Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   the railways (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-railways-60919.html)

cmonstanley 08-03-2012 12:05

the railways

BBC News - Justine Greening announces railway cost-cutting plans who thinks the railways should be re nationalised?

cmonstanley 08-03-2012 12:10

Re: the railways

My argument is the money the private firms have paid their shareholders should have been re invested or used in another useful way.the public money that has been given to private firms is a disgrace.back in the eighties we were promised competition which would have meant cheaper rail travel.what we got was the opposite.the most expensive in europe .

cashman 08-03-2012 12:46

The same principal applies fer most of our industry, not just those they sold off, The railways should certainly not have been flogged off.;)

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2012 13:43

Something drastic needs to be done. Commuters are paying through the nose for transport that is atrocious. There must be a way to make public transport more user friendly. They want to get people out of their cars and onto public transport, yet what transport there is, appears not to be fit for purpose.
I am with Cashy in thinking that public transport should not be in the hands of those who only want to make a profit, not run a service.

flashy 08-03-2012 15:34

Rail prices are set to rise yet again...for the second time in 6 months, it really pee's me off, as many know i travel a lot by train, my family railcard from April will be £30, that goes up at a rate of £2 per year, kids get 60 % off with it and adults get 1/3 off, soon the price rises are going to stop me travelling by train because i just can't afford it which is such a shame because i love travelling the country by train

cashman 08-03-2012 15:40

I very rarely use the train these days, even though i much prefer it, Far too expensive. Got a price to go Norwich Return a few years ago was just oer £200, costs me less to FLY to Malaga.:(

mobertol 08-03-2012 16:19

I love travelling by train -at the perfect height for seeing everything out of the window and you can read, listen to music etc while you travel. You also get more of a sense of the distance your travelling. I always seem to manage to strike up a conversation with fellow passengers and it's nice to talk to complete strangers for a while...other people's lives are so interesting.

As to re-nationalizing -imagine that would be difficult -if it were for me though we'd go back to the age of steam too!:D

jaysay 08-03-2012 17:45

Just where would we get the money to re nationalise the railways, remember the countries broke, we've no money we're in hock up to our neck,

cmonstanley 08-03-2012 17:48

well they found 3 billion for this BBC News - Green bank headquarters to be based in Edinburgh

accyman 08-03-2012 17:49

yes and add water ,gas and electricity to that as well

accyman 08-03-2012 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 976186)

seems to be plenty of money floating around

millions in unjustified and unwanted aid and billions for this

Mancie 08-03-2012 23:04

Of course the railways should be re- nationalised but can't see any way it will happen... it's already been said here that the privitisation should not have happend same as electric and gas...but most worrying is the Tory dogma and hatred of any "public service"...the NHS is the seems to be the next target.

cashman 08-03-2012 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 976277)
Of course the railways should be re- nationalised but can't see any way it will happen... it's already been said here that the privitisation should not have happend same as electric and gas...but most worrying is the Tory dogma and hatred of any "public service"...the NHS is the seems to be the next target.

Don't take Bamber Gascoigne to figure out who the 1 vote is?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

accyman 09-03-2012 00:22

the government could grow a set of balls and do a compulsary purchase of the rail system and untilities.If councils can force people out of their homes with compulsary purchase orders giving people under value of their property i dont see why government cant do teh same with services.In some countries a government would walk in and shoot the owners and take ownership so i dont think a comulsary purchase seems to bad once you weigh up alternatives :D

or we could all just march down to london and torch the houses of parliament with teh lot locked inside and start a fresh :D

Less 09-03-2012 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 976280)

or we could all just march down to london and torch the houses of parliament with teh lot locked inside and start a fresh :D

We would have to march down, trying to get there on public transport would be far too expensive and we wouldn't get there on time!