Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What Are They Going To Ban Next???? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-are-they-going-to-ban-next-6472.html)

staggeringman 20-11-2004 19:09

What Are They Going To Ban Next????

:drink: what is the government going to ban next? yes there are a lot of people out there who agree and a lot that dont.the do gooders have nearly got there way in banning a tradition that goes back to the egyptions.... HUNTING...something that has been the way of life for man since time began,today i picked up the paper and read that the vegitarians now want to ban fish and chips...can you believe it ...fish and chips what kind of pill...ks think these bans up, is there nowt better for people to do these days,they say that fish cod,haddock and so have feelings...what a load of cods..wallop if you where living off the sea and your child is hungary what would it be eat the fish are starve your kids? i know what my thoughts and doings would be.are the do gooders going to try and ban englands biggest sport...FISHING..either be course,game or sea fishing because thats where we are heading.

sarnie boy 20-11-2004 19:54

Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

its amazing that people can get what they want by money
and even sometimes without
it is a good point though what will they ban next
before you know it will be somat like basketweaving
'Needles have feelings so does wicker'

Mik Dickinson 20-11-2004 20:49

listen to the news the next step is smoking.I agree it is a bad health risk but what happenned to the choice of free will.Talk about big brother is watching you.

-pixie 20-11-2004 21:00

I fully agree with the smoking ban actually, at least in open public places. I hate walking down the street and breathing in someones second hand smoke. Or if I am standing at the bus stop and someone decides to fill the air with smoke. Their "free will" to smoke, pollutes my personal space.

Mik Dickinson 20-11-2004 21:02

I am a smoker and i agree with you too.The thing i disagree with is that someone is takinga descision out of my hands.It starts off with small things and then we have a police state.

WillowTheWhisp 20-11-2004 22:27

I wouldn't deny you your right to smoke Mik if that's what you want to do, but if you choose to smoke next to me and I have to breathe in your smoke you are denying me my right to breathe clean air.

I don't think it's a small thing at all when it affects other people. When it doesn't affect other people then I agree with you, it's no-one else's business but your own. But of course no-one has banned you from smoking in private where it doesn't affect others.

This should sort out the anomaly in the Arndale centre now where the "smoke free zone" is full of smoke wafting from the open cafe.

staggeringman 21-11-2004 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
listen to the news the next step is smoking.I agree it is a bad health risk but what happenned to the choice of free will.Talk about big brother is watching you.

mik once stopped some people from getting mugged,went to the police training centre and got a tour they knew what you where doin in 1984.

staggeringman 21-11-2004 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by -pixie
I fully agree with the smoking ban actually, at least in open public places. I hate walking down the street and breathing in someones second hand smoke. Or if I am standing at the bus stop and someone decides to fill the air with smoke. Their "free will" to smoke, pollutes my personal space.

pixie if people want to smoke they will!if people dont they wont!but do you not think that the government sending all these warnings out on packets of fags ex..ex..ex why dont they just ban tobbaco, easy... cause the people who smoke are paying for the treatment of those that dont!!!!!

staggeringman 21-11-2004 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnie boy
its amazing that people can get what they want by money
and even sometimes without
it is a good point though what will they ban next
before you know it will be somat like basketweaving
'Needles have feelings so does wicker'

sarnie boy can you imagine the gooddoers wireing up a tree and saying did you see that blip!!!!!!and the forest manager turning round and saying, dont cut that one down the tree felt it???????

staggeringman 21-11-2004 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I wouldn't deny you your right to smoke Mik if that's what you want to do, but if you choose to smoke next to me and I have to breathe in your smoke you are denying me my right to breathe clean air.

I don't think it's a small thing at all when it affects other people. When it doesn't affect other people then I agree with you, it's no-one else's business but your own. But of course no-one has banned you from smoking in private where it doesn't affect others.

This should sort out the anomaly in the Arndale centre now where the "smoke free zone" is full of smoke wafting from the open cafe.

willow would love to give up smoking but !!!!not as stronged willed as others, but do you not think that the people above should not only ban it . they should also practice it.....they will be sat in the houses of parliment in there big leather chairs whisky in one hand and a big fat cigar in the other.hopeing that the taxes the smokers pay will cover more abnormalitys up!!!!

staggeringman 21-11-2004 02:02

SORRY BY THE WAY I DO SMOKE AND IF IT WASNT FOR THE PEOPLE BEFORE ME I WOULDNT!:p

-pixie 21-11-2004 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggeringman
pixie if people want to smoke they will!if people dont they wont!but do you not think that the government sending all these warnings out on packets of fags ex..ex..ex why dont they just ban tobbaco, easy... cause the people who smoke are paying for the treatment of those that dont!!!!!

I am not trying to stop people from smoking if they choose to. However like Willow said, the moment that I have to breathe in your second hand smoke, you are taking away MY choice to breathe fresh air.

You are probably right that smokers are making a big contribution to the NHS in the amount of tax they pay on packet of fags. But someone has to pay for the cost of treating smoking related diseases don't they?;) Smokers are NOT paying for the treatment of those who choose not to smoke, saying that is just plain daft IMO.

janet 21-11-2004 08:11

I have to agree with pixie, i dont smoke either and can not do with breathing in smoke it turns my stomach, but do agree with freedom of choice if you want to smoke i dont have a problem with it as long as it's not around me.If any of my visitors want a fag then they have to go out in the back yard, because thats my choice.If everone give up smoking then this country would be in real debt.So it's a no win situation.

WillowTheWhisp 21-11-2004 08:44

I'm with Janet - no visitor to my house is permitted to smoke inside the house. If they choose to smoke that's fine but I choose not to have them smoke around me. If they want to do it then they must go elsewhere, preferably far enough away for the smoke not to drift back into the house.

I also hate it when I'm in a "smoke free" part of a restaurant and the smoke from elsewhere drifts across contaminating my food. Smokers probably have no idea how the smoke in the air affects the food because they are so used to it being there but it can actually make a non smoker physically sick. Why should we have to endure our meal being ruined?

All I ask is that smokers do it somewhere where it isn't going to affect non smokers. If I chose to go into a smoke filled environment that would be my problem. At times when I have spent an evening in a smoky atmosphere the smell longers on my clothes and my hair and actually follows me into my house. The sooner I can wash everything the better. But again a smoker just wouldn't understand that because their clothes etc are permanently contaminated by the smell of stale tobacco.

If I did something which affected others and made them feel ill I wouldn't consider that I had a right to do it in their presence.

Oh and yes I do think it's hypocritical of a government to ban something which they probably continue to practice themselves.

As for the smokers paying the health costs of the non smokers I would love to know statistically how much is spent on smoking realted health problems in comparison to non-smoking related. I know the government gets a lot of revenue from taxation on tobacco products but I don't think it goes towards paying for my very rare visits to the doctor.

Acrylic-bob 21-11-2004 09:05

A recent study by the university of York put the cost to the NHS of smoking at £1.7billion.
Duty on Tobacco in 1998-99 raised £8.9 billion for the exchequer. To this must be added the savings made because fewer smokers live past pensionable age.
(Source: BBC News)
It is also estimated that giving up smoking will eventually cost the NHS more, because the population will live longer and will require more expenditure in pensions, more provision of accommodation for the elderly and an increase in expenditure on age related health care.
As a smoker myself, I have no difficulty with people asserting their right to breathe fresh air and not to have to breathe in my smoke. I have always made it a point, when in company to ask if anyone objects to my smoking, to do so is merely good manners. However, I do not drive a car and I object most strongly to having to breathe in the exhaust fumes of other peoples cars as well as atmospheric pollution from a wide range of other sources beyond my control.
So while you non-smokers are smugly vilifying us smokers, perhaps you would like to consider our rights to breathe air free of carcinogens and brain damaging chemicals the next time you get in your cars. Perhaps you would like to consider walking rather than driving, after all walking is an excellent form of exercise. Perhaps that way we could reduce still further the drain on NHS resources.