Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Burn baby (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/burn-baby-65918.html)

Less 24-03-2014 18:50

Burn baby

Without quoting your long but valid posts #13 & #14, please don't think all men are insensitive, as you already know I have an attitude that is just a touch anti female, that does not mean that I or any other thinking man would force a woman to have to go to full term, or to have a termination unless she decides what is right for her.

Some of us will even support her afterwards when she starts having regrets, or whatever she may go through.

Eric 24-03-2014 19:08

Re: Burn baby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1099433)

I believe there is also a (bigger) issue of parents being lied to saying things like "remains are cremated",No mention of them heating hospitals from their incinerators.:eek:
Stop NHS 'burning babies' says Amanda Holden: Hospitals heated wards with fetal remains - parents thought they were cremated - Mirror Online

I read the link. One reason I did was to find out who Amanda Holden is. A goddam tv personality:eek: What next? Wayne Rooney's take on the ongoing crisis in the Ukraine? Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Less 24-03-2014 19:17

Burn baby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1099483)
I read the link. One reason I did was to find out who Amanda Holden is. A goddam tv personality:eek: What next? Wayne Rooney's take on the ongoing crisis in the Ukraine? Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Is she? Well I hope she has big boobs and a squeaky voice with a slight juvenile lisp, then I can disregard her completely.
(Blond hair optional, but if it's dyed she must appear on screen with at least a fortnights worth of natural colour showing at the roots).

accyman 24-03-2014 19:34

iv occassionally snogged girls round the back of the crematorium when i was younger because it was warmer

dont see any difference between using someones granny to heat up my lustfull evenings and burning medical waste to keep the ill warm

sounds worse when you say burning babies to heat hospitals but either way they are going to be burned one way or another and i doubt they are chucking 8 month developed still born babies in there just the what are classed as not developed fetus's that are legally deemed undeveloped and lawfully terminated

Margaret Pilkington 24-03-2014 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1099477)
Without quoting your long but valid posts #13 & #14, please don't think all men are insensitive, as you already know I have an attitude that is just a touch anti female, that does not mean that I or any other thinking man would force a woman to have to go to full term, or to have a termination unless she decides what is right for her.

Some of us will even support her afterwards when she starts having regrets, or whatever she may go through.

Less, nowhere have I made that suggestion....and yes not all men are the same. I wasn't referring to that as much as the insensitive way that this topic has been posted.

In my work I came across all shades of men(and I mean that in the emotional sense, not racist).
The men whose wives had to have termination of pregnancy for other than social reasons were often just as emotional as their wives.
And I agree that it is no-ones choice but that of the woman in question.

DtheP47 25-03-2014 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1099492)
I wasn't referring to that as much as the insensitive way that this topic has been posted.

Gotta agree Margaret not only the headline post on here from AccyX but the inflamatory attention grabbing headlines created by more than one newspaper.
I am sure the primary reason for using hospital incinerators was for disposal and not for heating purposes. I also think that grieving parents were/are given the opportunity to make their own arrangements as fits their religion and feelings.

AccyX you need to be a bit less selective in your reading matter.

oops just seen Neil has made similar points on disposal... I too need to be maybe a bit less selective.

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2014 09:24

It is a long long time since such material was incinerated at hospitals.
Many hospitals choose Clinical disposal units/ companies to deal with what is termed 'clinical waste'.

In our area, that would have been White Rose at Bolton. But for many years now, and as a result of much campaigning by myself and others on the steering committee, it has been the policy to deal with foetal remains and babies in a sensitive manner.

And you are right. Where parents wanted to do this for themselves, they were allowed to do so and given information to help them to do this. In Blackburn the Co-op Funeral Services were a mainstay for grieving parents.
Babies were cremated at no cost to the parents. If the parents wanted a burial then obviously that could not be done at no cost, but the Co-op made no profit on these funerals.

I am not sure if the Co-op still run this service as I have been retired now for 12 years.
I feel it would be very difficult(for the local hospital) to back pedal on the other sensitive arrangements for the disposal of babies remains.
I know the book of remembrance still exists. It is in the Spiritual Centre near C10 at RBH.

I spent many many hours doing the entries into this book and also provided parents with a copy of the entry, because I know there are times when the grief is so raw that you find it impossible to go and visit the book to look at the entry.

Accyexplorer 25-03-2014 11:46

This thread was (another) (half baked) 'insensitive', over reaction on my behalf :o

All the hospitals are doing is recouping some of the waste heat,rather than just sending it up the chimney.
Anyway I apologise again if my insensitivity has caused anyone any (unintended) misery.

Less 25-03-2014 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1099604)
This thread was (another) (half baked) 'insensitive', over reaction on my behalf :o

All the hospitals are doing is recouping some of the waste heat,rather than just sending it up the chimney.
Anyway I apologise again if my insensitivity has caused anyone any (unintended) misery.

As I have mentioned, all you have to do is think before you post, that way you won't have to apologise.
:)

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2014 12:03

Our local hospital does no incineration of clinical waste.

It was an ill conceived thread, but it was generated by sensationalist media hype.(remember that the media only want to sell papers and the celebs only want to be noticed and be in the public eye - it doesn't really matter to them what it is about)

It would be good if next time you are tempted to post along similar lines that perhaps you ask questions(e.g Have you ever had an experience like this?) and phrase your posts a bit more sensitively(ask yourself if you or a relative of yours were in this situation - how would you feel?)
However, it takes strength to come on here and admit your errors...and apologise.
Well done on that count.

Neil 25-03-2014 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1099576)
Gotta agree Margaret not only the headline post on here from AccyX but the inflamatory attention grabbing headlines created by more than one newspaper....

It's what newspapers do but they were only reporting on a Dispatches TV program due to air that night. I suspect the TV people wanted the newspapers to report it in the way they did to promote the TV program

Have you read the comments in the article from the link in the first post of this thread? Some are quite interesting and thought provoking?

Gremlin 25-03-2014 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1099490)
iv occassionally snogged girls round the back of the crematorium when i was younger because it was warmer

dont see any difference between using someones granny to heat up my lustfull evenings and burning medical waste to keep the ill warm

When I had a conducted tour back stage at Accrington Crematorium the attendant showed me the CCTV camera which is a permanent fixture focused on the very area where you did you dirty deeds.
He obviously didn't show me the film but told me they staff had some good fun watching the evenings performance.
There are a few more CCTV cameras around the place all motion activated and capable of night vision.
You never know, you could be on utube or a similar X rated web site.

Neil 25-03-2014 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1099650)
There are a few more CCTV cameras around the place all motion activated and capable of night vision.
You never know, you could be on utube or a similar X rated web site.

Did you have to , I am eating :D

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2014 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1099637)
It's what newspapers do but they were only reporting on a Dispatches TV program due to air that night. I suspect the TV people wanted the newspapers to report it in the way they did to promote the TV program

Have you read the comments in the article from the link in the first post of this thread? Some are quite interesting and thought provoking?

I could not get that link to work for me the other day...but for some strange reason now it does.

The comments show that may people believe what the newspaper article tells them....much as Accyexplorer did.
Having worked in this area(Womens Health) for more than 25 years my colleagues and I invested a lot of time and effort into getting things changed.
I know that not all trusts follow policies of good practice, but there is no reason that they shouldn't.

The topic of termination of pregnancy is emotive, contentious and polarises opinion.
Many people seem to think that a woman will terminate a pregnancy on a whim. This hasn't been my experience of how women deal with the issue.

kestrelx 25-03-2014 17:42

If they are being burned anyway what is the problem of utilizing the heat for a positive out come! It's not as if they are being deliberately killed for that purpose?