it for the crosswords, etc and the brilliant strip cartoon: 'Calvin and Hobbs'. The cartoonist is plainly a brilliant observer of childhood behaviour. The tales surrounding a youngster and his imaginary friend have me in fits of laughter most days.

Mancie 21-03-2010 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 799306)
The tales surrounding a youngster and his imaginary friend have me in fits of laughter most days.

nowt changed there then Stumped..you still imagine you have friends :D

andrewb 21-03-2010 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 799294)
Name a popular newspaper that is blatant Labour.. maybe the mirror
if we yap on enough I could name many that are blatant Tory.. respect to you Margaret but I would have thought you had grown up by now and sussed out the Press... if you ain't then just tells me 16yrs old should be allowed to vote..some of them have more sense.

1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
Daily Telegraph - Conservative
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Yeah it might have changed now, but that's what happens in 13 years of politics!

garinda 21-03-2010 22:39

For years the Tories have accused the BBC of having leftist tendencies. Now Mancie says it's actually the other way round, and really they are anti-Labour. Even though there was the recent exposé about Dr. Who, attempting to bring down Thatcher's government in the mid eighties.

Were Shep and Petra a pair of fascist dogs?

Was Johnny Morris a raving Commie?

Did Phil Redmond write Grange Hill in '78, in the hope of keeping Thatcher from 10 Downing Street?

Does Paxman dress to the left, or to the right, in his reportedly shoddily made M & S briefs?

Bringback Tiswas!

Personally I find the news reporting on the Beeb to be fairly accurate, and without bias. They report what's happening. There's always editorial decisions made about what's deemed newsworthy, but that's life in news broadcasting, be it on television, radio, or over the garden fence.

If from time to time that doesn't suit the heavily media focused political parties, that's tough.

garinda 21-03-2010 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 799309)
1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Yeah it might have changed now, but that's what happens in 13 years of politics!

I know you were probably in nappies at the time, but I can personally assure you that the Daily Mail was never pro-Labour in 1997. Though interestingly, in the thirties it famously supported fascism.

In 1997 I knew both the owner, Viscount Rothermere, and the editor, Paul Dacre, quite well, and I can't state catagorically they, nor the newspaper, supported, or desired a New Labour victory. An attempt was made to recruit myself into a media plan to orchestrate bad publicity for Blair, pre-election, which I didn't take part in.

The Daily Mail did support Blair, and New Labour, in the 2001 General Election.

Facts are only worth anything when they're accurate.

;)

garinda 21-03-2010 23:03

Quote:

1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Though I admit at the time, in 1997, it was genuinely shocking to see so many traditionally Tory supporting newspapers, going red, and urging their readers to vote New Labour, after 18 years of Conservative rule, under four consecutive Tory governments.

It was a strange conclusion for them to make, and for the electorate to understand.

cashman 21-03-2010 23:05

But the sun actually did support blair rindy, so he got half his facts right.:D suppose thats near enough fer him.:rolleyes:

garinda 21-03-2010 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 799313)
But the sun actually did support blair rindy, so he got half his facts right.:D suppose thats near enough fer him.:rolleyes:

He was right there, that's true.

I could never work out if the Beano and Dandy were pro-New Labour in '97.

Perhaps a youngster, with an in depth political insight, might be able to throw some light on the matter?

:rolleyes:

cashman 21-03-2010 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799315)
He was right there, that's true.

I could never work out if the Beano and Dandy were pro-New Labour in '97.

Perhaps a youngster, with an in depth political insight, might be able to throw some light on the matter?

Memories not what it was, but the one with "Lord Snooty" in was probably still tory.:rolleyes::D

garinda 21-03-2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 799318)
Memories not what it was, but the one with "Lord Snooty" in was probably still tory.:rolleyes::D

That's the one, with little Tommy Licker, who was always running round after Lord Snooty.

garinda 21-03-2010 23:41

Quote:

1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Quoted from page 1...

'Meanwhile, instead of backing the Tories as they had done in 1992, The Times encouraged it's readers to back Euro-sceptic candidates of whatever partisan pursuasion (in 1997).'

Quoted from page 11...

'The 'Tory faithful' are readers of the three newspapers that continue to support the Conservatives in 1997, The Mail, The Express, and the Daily Telegraph.'
Powered by Google Docs

garinda 21-03-2010 23:53

He may have made a mistake, but still the most damning fact is that after four Conservative governments, all the traditionally supportive Tory press came to the conclusion the Tories had failed, and the future lay with a Labour government.

cashman 22-03-2010 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799329)
He may have made a mistake, but still the most damning fact is that after four Conservative governments, all the traditionally supportive Tory press came to the conclusion the Tories had failed, and the future lay with a Labour government.

But that is a damning fact, so my money says its one that certain people will "CHOOSE" to ignore.:D

Wynonie Harris 22-03-2010 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 799279)

I wondered why you were chucking your toys out of your pram last night, Mancie. Now I understand! Yes, Stephen Byers and his cohorts have scored rather a spectacular own goal for your lot, haven't they? Still, never mind, still plenty of mileage left in the Lord Ashcroft affair and who knows what else could break over the boy David's head? Surely, it's a bit early to be claiming "we wuz robbed"?

I'll tell you summat, Mancie, I can understand those who vote for either main party on a "lesser of two evils" basis, but anyone who still actually believes in them or trusts them really does need to wake up and smell the coffee! ;)

garinda 22-03-2010 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 799337)
I wondered why you were chucking your toys out of your pram last night, Mancie. Now I understand! Yes, Stephen Byers and his cohorts have scored rather a spectacular own goal for your lot, haven't they? Still, never mind, still plenty of mileage left in the Lord Ashcroft affair and who knows what else could break over the boy David's head? Surely, it's a bit early to be claiming "we wuz robbed"?

I'll tell you summat, Mancie, I can understand those who vote for either main party on a "lesser of two evils" basis, but anyone who still actually believes in them or trusts them really does need to wake up and smell the coffee! ;)

It really is most unfair of Auntie to report this as a 'news story'.

She's definitely a right-wing bigot, and trying to discredit New Labour, by making a mountain out of a mole hill.

They were simply applying the 'redistribution of wealth' theory.

BBC News - Ex-ministers in 'cash for influence' row under fire

Personally they disgust me. As I said yesterday, when I posted the link to the story in the Sunday Times.

andrewb 22-03-2010 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799323)
Quoted from page 1...

'Meanwhile, instead of backing the Tories as they had done in 1992, The Times encouraged it's readers to back Euro-sceptic candidates of whatever partisan pursuasion (in 1997).'

Quoted from page 11...

'The 'Tory faithful' are readers of the three newspapers that continue to support the Conservatives in 1997, The Mail, The Express, and the Daily Telegraph.'
Powered by Google Docs

Very well correct somebody if they make a mistake. Don't try and do it in a patronising way if you're going to make a fundamental error yourself. Mancie was not talking about the readership, but about the papers themselves, as was I.

Some of the papers I listed listed may not have had a firm backing of a political party, but the Mail often supported Blair and the New Labour project in the run up to 1997, and backed them at the 2001 election.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garinda
but still the most damning fact is that after four Conservative governments, all the traditionally supportive Tory press came to the conclusion the Tories had failed, and the future lay with a Labour government.

It's not that they 'failed', quite the opposite. The Labour Party would never have changed to New Labour if the Conservatives hadn't been so successful. When you have a seemingly fresh alternative after 18 years of government, which ended in sleaze, it's no surprise that newspapers who had backed the government in the past, chose not to on that occasion.

Wynonie Harris 22-03-2010 08:30

Today's Guardian editorial is certainly coming down hard on them...

MPs' sleaze: Byers for sale | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian

...still, what can you expect from such a rightwing, reactionary rag? It's Tory dirty tricks I tell you! ;)

garinda 22-03-2010 08:31

Just to keep Mancie happy...

What happened to Tories and the free market?

'The Tories have abandoned the free market and are now firmly in favour of a planned economy.'

'What happened to the consumer? At best Mr Cameron pays lip-service; at worst he is disingenuous. Towards the end of the document, he discusses “cutting the cost of security”. The last two words are the giveaway because, unlike old Tory thinking, this is not about cutting cost at all. It is about the much higher prices we must pay to meet the bill for minimum carbon prices and guaranteed prices for renewable energy.'
What happened to Tories and the free market? | Carl Mortished - Times Online

It's all very confusing.

Does this make the Times anti-Tory Lite, or pro-Labour?

:confused:

Perhaps someone with an in depth insight into the political allegiance of the press, in General Election years, will helpfully come along and explain it to us.

garinda 22-03-2010 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 799348)
Today's Guardian editorial is certainly coming down hard on them...

MPs' sleaze: Byers for sale | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian

...still, what can you expect from such a rightwing, reactionary rag? It's Tory dirty tricks I tell you! ;)

What's the unbiased world of publishing coming to?

Even that well known right-wing rag, the New Stateman, has the Byers for cash/hire story.

New Statesman - Cameron calls for investigation into lobbying claims

:rofl38:

garinda 22-03-2010 08:44

I do hope that by me helping to highlight these less than positive stories about Labour politicans, the 'usual supspects don't come crawling out' as per usual, with a barrage of abuse, accusing me of right-wing political bias.

:mosher:

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Stumped 22-03-2010 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 799308)
nowt changed there then Stumped..you still imagine you have friends :D

Are you telling me that you aren't a figment of my imagination, Mancie?

Margaret Pilkington 22-03-2010 10:54

Oh Mancie,......dear dear......who said I believed anything that the newspapers print, or for that matter what the BBC tells us.
I know that if a politician (of any shade) has a mouth that is moving, he is either telling lies(or spin is what they call it to make it sound better...but it is still lies) or he is trying to bamboozle the unsuspecting electorate into voting for him.(again, lies to promote his own greedy ends)

At 62 years of age I have heard all the lies, and just want someone who will tell it like it is and dig us out of this mess that the current encumbents seem to have progressively worsened.

I do not wish to hear the men who want to be elected, trading playground type insults......this is not how adults should conduct themselves, let alone those who believe they have the talent to lead us.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799310)
For years the Tories have accused the BBC of having leftist tendencies. Now Mancie says it's actually the other way round, and really they are anti-Labour. Even though there was the recent exposé about Dr. Who, attempting to bring down Thatcher's government in the mid eighties.

The 23 year old 'news' story about the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who being political was actually a reference to an minor element of one story in which three rival gangs of teenage girls fight amongst themselves. They happen to be coloured red and blue, the yellow ones being wiped out in the first five minutes and the red slogan being 'Red Kangs are best'. In the end, they form a coalition....

Bear in mind that in those days it was scheduled against Coronation Street in a desperate effort by the BBC to kill it off. Obviously a strong political campaign against Thatcher going on there then.

On a local level, I met my opponent last week and did the gentlemanly thing of shaking his hand and wishing him the best. His reaction that I wasn't a seething ball of spite seemed to be one of absolute astonishment, although perhaps not surprising as I have since witnessed him desperately trying to make me feel uncomfortable with the locals in the workmen's club in Rishton. It didn't work and didn't go down well either.

From speaking to people door-to-door, the one thing the electorate have least time for is an attitude of 'our party is best and they're rubbish'. I feel quietly smug that I haven't needed to resort to those tactics at all.

garinda 22-03-2010 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799370)
The 23 year old 'news' story about the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who being political was actually a reference to an minor element of one story

One story that ran over three episodes.

I don't know why you chose to place 'news' in quotation marks.

It was recently reported in the news, after the leftist idealists involved told of their devilish plan for Dr. Who to bring down Thatcher's government, in their youthful naivety.

Doctor Who in war with Planet Maggie - Times Online

garinda 22-03-2010 11:13

All news is edited, even what we chose to broadcast it via our conversations.

We decide what we think is important enough to pass on to someone else.

;)

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799372)
One story that ran over three episodes.

I don't know why you chose to place 'news' in quotation marks.

It was recently reported in the news, after the leftist idealists involved told of their devilish plan for Dr. Who to bring down Thatcher's government, in their youthful naivety.

Doctor Who in war with Planet Maggie - Times Online

'News' as in 23 years after the event. Hmm. That's one hell of a long-term political campaign if it's worth digging up now, 20 years after Maggie stepped down.

Matt Smith is wearing a red bow tie in the new series. That's got to mean something, hasn't it?

garinda 22-03-2010 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799375)
'News' as in 23 years after the event. Hmm. That's one hell of a long-term political campaign if it's worth digging up now, 20 years after Maggie stepped down.

Matt Smith is wearing a red bow tie in the new series. That's got to mean something, hasn't it?

If people decide to talk openly about something they previously haven't, that makes it newsworthy.

If a survivor from Waterloo decides, after all this time, to tell of his experiences, that might be deemed 'news' too.

;)

I think the trouble with the Beeb, and the accusations of political bias, is that as well as supposedly reporting the news accurately, they also have licence to carry out investagative journalism, Panorama, Newsnight etc.

Since there's probably more interesting things to investigate about the governing party, rather than the relatively powerless opposition, that leads the government of the day to cry political bias.

Which happened in the eighties, when the Tories accused the BBC of left-wing allegiance, and which today Mancie's now proclaiming is an anti-Labour bias.

I'm sure each successive government will carry on shouting 'They're pickin' on us', when the news is not what they'd like to see reported.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:35

The story I was referring to was Paradise Towers which isn't actually referenced in that article at all but probably the nearest they got to anything political.

It is with some interest that the writers of the stories they do refer to have all gone on record stating that they were not intended to be a dig at the government but they were interpreted as such by a small group of fans.

Mind you, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy wasn't supposed to be a pop at obsessive fans but it was taken that way. Read into it what you will. If you even care.

Anyway, back on topic. Those Tories, eh?

garinda 22-03-2010 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799379)
The story I was referring to was Paradise Towers which isn't actually referenced in that article at all but probably the nearest they got to anything political.

So there was more than one storyline, attempting to bring down the government?

See, you've uncovered a 'news' scoop.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799377)
Since there's probably more interesting things to investigate about the governing party, rather than the relatively powerless opposition, that leads the government of the day to cry political bias.

You'd think they'd be pleased. The predominant colour in the BBC news programmes was predominantly blue from 1984 to 1997 and then they had a bit of a revamp, when the predominant colour became red.

Could be a coincidence, but I'll be keeping a close eye on those pesky biased kids at the BBC come May if there's a new Conservative government....

garinda 22-03-2010 11:42

1 Attachment(s)
I think in this media-savvy, spin infested, political world we live in today, whenever something is reported that doesn't fit in with any party's agenda, they're going to cry foul play.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799381)
So there was more than one storyline, attempting to bring down the government?

See, you've uncovered a 'news' scoop.

It's nice to see that they've watched practically all of McCoy's era and made the most innocuous stories look political, yet missed the blindingly obvious.

Fleet Street journalism at its very best!

garinda 22-03-2010 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799383)
You'd think they'd be pleased. The predominant colour in the BBC news programmes was predominantly blue from 1984 to 1997 and then they had a bit of a revamp, when the predominant colour became red.

Could be a coincidence, but I'll be keeping a close eye on those pesky biased kids at the BBC come May if there's a new Conservative government....

Blue Peter!

More evidence.

Fifty two years of forcing Conservatism down poor youngster's throats.

That needs readdressing.

:D

garinda 22-03-2010 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799385)
It's nice to see that they've watched practically all of McCoy's era and made the most innocuous stories look political, yet missed the blindingly obvious.

Fleet Street journalism at its very best!

I think the people involved went to the press, to talk of their historic attempted coup, rather than it suddenly being uncovered by hacks.

;)

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799387)
Blue Peter!

More evidence.

Fifty two years of forcing Conservatism down poor youngster's throats.

That needs readdressing.

I'll get you, Biddy Baxter!!!!

garinda 22-03-2010 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799390)
I'll get you, Biddy Baxter!!!!

Bet you don't.

I'll have you off the set before the credits roll.

I'll find out if you're up the duff, took part in a soft-core movie, or snorted anything stronger than Vicks nasal spray, and you'll be out!

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799388)
I think the people involved went to the press, to talk of their historic attempted coup, rather than it suddenly being uncovered by hacks.

;)

It was actually the other way around. There was a lengthy documentary made for a DVD release of 1990s Doctor Who that would have been and it cropped up. Someone somewhere picked it up and ran with it as a hidden BBC scandal of the day and thus something which has been common 'knowledge' for years is now a news story.

All these people have now moved on and it was only ever a perceived undertone anyway. The saddest irony of all is that Sylvester McCoy has got more news exposure as the Doctor now than he ever did at the time.

I'm sure if we all looked hard enough we could see spurious bias in lots of other programmes we all grew up with. Lenny Henry, who was blatantly open about the government is his programmes, hasn't had a look in.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799392)
Bet you don't.

I'll have you off the set before the credits roll.

I'll find out if you're up the duff, took part in a soft-core movie, or snorted anything stronger than Vicks nasal spray, and you'll be out!

I had a beer once.

garinda 22-03-2010 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799393)
It was actually the other way around. There was a lengthy documentary made for a DVD release of 1990s Doctor Who that would have been and it cropped up. Someone somewhere picked it up and ran with it as a hidden BBC scandal of the day and thus something which has been common 'knowledge' for years is now a news story.

All these people have now moved on and it was only ever a perceived undertone anyway. The saddest irony of all is that Sylvester McCoy has got more news exposure as the Doctor now than he ever did at the time.

I'm sure if we all looked hard enough we could see spurious bias in lots of other programmes we all grew up with. Lenny Henry, who was blatantly open about the government is his programmes, hasn't had a look in.

I'll take your geeky word on the ins and outs.

I stopped watching it when that nice posh Dr., Jon Pertwee, morphed into a hippy.

garinda 22-03-2010 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799394)
I had a beer once.

We can't have alcoholics on BBC children's television.

Empty your locker, leave you key for the Blue Peter garden, and get out.

I hear they're looking for late night bingo callers on Channel 5.

Toodle pip.

Ken Moss 22-03-2010 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799396)
I'll take your geeky word on the ins and outs.

I stopped watching it when that nice posh Dr., Jond Pertwee, morphed into a hippy.

I just happen to know from a friend of a friend. Most nights you'll find me listening to Counterpoint and The News Quiz on Radio 4.

And that 'hippy' went on to become the dulcit-toned voice of those wonderful 'Ford's of Winsford' adverts on the wireless. There was some one-trick pony of a sketch show revolving around 'being a lady' but you wouldn't catch the nice people of Rishton watching that nonsense....

garinda 22-03-2010 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799400)
...but you wouldn't catch the nice people of Rishton watching that nonsense....

It'd be difficult, with them being on set as extras, when they weren't filming in Royston Vasey.

shillelagh 22-03-2010 16:52

just read this blog on the bbc .. google gordon brown and a sponsored link for the conservatives comes up!!:D:D:D

BBC - dot.Rory: The Tories buy 'Gordon Brown'

The New Militant Tendency
www.conservatives.com Read about Unite’s stranglehold on Gordon Brown’s Labour Party

yerself 22-03-2010 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh
The New Militant Tendency
The Conservative Party Read about Unite’s stranglehold on Gordon Brown’s Labour Party

I'd be more concerned about this:

Tower Hamlets Islamic extremist links denied | Eastlondonlines

Dispatches - 4oD - Channel 4

jaysay 23-03-2010 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 799468)

Dispatches was very interesting:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes :

garinda 23-03-2010 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 799523)
Dispatches was very interesting:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes :

Looks like not everyone watches Channel 4.

TORY POLL LEAD OVER LABOUR FALLS TO 7%

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Tory poll lead over Labour falls to 7%

Less 23-03-2010 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 799400)
I just happen to know from a friend of a friend. Most nights you'll find me listening to Counterpoint and The News Quiz on Radio 4.

Why do you have to rely on a friend of a friend of yours to find out what you have been up to?

Unless that beer is still having an effect? It must be strong stuff can you let us know where you got it?
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s8882.gif

Must be one of those everlasting pints!

Tealeaf 23-03-2010 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 799468)

You lot can think yourself lucky that you only watched this on TV; I have to live with it. This is serious stuff, unlike the laugh-a-minute as Jones and Britcliffe handbag each other.

garinda 23-03-2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 799559)
You lot can think yourself lucky that you only watched this on TV; I have to live with it. This is serious stuff, unlike the laugh-a-minute as Jones and Britcliffe handbag each other.

Give us a shout, if you need a hand. After losing your's.

jaysay 23-03-2010 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799533)
Looks like not everyone watches Channel 4.

TORY POLL LEAD OVER LABOUR FALLS TO 7%

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Tory poll lead over Labour falls to 7%

The poll was probably taken last week before anything was heard about the fantastic money grading four:rolleyes:

garinda 23-03-2010 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 799609)
The poll was probably taken last week before anything was heard about the fantastic money grading four:rolleyes:

A week's a long time in politics.

There's so many scandals coming to light, on all sides, perhaps the opinion polls should be taken hourly.

;)

Ring, ring.

Hello Mr Jaysay, I'm calling on behalf of YouGov, could I enquire which candidate you are planning to vote for in the forthcoming General Election?

Thank you for your help, and time. That's most helpful.

Goodbye.

Stumped 23-03-2010 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 799609)

Then they wonder why no-body wants to vote for them!

robot1002 23-03-2010 19:38

All I can say is. I would rather not have another Margaret Thatcher in power, and Cameron is from the same kind of mold,or should that be mould. She did so much damage to this Country that I said when she went:: It will take 20 years of a Labour government to repair the damage she has done. The 20 years is not up yet...Listening to everybody and their dog mouthing off about who should do what, and the crime, thieving, cheating, ETC of polaticians, bankers, and whoever can get their hands on unearned money, Holidays, free this and that. The nation is a crooked place to live....but this example is set by the very people that we should trust....Get rid of the rubbish, and give the job to (1) Vince Cable (2) Robert Peston (BBC ) And give them a free reigne to pick who they want to help them in the quest for a passage out of the stormy weather we are in now.....Com'on Captain Vince, snap out the orders lad, make the country jump to order.......

MargaretR 23-03-2010 19:46

......and Nigel Farage for president :)

Stumped 23-03-2010 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 799696)
......and Nigel Farage for president :)

Why not! The Farce that is the so called Palace of Westminster should be reconstituted as The Palace of Varieties with the current bunch of third rate music hall artists relegated to sweeping the floors.

jaysay 24-03-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799643)
A week's a long time in politics.

There's so many scandals coming to light, on all sides, perhaps the opinion polls should be taken hourly.

;)

Ring, ring.

Hello Mr Jaysay, I'm calling on behalf of YouGov, could I enquire which candidate you are planning to vote for in the forthcoming General Election?

Thank you for your help, and time. That's most helpful.

Goodbye.

To be quite honest I have never ever had a call pollsters ever, and I'm a captive audience:rolleyes:

jaysay 24-03-2010 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by robot1002 (Post 799694)
All I can say is. I would rather not have another Margaret Thatcher in power, and Cameron is from the same kind of mold,or should that be mould. She did so much damage to this Country that I said when she went:: It will take 20 years of a Labour government to repair the damage she has done. The 20 years is not up yet...Listening to everybody and their dog mouthing off about who should do what, and the crime, thieving, cheating, ETC of polaticians, bankers, and whoever can get their hands on unearned money, Holidays, free this and that. The nation is a crooked place to live....but this example is set by the very people that we should trust....Get rid of the rubbish, and give the job to (1) Vince Cable (2) Robert Peston (BBC ) And give them a free reigne to pick who they want to help them in the quest for a passage out of the stormy weather we are in now.....Com'on Captain Vince, snap out the orders lad, make the country jump to order.......

For Vince Cable and Robert Preston read Laural and Hardy, just wondering who would get who into a fine mess
:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

garinda 24-03-2010 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 799776)
To be quite honest I have never ever had a call pollsters ever, and I'm a captive audience:rolleyes:

Perhaps your down on a list somewhere, as not being a 'swinger'.

jaysay 24-03-2010 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 799805)
Perhaps your down on a list somewhere, as not being a 'swinger'.

Never quite thought of it like that, but I am now a free spirit and am able to be persuaded:D

Wynonie Harris 24-03-2010 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 799872)
Never quite thought of it like that, but I am now a free spirit and am able to be persuaded:D

So, it's OK for Graham to call round, then?

cashman 24-03-2010 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 799890)

Well he let me call round today.:D

jaysay 25-03-2010 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 799918)
Well he let me call round today.:D

Ya but I like you:D

jaysay 25-03-2010 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 799890)

He's been Wyn, I was sat on my bed watch the Telly sound up, hears the letterbox, goes to the door, its from Graham SORRY YOU WERE OUT card behind the door, I was bloody well in
:gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::g if_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::D

Tealeaf 25-03-2010 09:59

I've already got an election poster ready to stick in my front window ready for the political canvassers. It reads as follows:

UKIP WELCOME

THE REST OF YOU
POLITICAL *******
CAN SOD OFF DOWN
THE ROAD AND JUMP
IN THE RIVER.

OTHERWISE A KICK
IN THE BOLLOCKS
MIGHT HURT

Wynonie Harris 25-03-2010 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800048)
He's been Wyn, I was sat on my bed watch the Telly sound up, hears the letterbox, goes to the door, its from Graham SORRY YOU WERE OUT card behind the door, I was bloody well in
:gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::g if_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::gif_12::D

That's a real pity, as I'm sure you could've had a very interesting discussion.

Believe me, when I eventually call round, I'll be banging on that door and I won't be going anywhere until I've had a brew and some chocolate digestives! :D ;)

jaysay 25-03-2010 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 800053)
That's a real pity, as I'm sure you could've had a very interesting discussion.

Believe me, when I eventually call round, I'll be banging on that door and I won't be going anywhere until I've had a brew and some chocolate digestives! :D ;)

You mean God to man:D
You'll have to bring the digestives Wyn, don't keep them in the house, watching the weight you know:rolleyes::D

Wynonie Harris 25-03-2010 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800064)
You mean God to man:D
You'll have to bring the digestives Wyn, don't keep them in the house, watching the weight you know:rolleyes::D

Only joking about the biccies, mate. The pleasure of your company will be enough.

Bit worried about you thinking of Graham as a higher power though! ;)

jaysay 25-03-2010 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 800072)
Only joking about the biccies, mate. The pleasure of your company will be enough.

Bit worried about you thinking of Graham as a higher power though! ;)

He isn't:D

cashman 25-03-2010 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800048)

wouldn't have made any differance yer ruddy bell dont work.:D

jaysay 25-03-2010 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800174)
wouldn't have made any differance yer ruddy bell dont work.:D

Ya but I would have thought a super intellectual like Graham Jones might just have been able, with his years of experiences on the knocker, to suss that the bell wasn't working cashy, if not God help us if he gets to Westminster:D

andrewb 25-03-2010 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800215)
Ya but I would have thought a super intellectual like Graham Jones might just have been able, with his years of experiences on the knocker, to suss that the bell wasn't working cashy, if not God help us if he gets to Westminster:D

We're told that Labour have been out canvassing lots way in advance of the Conservative candidate.. Karen Buckley shouldn't have much to worry about if Labour haven't figured out how to knock on doors yet. :D

garinda 25-03-2010 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800215)
Ya but I would have thought a super intellectual like Graham Jones

Sarcasm?

You'll be the next to be accused of 'incredible rudeness'. Though not by myself, I might add.

Live and let live's my motto.

;)

cashman 25-03-2010 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 800218)
We're told that Labour have been out canvassing lots way in advance of the Conservative candidate.. Karen Buckley shouldn't have much to worry about if Labour haven't figured out how to knock on doors yet. :D

Well seems the tories aint figured out what rude is either,:D next time yer oer i'll teach ya if ya wish.:D

garinda 25-03-2010 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800222)
Well seems the tories aint figured out what rude is either,:D next time yer oer i'll teach ya if ya wish.:D

It's a one way street, apparently.

;)

andrewb 25-03-2010 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800222)

Main difference being I know Graham. Have met and spoken to him on several occasions. Subtle but important difference. ;)

garinda 25-03-2010 16:24

Oh dear.

This is getting even more complicated.

Apparently it's acceptable to be 'rude' to someone, if you've met them.

Anyone who's ever been to an Accy Web meet, better take cover, before you're similarly attacked.

;)

andrewb 25-03-2010 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 800236)
Oh dear.

Anyone who's ever been to an Accy Web meet, better take cover, before you're similarly attacked.

;)

If you wish to take it like that, you can. You're smart enough to know that wasn't what I suggested though.

Less 25-03-2010 16:30

Quote:

Oh dear.

;)

I prefer it the other way around, be rude to them on here, before I've meet them then, I don't seem quite as bad if they turn up to one of the meets, in fact I have overheard one or two as they walk away concerned about my health, I must look ill, they all say I'm beyond the pale!

Tealeaf 25-03-2010 16:31

I give up.....

garinda 25-03-2010 16:34

Quote:

Oh dear.

;)

I wonder if that same rule, insult negated, declared void, if done after a social introduction, when the accusation's 'they're all pickin' on me, and twistin' my words, and using them against me, in an unfair manner'?

YouTube - Crying like a Baby.

garinda 25-03-2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 800237)
If you wish to take it like that, you can. You're smart enough to know that wasn't what I suggested though.

Apologies.

There I go again, quoting exactly what you've said.

How very rude of me.

jaysay 26-03-2010 09:37

Garinda Hornblower, the only person that has to tell everybody ten times to make sure we've got his message

garinda 26-03-2010 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800383)
Garinda Hornblower, the only person that has to tell everybody ten times to make sure we've got his message

Not everyone.

There are plenty of people on here who can see the truth perfectly well the first time round.

;)

garinda 26-03-2010 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800383)
Garinda Hornblower

By the way, you might be better checking with the etiquette expert, to see if the name you called me is 'incredibly rude', or not...seeing as we've never met.

;)

jaysay 26-03-2010 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 800405)
By the way, you might be better checking with the etiquette expert, to see if the name you called me is 'incredibly rude', or not...seeing as we've never met.

;)

I'll bow to etiquette from now on Garinda:moon::D:rolleyes:

andrewb 26-03-2010 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 800405)

;)

I wrote an opinion in a post regarding how I felt you had been rude. Do you realise how pathetic you look constantly referring back to it? :rolleyes:

Less 26-03-2010 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 800446)
I wrote an opinion in a post regarding how I felt you had been rude. Do you realise how pathetic you look constantly referring back to it? :rolleyes:

Almost, but not quite as pathetic as you considering the above worthy of filling space on a server.
:cool:

Ken Moss 26-03-2010 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 800218)

The Tories haven't figured out how to start canvassing, let alone what to do when they get to the door.