Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Becoming a councillor (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/becoming-a-councillor-57469.html)

mani 09-04-2011 17:57

Becoming a councillor

steady on i'm not going to rival Sir Lord Sire of the shire Britcliffe...

but when choosing their candidates

how thorough are the parties in their checks of the candidates?

how far back do they search the history of the candidate and of any immediate family too?

accyman 09-04-2011 19:04

Re: Becoming a councillor

i think you have to have at least 3 counts of white collar crime against you or they wont even look at your application

cmonstanley 09-04-2011 19:30

dont know if they have changed since this but looks like they never did their homework Tories throw out councillor over 40-year criminal record | Society | Society Guardian

mani 09-04-2011 20:13

oh well if certain results go a certain way - and your a good investigative journalist then someone's going to have a field day!

garinda 09-04-2011 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mani (Post 897612)
oh well if certain results go a certain way - and your a good investigative journalist then someone's going to have a field day!

Don't be mean.

Give us a clue.

At least as to which ward they're standing in.

2011 elections: Hyndburn Borough Council candidates (From Lancashire Telegraph)

:D

As for being a councillor.

You cannot stand if:
  • you are employed by the Borough Council
  • you are bankrupt
  • you have been given a prison sentence of three months or more (even if the sentence was suspended) in the last five years
  • you have been disqualified from standing by a court or tribunal

jaysay 10-04-2011 10:00

I can actually see where Mani is coming from here, but I would think in some cases its very heard to check very far back into some peoples past, I do no one thing if you have a criminal record of any sort whether it was 5 10 or 40 years ago and its know, your very unlikely to be selected as a Tory Candidate, but finding out about a persons past is very hard work, if that person is unknown in the local community

cashman 10-04-2011 10:09

was always under impression a councilor had to be known in the local community?:confused:

jaysay 10-04-2011 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 897696)
was always under impression a councilor had to be known in the local community?:confused:

People move into a community cashy all the time doesn't make them illegible though, in fact you don't even need to actually live in the brought to be a councillors, so long as you have a business there

garinda 10-04-2011 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 897699)
People move into a community cashy all the time doesn't make them illegible though, in fact you don't even need to actually live in the brought to be a councillors, so long as you have a business there

You have to have lived, or worked in a borough for a year prior to the election, in able to stand as a councillor.

accyman 10-04-2011 15:48

one of the local tory councilors was told to show his face more in rishton con club rather than his regular haunt ossy con club by a higher voice when it was nearing teh elections for the rishton area

stan somthing or other

best put allegedly as it was second hand information but he did stop going in ossy con

seemed like a decent enough chap too he dressed up as zorro and helped us raise money for the local childrens hospice but lets not start beleeting on about charity work im sure he dosnt require a pat on the back every time he does a good deed

jaysay 10-04-2011 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 897741)
one of the local tory councilors was told to show his face more in rishton con club rather than his regular haunt ossy con club by a higher voice when it was nearing teh elections for the rishton area

stan somthing or other

best put allegedly as it was second hand information but he did stop going in ossy con

seemed like a decent enough chap too he dressed up as zorro and helped us raise money for the local childrens hospice but lets not start beleeting on about charity work im sure he dosnt require a pat on the back every time he does a good deed

Stan was a long time member in Ossy Con accyman long before he moved to Rishton, I suppose its hard work braking your drinking habits, but I do know he hasn't been using Ossy con for 4 or five years now.

BERNADETTE 10-04-2011 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 897759)
Stan was a long time member in Ossy Con accyman long before he moved to Rishton, I suppose its hard work braking your drinking habits, but I do know he hasn't been using Ossy con for 4 or five years now.

Was a regular at Rishton Con when I was working there but as seems to be the trend can be seen more often in Clayton Con these days:)

mani 11-04-2011 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 897694)
I can actually see where Mani is coming from here, but I would think in some cases its very heard to check very far back into some peoples past, I do no one thing if you have a criminal record of any sort whether it was 5 10 or 40 years ago and its know, your very unlikely to be selected as a Tory Candidate, but finding out about a persons past is very hard work, if that person is unknown in the local community

and i guess finding out backgrounds of family members is even more hard!

I'm sure a few wannabe-councillors have already got caught out in previous elections nationally.

Ken Moss 11-04-2011 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 897825)
Was a regular at Rishton Con when I was working there but as seems to be the trend can be seen more often in Clayton Con these days:)

Rishton Conservative Club is a fine institution.....but don't make that public or I'm out of the Labour party. It's a pretty non-political place these days and I'm always made to feel welcome but if I just popped my head through the door at election times I know that people would see through it in an instant and it would backfire very badly.

Rishton residents are quite election-savvy on the quiet and can spot vote-grabbing a mile off.

jaysay 11-04-2011 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 897835)
Rishton Conservative Club is a fine institution.....but don't make that public or I'm out of the Labour party. It's a pretty non-political place these days and I'm always made to feel welcome but if I just popped my head through the door at election times I know that people would see through it in an instant and it would backfire very badly.

Rishton residents are quite election-savvy on the quiet and can spot vote-grabbing a mile off.

Think that goes for area's Ken thats the reason the turnouts are usually quite low;)