Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ukip (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ukip-62920.html)

gynn 24-11-2012 06:41

Ukip

Ridiculous story of the week.

BBC News - UKIP couple have foster children removed from care

Might I suggest that the focus of this story should NOT be on UKIP, but should rather be on the loony political cultures that exist in Council Social Services Departments?

cashman 24-11-2012 08:08

Re: Ukip

Completely nuts, yet don't really shock me, The decision is so out of touch with what i reckon other people think, This is another cast iron reason fer folk to vote UKIP.:(

Guinness 24-11-2012 08:33

Absolutely outrageous!

Problem with Social Services across the country is that they make it up as they go along and appear to be answerable to no-one but themselves.

One trick pony or not, they have my vote next time if they field a candidate.

Less 24-11-2012 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1029195)
Absolutely outrageous!

Problem with Social Services across the country is that they make it up as they go along and appear to be answerable to no-one but themselves.

One trick pony or not, they have my vote next time if they field a candidate.

I do hope our elected representatives both local and in Parliament, pay attention to the reactions of common folk to this.
They are going to have to work hard to get re-elected if this is the sort of thing they are willing to have happen to members of a legal political party.

cashman 24-11-2012 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1029196)
I do hope our elected representatives both local and in Parliament, pay attention to the reactions of common folk to this.
They are going to have to work hard to get re-elected if this is the sort of thing they are willing to have happen to members of a legal political party.

I would hope so also, but somehow i doubt very much if it will be the case.:rolleyes:

Eric 24-11-2012 17:50

More than a little crazy. The couple were caring for kids for chrissake.

"Racism" seems like a word that is tossed around a lot over there. Even refs are getting undeserved flack.;) Sure there is racism in the world ... millions of yanks, for example, still look at President Obama and see nothing more than a nigger.:rolleyes: But it is insane pc - ism to see Nazi style racism in almost everything that white Britons do in order to save a national identity built up over centuries. There is no reason whatsoever that immigrant minorities cannot become part of this tradition. It's the ones that take advantage of Britain, at the same time as they damn it, that are the problem. And I think that the saving of this national heritage is what the Ukip is primarily about. (Canada, for example, and Australia, New Zealand ... even the yanks have based their societies on what was created in England.) And voters' turning to this party in large numbers suggests that a lot of reasonable Brits (and, of course, some unreasonable ones) support its platform.

I didn't mention the EU ... that's a whole 'nother ball game.:D

accyman 25-11-2012 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1029196)

of course he will pay attention

he needs to so he can prommise to deliver what the majority want then do the absolute opposite

ps:

lay of the scrap metal theft issue for gods sake graham.I left a cooker out for the council over a week ago an dits still there.Normally the nice gypsie folk would have taken it long before the council ever got to it

accyman 25-11-2012 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1029289)
Even refs are getting undeserved flack.;)

i find it gauling that a ref be accused of racism after decades of been called blind and enquiries as to who the bastard in the black is by thousands of people every weekend

Wynonie Harris 30-11-2012 12:25

OK, it was a low turn out but it's a sign that perhaps the political landscape is altering. Better wake up, Tories and Labour, they're coming for your votes!

Ukip takes second place in by-elections - Telegraph

lindashanks2 30-11-2012 12:32

World's gone mad.

Wynonie Harris 30-11-2012 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 1030002)
World's gone mad.

Don't know about the world, but there's certainly plenty of insanity in Brussels! That's why the major parties are terrified of letting us plebs have a vote on it in the form of referendum.

Less 30-11-2012 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1030003)
Don't know about the world, but there's certainly plenty of insanity in Brussels! That's why the major parties are terrified of letting us plebs have a vote on it in the form of referendum.

You owe me 5% of a like, only 95% of me can be bothered to agree with you.
;)

cashman 30-11-2012 13:57

Thing is now,i reckon, even less people will now see a vote fer U.K.I.P. as a wasted vote, The time fer the big 3 to get off the pot is drawing nearer imho.

accyman 30-11-2012 17:06

i wouldnt even say there was a big 3

Lib dems are more like a bit of poop that just wont let go but with a little shake will end up in the crapper all the same after their alliance with the tory's

heard on the news today that councils are been forced to make further cuts and many jobs will be lost.A local councilor also said services will be seriously effected

so in short the people of this country regardless of race or colour will have to go without just so we can keep providing for europes unwanted,keep terrorists in luxury and support countries like greece

were in it together

pahh the only thing camerons lost is his daughter in a pub

Stumped 30-11-2012 17:28

One thing is guaranteed come the next General Election, UKIP will vastly outnumber the Liberal Democrats at Westminster. I may even chance a vote myself!!!

Barrie Yates 01-12-2012 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1030018)
i wouldnt even say there was a big 3

heard on the news today that councils are been forced to make further cuts and many jobs will be lost.A local councilor also said services will be seriously effected

Read this week that many councils are sitting on substantial amounts of cash - "savings for a rainy day"
Would be very interesting to hear from one of our councillors how big the Hyndburn Reserve Account is.

Less 01-12-2012 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1030100)
Read this week that many councils are sitting on substantial amounts of cash - "savings for a rainy day"
Would be very interesting to hear from one of our councillors how big the Hyndburn Reserve Account is.

Our £3.50 was spent promoting the Market wasn't it?
Have you noticed, when you visit friends around here every household has a half finished doyley lying about the place?

gynn 01-12-2012 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1030100)

Maybe I can help.

At the beginning of this year it stood at £3.1million, thanks to prudent financial management in recent years.

But before suggesting a spending spree, it should be noted that this is not a big amount for a Council with a multi million pound turnover, facing a multitude of financial threats from all sides.

Which threats? Well, let me quote the Council's Director of Resources in his budget report last year:-

The MTFS (Medium Term Financial Strategy) outlines the large number of potential claims on our expenditure from items that are not contained within the Budget.... Some of the potential calls upon the Reserves are listed below from the MTFS:-

* the Governments stated intention to significantly revise the distribution method for the allocation of grants to local authorities, this could lead to a further major reduction in our revenue source at short notice in 2013/14

* the threat of having to repay land charge search fees after a ruling from Europe that these fees have been levied contrary to European Environmental Law.

* the threat of substantial increased costs from Government proposals to transfer Council Tax Benefit to the Council.

* the increased threat of industrial action during a period of public sector pay restraint and job losses

* the Government’s stated intention to end paying Housing Benefit and the potential for large residual costs that may fall upon Councils in terminating this service

* the increased threat of employment tribunal awards during a period of staff reductions and employee relations tension

* emergency spend pressures in-year, due to one-off items of capital or revenue spend

* risks around the conclusion of the Housing Market Renewal Programme

* the continuing trading difficulties experienced by Leisure in Hyndburn

* financial pressures on partner organisations and the third sector in general.

* supplier failure during an elongated recession

* environmental warranties on our land and guarantees provided to Hyndburn Homes over land transferred to them

* the threat that Central Government will pass fines from Europe directly to Councils if the UK fails to meet its targets on climate change and environmental improvements.

* continuing reductions in our fees and charges income as the Recession continues.

This is not a fully comprehensive list of the all of the potential calls that could be made on the Reserves, however it provides some indication of the financial risks outside the core Budget that the Council could face.

So basically, it would be madness for the Council to substitute these reserves for core funding from central government. Both major parties at Hyndburn have, I believe, always supported this stance.

annesingleton 01-12-2012 20:20

Hyndburn Council don't run Social Services, its Lancashire County Council, and as for the authority who removed the children from the UKIP foster carers, I really hope that there was more to the story that hasn't been made public.

Less 01-12-2012 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 1030253)
Hyndburn Council don't run Social Services, its Lancashire County Council, and as for the authority who removed the children from the UKIP foster carers, I really hope that there was more to the story that hasn't been made public.

Why would you hope there is more to the story? I would rather it turned out to be a stupid non story than to find the children had suffered any extra harm.

gynn 02-12-2012 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1030269)
Why would you hope there is more to the story? I would rather it turned out to be a stupid non story than to find the children had suffered any extra harm.

Anne obviously means that there may be more to the foster parents' background that makes simply being members of UKIP the tip of the iceburg.

Absolutely nothing to do with extra harm to the kids.

Bit surprised at you over that one, Less.

Guinness 02-12-2012 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 1030280)
Anne obviously means that there may be more to the foster parents' background that makes simply being members of UKIP the tip of the iceburg.

If that were so, the Social Services would have even more to answer for, since the family in question have apparently been approved foster carers for seven years. Besides I'm sure the media have been out and about digging for dirt and come up empty.

Seems to me to be an issue created by a crackpot PC jobsworth. The social services are quite good at preaching multiculturalism, equality and diversity but extremely poor at putting it into practice. This is out and out racism, just imagine the outcry if a white child were removed from a loving black foster family on the grounds of culture.

Don't forget this is fostering not adoption, these are emergency placements meant to temporarily protect kids from harm and keep them safe until a permanent solution is found.

accyman 03-12-2012 11:03

basically these kids were removed because their foster carers want out of the EU and immigration cutting until this country can accomodate those it already has here.

mind you the way things are going with police cuts , council services cuts etc the UK may not be that an attractive prospect in a few years

social services seem to be unable to spot a problem when a child has bruises all over its body but the second someone caring for a child holds an opinion that differs to the fairy tail world do gooders live in the child is whisked away :mad:

annesingleton 03-12-2012 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1030269)

My point is that we only know what's been reported in the press, as it stands it seems wrong but there may be other factors involved which we are not aware of - where are the press likely to have got the story from? Almost certainly not from Social Services who are also not allowed to defend their position in the media.

cashman 03-12-2012 22:19

Sorry as it stands it don't seem wrong, It is certainly wrong simple as.

Guinness 04-12-2012 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 1030539)
Almost certainly not from Social Services who are also not allowed to defend their position in the media.

Not true at all!

Although individual workers are not allowed to make comment, Social Services as an entity is open to challenge and expected to give reasons for decisions. And they already have done, hence the one it has given....the political leanings of the foster parents!

You are looking for conspiracy theory when there so clearly isn't one in this case

cmonstanley 13-12-2012 21:10

yes it is due to the data protection act .they would go to jail.all we know they were ethnic minority kids.we dont know the evidence in which the social workers acted on.they cant say.maybe they were listening to david cameron Nigel Farage declares war on David Cameron over Ukip racism 'slur' - Telegraph :eek:

Guinness 14-12-2012 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032009)
yes it is due to the data protection act .they would go to jail.all we know they were ethnic minority kids.we dont know the evidence in which the social workers acted on.they cant say.maybe they were listening to david cameron Nigel Farage declares war on David Cameron over Ukip racism 'slur' - Telegraph :eek:

Do you even read the links you post before spouting your drivel?

God alone knows how you managed to link the Data Protection Act to this debacle because that particular law is not relevant to the points that are being raised.

You say 'they would go to jail'...who would? Everyone from social services, the whole of Rotherhams loony left Labour council, the kids, the foster parents?

We do know the evidence, we've known it all along and now we've had Joyce Thacker the PC social services jobsworth responsible admitting it and attempting to justify it.

Council defends taking foster children away from UKIP members - Telegraph

I know you're north of the border..but do try to keep up :D

Margaret Pilkington 14-12-2012 06:43

Guinness - don't waste your time.
You can't put sense where there is none.

Neil 14-12-2012 09:00

Is David Cameron a closet UKIP supporter because he appears to believe that multiculturalism has failed in the UK? Here is a speech of his BBC News - State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

cashman 14-12-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1032052)
Is David Cameron a closet UKIP supporter because he appears to believe that multiculturalism has failed in the UK? Here is a speech of his BBC News - State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

Cameron, like em all but more so, will lean in any direction, if he thinks its a vote catcher.

cmonstanley 16-12-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1032036)
Do you even read the links you post before spouting your drivel?

God alone knows how you managed to link the Data Protection Act to this debacle because that particular law is not relevant to the points that are being raised.

You say 'they would go to jail'...who would? Everyone from social services, the whole of Rotherhams loony left Labour council, the kids, the foster parents?

We do know the evidence, we've known it all along and now we've had Joyce Thacker the PC social services jobsworth responsible admitting it and attempting to justify it.

Council defends taking foster children away from UKIP members - Telegraph

I know you're north of the border..but do try to keep up :D

you dont know british law then any body who works with or works for any goverment department signs this and if you break it you go to jail simples .social security act social services act its all the same.if the press really wanted to investigate this they would put in a freedom of information act request but there is more to this than meets the eye.

Guinness 16-12-2012 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032508)
you dont know british law then any body who works with or works for any goverment department signs this and if you break it you go to jail simples .social security act social services act its all the same.if the press really wanted to investigate this they would put in a freedom of information act request but there is more to this than meets the eye.

Rubbish....there is absolutely no need for anyone to sign the Data Protection Act , its a law, its like saying you need to sign up to the Road Traffic Act.

'fraid its the dunces hat in the corner again for you :D

Less 16-12-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1032521)
Rubbish....there is absolutely no need for anyone to sign the Data Protection Act , its a law, its like saying you need to sign up to the Road Traffic Act.

El thicko is probably confusing data protection with official secrets act.

cashman 16-12-2012 22:29

Have just read that according to polls U.K.I.P. are now Britains 3rd largest party,wi 14% pushing Lib Dems into 4th wi 9%, another 9/12 months or so n the Big 2 will be crapping Blue Lights.:D;) That was on the Sky U.K. news page if anyone wants a laugh.

cmonstanley 17-12-2012 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1032521)

you break the law you pay the consequences with your liberty and job that means you have to obey the law that means you have to agree to abide by the data protection act.simples:rolleyes:;)

Guinness 18-12-2012 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032712)
you break the law you pay the consequences with your liberty and job that means you have to obey the law that means you have to agree to abide by the data protection act.simples:rolleyes:;)

Yup, they also have to agree to abide by the Road Traffic Act, the Immigration Act, the Telecommunications Act, the Parking and Waiting Act and the Live Music Act. The problem is that in the instance we are discussing, which is Social Services as an entity responding to these accusations, they are not relevant and neither is the Data Protection Act.

The Act that is relevant here is the Equality Act, which Social Services has most definitely breached. Unlikely that anyone in government or opposition will have the bottle to do anything about the overpaid PC civil servants that make these decisions. Which is yet another reason why people should vote UKIP next time.

simples :rolleyes:

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 18:07

1 Attachment(s)
ha ha your years out of date :D the more i read about ukip and their policies it scares the poo out of me:eek:

jaysay 18-12-2012 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032508)

I knew there was something about Accyweb I didn't miss while I was in dock, and its just reared its stupid bigoted head again and you still can't spell Government right, you'd think that for somebody who likes the ram it down everybody's throat every two minutes you do us the courtesy of spelling the flaming thing right :mad:

cashman 18-12-2012 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032830)
ha ha your years out of date :D the more i read about ukip and their policies it scares the poo out of me:eek:

So do dog stabbers.:D:D:D

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 18:48

your back, welcome back:D

Guinness 18-12-2012 18:49

Quote:

Not a UKIP policy. It's one loose cannon prospective councillor standing for a backwater council. And unlike you, I am not blinkered. I am quite able to say that this guy is an idiot, he should be tarred and feathered and railroaded out of politics completely. Apparently he has already been suspended from UKIP.

When Labour or Tory party members do stuff like this, the political mandarins wring their hands for a few weeks whilst spin doctors do their work and promote them to the house of lords. And people like you usually go to ground until it all blows over without one word of condemnation.

Care to comment on Diane Abbot, Margaret Moran, Tony Blair etc..etc..etc..??

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 18:49

but on a more serious note google ukip policy on welfare pensions etc.its like logans run all over again:eek::D

Gordon Booth 18-12-2012 18:50

Quote:

it scares the poo out of me:eek:

It's just a shame you never run out of it.

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1032851)
Not a UKIP policy. It's one loose cannon prospective councillor standing for a backwater council. And unlike you, I am not blinkered. I am quite able to say that this guy is an idiot, he should be tarred and feathered and railroaded out of politics completely. Apparently he has already been suspended from UKIP.

When Labour or Tory party members do stuff like this, the political mandarins wring their hands for a few weeks whilst spin doctors do their work and promote them to the house of lords. And people like you usually go to ground until it all blows over without one word of condemnation.

Care to comment on Diane Abbot, Margaret Moran, Tony Blair etc..etc..etc..??

so why is he allowed to stand under the ukip banner:confused: i dont remember anybody from labour supporting hitler ideology

Margaret Pilkington 18-12-2012 18:55

Were you around back then?
You do talk a load of twaddle.

cashman 18-12-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032855)
so why is he allowed to stand under the ukip banner:confused: i dont remember anybody from labour supporting hitler ideology

Why was there no labour people joined Mosleys Blackshirts?:confused:

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 19:01

different times, but if you go into oswalds blackshirts policies,they were anti semetic and racist but even they werent into aborting the disabled.

Save Remploy Factories Online Petition

jaysay 18-12-2012 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032850)
your back, welcome back:D

With a vengeance:D

cashman 18-12-2012 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032863)
different times, but if you go into oswalds blackshirts policies,they were anti semetic and racist but even they werent into aborting the disabled.

You brought Hitler into the conversation no-one else.:rolleyes:

jaysay 18-12-2012 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1032867)
You brought Hitler into the conversation no-one else.:rolleyes:

You can always tell when somebody is losing the argument when they start clutching at straws cashy :rolleyes:

Guinness 18-12-2012 19:10

Quote:

You just don't have a reasoned argument for any response anyone makes, you just jump around like a frog on acid posting uninformed comments bearing unrelated links with irrelevant arguments.

Wait....Ed Milliband...

Margaret Pilkington 18-12-2012 19:12

Quote:

they might have been, had the technology to diagnose before birth been available.

Wynonie Harris 18-12-2012 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032855)

No, but there have been instances of Labour politicians and leftwing fellow travellers supporting Soviet Union ideology...a regime every bit as repressive and murderous as the Nazis.

Tealeaf 18-12-2012 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1032859)
Why was there no labour people joined Mosleys Blackshirts?:confused:

Err....was not Sir Oswald Mosley (named, by the way, after a nasty little town just south-west of Accy) a member of the Labour Party in 1924? Was he not the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster in the 1929 Labour government? Then did he not leave Labour to found the New Party and then the Blackshirts (BUF)?

Eric 18-12-2012 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032880)
No, but there have been instances of Labour politicians and leftwing fellow travellers supporting Soviet Union ideology...a regime every bit as repressive and murderous as the Nazis.

Put a sociopath in power, surround him with sycophantic sadists, add a population exhausted by defeat, poverty, starvation, and overwhelmed by a feeling of hopelessness and you get a represive and murderous regime. It's no surprise that those on the right would be drawn to Hitler, and those on the left, to Stalin. I've no doubt they were unaware that both were insane. But there were differences between the two; some of them not so subtle. The Soviets wished to see Communism go global, mainly by sponsoring revolutionary movements ... Comintern, I believe it was called ... something like that anyway; I'm on a non google kick right now:D The Nazis, on the other hand, would do away with political subtleties and just go and take what they wanted, decimate populations, starve and work to death what was left, and usher in a tausend jahr dark age.

Tealeaf 18-12-2012 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1032908)
...... The Soviets wished to see Communism go global, mainly by sponsoring revolutionary movements ... Comintern, I believe it was called ... something like that anyway;

Well..possibly..bur surely this was the argument between Stalin and Trotsky and the debate between cementing revolution at home before the crackpot ideology can be exported?

Wynonie Harris 18-12-2012 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1032908)
Put a sociopath in power, surround him with sycophantic sadists, add a population exhausted by defeat, poverty, starvation, and overwhelmed by a feeling of hopelessness and you get a represive and murderous regime. It's no surprise that those on the right would be drawn to Hitler, and those on the left, to Stalin. I've no doubt they were unaware that both were insane. But there were differences between the two; some of them not so subtle. The Soviets wished to see Communism go global, mainly by sponsoring revolutionary movements ... Comintern, I believe it was called ... something like that anyway; I'm on a non google kick right now:D The Nazis, on the other hand, would do away with political subtleties and just go and take what they wanted, decimate populations, starve and work to death what was left, and usher in a tausend jahr dark age.

The Soviet Union was responsible for the deaths of millions in slave labour camps by "starving and working to death". As for "sponsoring revolutionary movements", is that what they did at the end of the war in Poland, Hungary, Rumania, East Germany etc?...seems to me they went and "took what they wanted" just like the Nazis. There is no moral difference between the Nazi system and the old Soviet system. They both dealt in repression and death to ordinary people.

cmonstanley 18-12-2012 21:57

sounds like the tory party to me:rolleyes:

jaysay 19-12-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1032919)
sounds like the tory party to me:rolleyes:

Did you actually attend University to become an idiot or did it just come naturally:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 19-12-2012 11:11

Don't be daft John, you need more than one o level to get to UNI...he took a part time course at Night school.

Eric 19-12-2012 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1032910)
Well..possibly..bur surely this was the argument between Stalin and Trotsky and the debate between cementing revolution at home before the crackpot ideology can be exported?

What type of ideology, other than crackpot, can one expect from a maniac? Anyway the debate was settled in the fall of 1940.

Eric 19-12-2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032917)
The Soviet Union was responsible for the deaths of millions in slave labour camps by "starving and working to death". As for "sponsoring revolutionary movements", is that what they did at the end of the war in Poland, Hungary, Rumania, East Germany etc?...seems to me they went and "took what they wanted" just like the Nazis. There is no moral difference between the Nazi system and the old Soviet system. They both dealt in repression and death to ordinary people.

I'm no apologist for Stalinism ... not an easy task for anyone, however, commited he is to socialism ... but in terms of degree, I do believe the Nazis were worse. Ok millions starved in the Ukraine during the soviet version of the agricultural revolution ... revisionist history, the mock trials, the Gulags etc etc. But after the war the Soviets did what the French would have liked to do in 1919, only to a greater degree. And Hungary? German allies and mass murderers of jews. Romania? German allies and mass murderers of jews. East Germans? Nazis, and murderers of anyone they could lay their hands on.

Many lay some of the blame for WWll on the 1939 non-aggression pact. But a reading of the history of the time reveals that if the Franco-British alliance had not been so anti-soviet, they could possibly have had the same alliance with Russia. However, the Russians did not start the war, and after they were invaded by the Germans, their commitment to victory over the Nazis was unreserved.

Tealeaf 19-12-2012 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033017)
What type of ideology, other than crackpot, can one expect from a maniac? Anyway the debate was settled in the fall of 1940.

What's this nonsense '..the fall of 1940'? You are not a Yank - you are a loyal subject of HM the Queen so be so good as to use her language. I assume you are referring to Autumn 1940. However, Trotsky got the ice pick in his head in august of that year and the last time I looked august was a summer month...unless, of course, it's different in Canada.

Eric 19-12-2012 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1033022)
What's this nonsense '..the fall of 1940'? You are not a Yank - you are a loyal subject of HM the Queen so be so good as to use her language. I assume you are referring to Autumn 1940. However, Trotsky got the ice pick in his head in august of that year and the last time I looked august was a summer month...unless, of course, it's different in Canada.

I've seen snow in August in Canada:D

Wynonie Harris 19-12-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033019)
I'm no apologist for Stalinism ... not an easy task for anyone, however, commited he is to socialism ... but in terms of degree, I do believe the Nazis were worse. Ok millions starved in the Ukraine during the soviet version of the agricultural revolution ... revisionist history, the mock trials, the Gulags etc etc. But after the war the Soviets did what the French would have liked to do in 1919, only to a greater degree. And Hungary? German allies and mass murderers of jews. Romania? German allies and mass murderers of jews. East Germans? Nazis, and murderers of anyone they could lay their hands on.

Many lay some of the blame for WWll on the 1939 non-aggression pact. But a reading of the history of the time reveals that if the Franco-British alliance had not been so anti-soviet, they could possibly have had the same alliance with Russia. However, the Russians did not start the war, and after they were invaded by the Germans, their commitment to victory over the Nazis was unreserved.

How could the Nazis be worse "in terms of degree"? I admit I don't have the figures to hand and figures can be manipulated, but I've read somewhere that the Soviet system was responsible for more deaths than the Nazis. Even if not true, I don't see how the Nazis were worse than the Soviets. As for the enslavement of Eastern Europe after the war, was Poland a German ally? I thought that's how we got involved because the Nazis invaded them? As for countries like Hungary being German allies, is the replacement of one evil, repressive system with another evil, repressive system progress? The Soviet Union was a brutal, murderous regime which unfortunately in the past has been romanticized by woolly-minded socialists in this country.

Tealeaf 19-12-2012 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033025)
...The Soviet Union was a brutal, murderous regime which unfortunately in the past has been romanticized by woolly-minded socialists in this country.

Aye, and don't forget China under yon mon Mao. Thirty million popped it simply because they'd nowt to put in the wok, thanks to his 'Great Leap Forward'. These days of course, the Chinese are more capitalist than the capitalists yet they still queue up to pay homage to his rotten corpse.

Boeing Guy 19-12-2012 17:45

Let us not forget what a workers paradise the USSR was..
A place were everyone was equal, but some where more equal than others.

The only decent export they ever had was Vodka. Heck even today that's all there is.
One of the advantages of my job is the fact it allows me to visit places off the tourist route, Kazakstan, interesting parts of Ukraine and places Far East of Moscow.
It may be over 20 years since the wall came down, but hese people still live in communist built housing, drive communist built cars on roads built by the communists. Things we take for granted like central heating, these tower blocks have central heating plumbed in from one plant in the centre of town, so everyone is either hot or if it is broken, more often than not, they are cold.
Seeing how poor te communist system was makes me glad I am a capitalist and I live in the UK.

Wynonie Harris 19-12-2012 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1033033)
Aye, and don't forget China under yon mon Mao. Thirty million popped it simply because they'd nowt to put in the wok, thanks to his 'Great Leap Forward'. These days of course, the Chinese are more capitalist than the capitalists yet they still queue up to pay homage to his rotten corpse.

I well remember plenty of half-wits walking around carrying The Thoughts of Chairman Mao in the late 60's...these were supposed to be intelligent, liberal-minded students. Sure. :rolleyes:

Eric 19-12-2012 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033025)
How could the Nazis be worse "in terms of degree"? I admit I don't have the figures to hand and figures can be manipulated, but I've read somewhere that the Soviet system was responsible for more deaths than the Nazis. Even if not true, I don't see how the Nazis were worse than the Soviets. As for the enslavement of Eastern Europe after the war, was Poland a German ally? I thought that's how we got involved because the Nazis invaded them? As for countries like Hungary being German allies, is the replacement of one evil, repressive system with another evil, repressive system progress? The Soviet Union was a brutal, murderous regime which unfortunately in the past has been romanticized by woolly-minded socialists in this country.

Poland's been the doormat of Eastern Europe for centuries ... and if you wish to mention figures (even manipulated ones;)) don't forget the millions of Nazi soldiers that the Soviets killed, one's that would have shown up for a day at the beach in '44 if they hadn't been too busy getting the you-know-what kicked out of them on the Eastern Front. (Might also be worthwhile to go deeper into ancient history and look at the provisions of Brest-Litovsk ... and those were imposed by the kinder, gentler, warm fuzzy Germans of the Kaiser's Reich.:rolleyes:) One doesn't have to like what the Russians did in Eastern Europe after the war, but it isn't hard to understand why they did it. After all, 30+ million dead and a devastated country would tend to pee off even the nicest guys, let alone Stalin, Beria and other associated genocidal maniacs.

Wynonie Harris 19-12-2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033060)
Poland's been the doormat of Eastern Europe for centuries ... and if you wish to mention figures (even manipulated ones;)) don't forget the millions of Nazi soldiers that the Soviets killed, one's that would have shown up for a day at the beach in '44 if they hadn't been too busy getting the you-know-what kicked out of them on the Eastern Front. (Might also be worthwhile to go deeper into ancient history and look at the provisions of Brest-Litovsk ... and those were imposed by the kinder, gentler, warm fuzzy Germans of the Kaiser's Reich.:rolleyes:) One doesn't have to like what the Russians did in Eastern Europe after the war, but it isn't hard to understand why they did it. After all, 30+ million dead and a devastated country would tend to pee off even the nicest guys, let alone Stalin, Beria and other associated genocidal maniacs.

So you're telling me that the Soviet empire somehow wasn't as evil as the Nazi regime? Well, sorry, Eric, can't accept that. They both killed millions of ordinary citizens indiscriminately and trampled over human rights. There have been quite a few Labour party members and trade unionists who have been apologists for the Soviet system in the past; to me they're no better than those who support the Nazis.

Eric 19-12-2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033063)
So you're telling me that the Soviet empire somehow wasn't as evil as the Nazi regime? Well, sorry, Eric, can't accept that. They both killed millions of ordinary citizens indiscriminately and trampled over human rights. There have been quite a few Labour party members and trade unionists who have been apologists for the Soviet system in the past; to me they're no better than those who support the Nazis.

Well if you can't accept it, that's fine. If I were looking for coverts to my opinions, even tho' I've given them lots of thought, I would probably look somewhere else:D But it's always fun to argue in a sane, civilized manner. I'm not giving up by the way. Feel free to continue;):D

Tealeaf 19-12-2012 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033060)
Poland's been the doormat of Eastern Europe for centuries ...

'Owd on Eric....The Poles were not exactly little innocent bunnies back in '38, were they? After Hitler grabbed his chunk of Czechoslovakia they had no hesitation in storming Gorma Orawa, Jaworzna and other bits of their southerly neighbour . And I won't even bother talking about Polish antisemitism in '39 and '45.

Wynonie Harris 19-12-2012 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033087)
Well if you can't accept it, that's fine. If I were looking for coverts to my opinions, even tho' I've given them lots of thought, I would probably look somewhere else:D But it's always fun to argue in a sane, civilized manner. I'm not giving up by the way. Feel free to continue;):D

Interesting article here, Eric. Seems the Soviet death count wasn't as high as first thought but a lot of their death toll was due to a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing as a result of their own evil ideology, not some kind of noble failed experiment or act of self-defence.

Seems to me there's not much to choose between 'em - death counts in the millions, many of them quite deliberate. A legacy of mass misery from both of these vile regimes!

Hitler vs. Stalin: Who Killed More? by Timothy Snyder | The New York Review of Books

Eric 20-12-2012 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033109)
Interesting article here, Eric. Seems the Soviet death count wasn't as high as first thought but a lot of their death toll was due to a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing as a result of their own evil ideology, not some kind of noble failed experiment or act of self-defence.

Seems to me there's not much to choose between 'em - death counts in the millions, many of them quite deliberate. A legacy of mass misery from both of these vile regimes!

Hitler vs. Stalin: Who Killed More? by Timothy Snyder | The New York Review of Books

Still counting, eh. Doesn't make any difference ... crunch numbers till all atomic motion ceases in Hades ... you can't change the fact that popular historical memory has voted. And the winner is :theband: Adolph and the Nazis. Uncle Joe, Beria etc. are fading into history, along with other ethnic cleansers such as the Turks and General Philip Sheridan. Hitler isn't.

And the point you seem to be trying to make ... let me see ... is is that some democratic socialists, or many of them, cozied up to Stalin:confused: ... isn't really all that important in terms of the British political scene in the 20th century. British democratic socialism has, in the main, always been more democratic than it has socialist. And no matter how much you try to argue that left-wing genocidal maniacs are as bad as, or worse than the nazis, you can't alter that fact.

Less 20-12-2012 14:46

Well, I hope Ukip get in and bring in the death penalty for thread wandering.

Wynonie Harris 20-12-2012 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033179)
Still counting, eh. Doesn't make any difference ... crunch numbers till all atomic motion ceases in Hades ... you can't change the fact that popular historical memory has voted. And the winner is :theband: Adolph and the Nazis. Uncle Joe, Beria etc. are fading into history, along with other ethnic cleansers such as the Turks and General Philip Sheridan. Hitler isn't.

And the point you seem to be trying to make ... let me see ... is is that some democratic socialists, or many of them, cozied up to Stalin:confused: ... isn't really all that important in terms of the British political scene in the 20th century. British democratic socialism has, in the main, always been more democratic than it has socialist. And no matter how much you try to argue that left-wing genocidal maniacs are as bad as, or worse than the nazis, you can't alter that fact.

What I'm saying is this...the Soviets, just like the Nazis, killed millions of people to satisfy their own perverted ideology, therefore there is NO moral difference between them. Whether people chose to remember the evil of Stalin and other Soviet leaders or to let them "fade into history" is irrelevant. That's a fact.

Therefore, for a Labour party politico to support the Soviets is just as morally reprehensible as a right wing politico expressing Nazi sympathies. So what I was saying to C'mon is, no, you don't get Labour types supporting Adolf, but you have had them flirting with Soviet communism even in its most extreme Stalinist form, which is just as bad.

Right, Less, send for the firing squad. For my last meal, could I have black pudding from that stall on Accy market with English mustard please? ;)

Less 20-12-2012 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033184)
Right, Less, send for the firing squad. For my last meal, could I have black pudding from that stall on Accy market with English mustard please? ;)

No English mustard for you comrade, a bit of French maybe, but if i'm in a really bad mood, your last meal before eternity will be ruined by that wimpy American rubbish.
Fear not however, you sly soul you won't be eating alone as I have given in to temptation and that makes me just as guilty.
Unless of course there is a chance of appealing to a higher order.

Eric 20-12-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033184)
What I'm saying is this...the Soviets, just like the Nazis, killed millions of people to satisfy their own perverted ideology, therefore there is NO moral difference between them. Whether people chose to remember the evil of Stalin and other Soviet leaders or to let them "fade into history" is irrelevant. That's a fact.

Therefore, for a Labour party politico to support the Soviets is just as morally reprehensible as a right wing politico expressing Nazi sympathies. So what I was saying to C'mon is, no, you don't get Labour types supporting Adolf, but you have had them flirting with Soviet communism even in its most extreme Stalinist form, which is just as bad.

Black puddings:alright: Hote kwiseen du Lancashire. One food I really miss ... right up there with steak and kidney pudding. Can't get 'em here. Closest thing is some Quebecois muck called boudin. But can get the real mustard .... Now, this is a wander; unless the UKIP has policies governing the manufacture and marketing of black puddings. Come to think of it, the EU probably has regs governing the black pudding ... these regs, no doubt, fill at least fifteen volumes, closely typed.:rolleyes: Hopefully, UKIP will, when they have power, move swiftly and decisively to streamline the regs, and clarify what it is that makes a true Black Pudding.:D

By the by ... what's your take on the Cambridge Four (or Five)?

Wynonie Harris 20-12-2012 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033207)
Black puddings:alright: Hote kwiseen du Lancashire. One food I really miss ... right up there with steak and kidney pudding. Can't get 'em here. Closest thing is some Quebecois muck called boudin. But can get the real mustard .... Now, this is a wander; unless the UKIP has policies governing the manufacture and marketing of black puddings. Come to think of it, the EU probably has regs governing the black pudding ... these regs, no doubt, fill at least fifteen volumes, closely typed.:rolleyes: Hopefully, UKIP will, when they have power, move swiftly and decisively to streamline the regs, and clarify what it is that makes a true Black Pudding.:D

By the by ... what's your take on the Cambridge Four (or Five)?

Eric, you wouldn't believe it, but they have fat-free black puddings now...they just don't taste the same somehow.

The Cambridge Five?...up against the wall with 'em (although admittedly it's a bit late now!). ;)

Less 20-12-2012 17:28

Surely we can airlift a few puds and s&k for the depraved suffering in the colonies?
Just donate £25 per week to my Swiss account and for every pound donated I'll say thank you.

Eric 20-12-2012 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1033210)
Surely we can airlift a few puds and s&k for the depraved suffering in the colonies?
Just donate £25 per week to my Swiss account and for every pound donated I'll say thank you.

Wouldn't it be easier if I just gave you all my banking info and my credit card number?:D

Less 20-12-2012 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033212)
Wouldn't it be easier if I just gave you all my banking info and my credit card number?:D

I like a challenge.

Seriously though...

Hang on while I calm down,

Me saying seriously?

How can we send you some heart ruining decent food?

Swap it for some moose.

Eric 20-12-2012 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1033208)
Eric, you wouldn't believe it, but they have fat-free black puddings now...they just don't taste the same somehow.

The Cambridge Five?...up against the wall with 'em (although admittedly it's a bit late now!). ;)

How do they do the fat free thing? Sawdust, food coloring, and tofu:confused: I'm getting fed up with all this lite, green, etc bs:mad: You buy lite beer and pay the same price for it:rolleyes: More actually, 'cause insted of a dozen you need fifteeen or sixteen to get the same buzz. I mean, one doesn't go to one's local dope dealer and ask for marijuana lite: "I want lots of leaf and lumber .... oh, and don't forget to throw in a bunch of seeds. None of that sticky bud stuff that smells like the ass end of a skunk. Oh, and I demand to pay the same price for it.":D

Does the UKIP have a policy on the adulteration of the traditional black pudding?

Wynonie Harris 20-12-2012 17:55

"I went for lunch in my university canteen to find that black pudding had suddenly become breakfast pudding and black coffee was renamed coffee without milk."

- Paul Nuttall, UKIP MEP.

Fortunately, they still call it black pudding on Accy market. Best to avoid the fat-free version, though...all those little lumps of fat add to the taste! ;)

Barrie Yates 21-12-2012 16:52

Fortunately, they still call it black pudding on Accy market. Best to avoid the fat-free version, though...all those little lumps of fat add to the taste! ;)[/QUOTE

I am sure you were always able to get "Fat" or "Thin" black puddings - the thin ones not having the visible lumps of fat in them - I was always preferred the "Fat" ones (black puddings that is), and still do.:)

davebtelford 26-12-2012 13:31

Nice bit of logic from Private Eye magazine - The Tories campaigned against the AV voting system in last year's referendum. If substantial numbers of Tory voters defect to UKIP they would probably have put Conservative as their second choice in an AV vote. As (probably) 3rd place in the poll the UKIP votes would have been re-distributed to the Tories giving them a better chance of beating Labour.

So the Tories shot themselves in the foot.

But under the first past the post system, switching from Conservative to UKIP is likely to promote Labour's chances.

I'm unsure what would be best to do!

cmonstanley 26-12-2012 13:40

1 Attachment(s)
you know it makes sense

jaysay 27-12-2012 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1033179)

For socialism read failure end of story, the only time socialism has ever worked is by the point of a gun, which no doubt in your mind is democracy;)

cmonstanley 29-12-2012 00:17

socialists did create the nhs. tories want to destroy it fact. maggie wanted to charge you to go to school lol

DaveinGermany 29-12-2012 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1034621)
maggie wanted to charge you to go to school lol

Aha, a lot becomes clearer now. ;)

cmonstanley 30-12-2012 10:42

somebody who comments on a thread supporting ukip and lives in germany :eek:;)

cashman 30-12-2012 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 1034820)

Why are comments not allowed?;)

Barrie Yates 30-12-2012 11:31

Quote:

So? He is a British Citizen, served his country - have you? and his posts are articulate and grammatically correct - for a scouser that is. I suggest you sort yourself out before criticising others.

cashman 30-12-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1034824)
So? He is a British Citizen, served his country - have you? and his posts are articulate and grammatically correct - for a scouser that is. I suggest you sort yourself out before criticising others.

Now be fair Barrie, he has sorted "US" out!!! by moving back oer the border, fair play to him.:D

DaveinGermany 30-12-2012 12:33

Quote:

Your point is ? Ever thought the state of the UK maybe the reason I presently reside here ? :rolleyes: I can only assume my subtle reference to your educational qualities (meant light-heartedly for comedic purposes) went straight over your rather fuzzy thinking labour filled head ?

NTS, C'mon doesn't cope with subtle, sledgehammer required in future. ;) :)

Incidentally, reading various reports UKIP are now looking at 15% of the collective conscience, seems they're showing the big boys their arses.

cmonstanley 30-12-2012 19:04

irony is lost:eek::p

Margaret Pilkington 30-12-2012 19:25

irony........? Course it was ;)

Barrie Yates 31-12-2012 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1034826)
Now be fair Barrie, he has sorted "US" out!!! by moving back oer the border, fair play to him.:D

Let us hope he votes for independence for Scotland:rolleyes:

cmonstanley 31-12-2012 19:05

thats like saying Norway hasnt any dodgy secrets Torment of the Abba star with a Nazi father | World news | The Observer