Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 17:57   #1
Senior Member+

Becoming a councillor

steady on i'm not going to rival Sir Lord Sire of the shire Britcliffe...

but when choosing their candidates

how thorough are the parties in their checks of the candidates?

how far back do they search the history of the candidate and of any immediate family too?
Old 09-04-2011, 19:04   #2
God Member

Re: Becoming a councillor

i think you have to have at least 3 counts of white collar crime against you or they wont even look at your application

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 19:30   #3
God Member

dont know if they have changed since this but looks like they never did their homework Tories throw out councillor over 40-year criminal record | Society | Society Guardian
Old 09-04-2011, 20:13   #4
Senior Member+

oh well if certain results go a certain way - and your a good investigative journalist then someone's going to have a field day!
Old 09-04-2011, 22:05   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
oh well if certain results go a certain way - and your a good investigative journalist then someone's going to have a field day!
Don't be mean.

Give us a clue.

At least as to which ward they're standing in.

2011 elections: Hyndburn Borough Council candidates (From Lancashire Telegraph)

As for being a councillor.

You cannot stand if:
  • you are employed by the Borough Council
  • you are bankrupt
  • you have been given a prison sentence of three months or more (even if the sentence was suspended) in the last five years
  • you have been disqualified from standing by a court or tribunal

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00   #6
Resting in Peace

I can actually see where Mani is coming from here, but I would think in some cases its very heard to check very far back into some peoples past, I do no one thing if you have a criminal record of any sort whether it was 5 10 or 40 years ago and its know, your very unlikely to be selected as a Tory Candidate, but finding out about a persons past is very hard work, if that person is unknown in the local community
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was always under impression a councilor had to be known in the local community?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was always under impression a councilor had to be known in the local community?
People move into a community cashy all the time doesn't make them illegible though, in fact you don't even need to actually live in the brought to be a councillors, so long as you have a business there
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
People move into a community cashy all the time doesn't make them illegible though, in fact you don't even need to actually live in the brought to be a councillors, so long as you have a business there
You have to have lived, or worked in a borough for a year prior to the election, in able to stand as a councillor.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:48   #10
God Member

one of the local tory councilors was told to show his face more in rishton con club rather than his regular haunt ossy con club by a higher voice when it was nearing teh elections for the rishton area

stan somthing or other

best put allegedly as it was second hand information but he did stop going in ossy con

seemed like a decent enough chap too he dressed up as zorro and helped us raise money for the local childrens hospice but lets not start beleeting on about charity work im sure he dosnt require a pat on the back every time he does a good deed

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 18:17   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
one of the local tory councilors was told to show his face more in rishton con club rather than his regular haunt ossy con club by a higher voice when it was nearing teh elections for the rishton area

stan somthing or other

best put allegedly as it was second hand information but he did stop going in ossy con

seemed like a decent enough chap too he dressed up as zorro and helped us raise money for the local childrens hospice but lets not start beleeting on about charity work im sure he dosnt require a pat on the back every time he does a good deed
Stan was a long time member in Ossy Con accyman long before he moved to Rishton, I suppose its hard work braking your drinking habits, but I do know he hasn't been using Ossy con for 4 or five years now.
Old 10-04-2011, 22:43   #12
God Member

Quote:
Stan was a long time member in Ossy Con accyman long before he moved to Rishton, I suppose its hard work braking your drinking habits, but I do know he hasn't been using Ossy con for 4 or five years now.
Was a regular at Rishton Con when I was working there but as seems to be the trend can be seen more often in Clayton Con these days
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
I can actually see where Mani is coming from here, but I would think in some cases its very heard to check very far back into some peoples past, I do no one thing if you have a criminal record of any sort whether it was 5 10 or 40 years ago and its know, your very unlikely to be selected as a Tory Candidate, but finding out about a persons past is very hard work, if that person is unknown in the local community

and i guess finding out backgrounds of family members is even more hard!

I'm sure a few wannabe-councillors have already got caught out in previous elections nationally.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02   #14
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Was a regular at Rishton Con when I was working there but as seems to be the trend can be seen more often in Clayton Con these days
Rishton Conservative Club is a fine institution.....but don't make that public or I'm out of the Labour party. It's a pretty non-political place these days and I'm always made to feel welcome but if I just popped my head through the door at election times I know that people would see through it in an instant and it would backfire very badly.

Rishton residents are quite election-savvy on the quiet and can spot vote-grabbing a mile off.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Rishton Conservative Club is a fine institution.....but don't make that public or I'm out of the Labour party. It's a pretty non-political place these days and I'm always made to feel welcome but if I just popped my head through the door at election times I know that people would see through it in an instant and it would backfire very badly.

Rishton residents are quite election-savvy on the quiet and can spot vote-grabbing a mile off.
Think that goes for area's Ken thats the reason the turnouts are usually quite low

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..