Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ukraine (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ukraine-66017.html)

Lucysgirl 24-04-2014 02:20

Re: Ukraine

Denmark, the Netherlands and the UK scrambled their fighter planes this week as Russian aircraft ventured further than usual into EU territory when they flew up to the Scottish coastline. Putin is definitely enjoying this game of cat and mouse. Would he have dared do that if Fylingdales was still operational?

Boeing Guy 24-04-2014 07:06

I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.
Flyfendales is part of the Balistic Missle Early Warning System, it's primary role is to detect incoming nuclear missiles and give a warning, so we can go kiss our a... goodbye.

Apparently the Russians were flying Tupolev 95s's (NATO code name Bear), a old propeller aircraft from the 1950's, not much of a match for our Typhoon's

DtheP47 24-04-2014 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1103784)
Apparently the Russians were flying Tupolev 95s's (NATO code name Bear), a old propeller aircraft from the 1950's, not much of a match for our Typhoon's

Not even a match for the Dutch F-16's they scrambled either BG.

U.K. Ministry of Defense in a statement. “The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so. Russian military flights have never entered UK sovereign airspace without authorization.”

Read more at Russian Bombers Buzz British, Dutch Airspace, Fighters Scramble To Chase Them Off

A quiet newsday I reckon.

Accyexplorer 24-04-2014 09:00

150 US troops in Poland up against the Russian border right now undertaking 'military exercises' with the Polish army. 450 further US troops arriving.
Black Horizon: Tensions rise in Ukraine as US soldiers arrive in Poland

(I think) We're (for a choice of better words) goosed if America provokes a war with Russia. We depend on Russia and we should be doing more to create peace between us and Russia, not following the Yanks and trying to start a ruddy war.
I can foresee a reality check coming soon as gas prices go up even higher and more of our vulnerable pensioners die.
Ukraine isn't even in the ruddy EU. It's nothing to do with us and EVEN LESS to do with the Yanks. It's ex-Soviet territory so let them sort it out between themselves :rolleyes:.

:hidewall:

cashman 24-04-2014 09:10

A war between America n Russia??? perhaps its you needs a reality Check?:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 24-04-2014 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1103792)
A war between America n Russia??? perhaps its you needs a reality Check?:rolleyes:

'Perhaps' your right C :D

Lucysgirl 24-04-2014 14:33

The main thing about Scotland is that it's where our North Sea wealth is, plus where we keep and maintain our nuclear submarines. Presumably Putin was having fun testing our reactions. One day somebody in the defence team is going to say "oh it's only the Ruskies having us on again" and will delay reaction times.

Putin has always let it be known that he wanted to resurrect the Soviet Union. The writing was on the wall for Ukraine when a majority of more than half of Ukrainians wanted their country to accede to the European Union, while only one third favoured joining a Moscow-led alliance

MargaretR 24-04-2014 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1103815)
a majority of more than half of Ukrainians wanted their country to accede to the European Union, while only one third favoured joining a Moscow-led alliance

Who convinced you of that ?

Have you confirmed it is true ?

Lucysgirl 24-04-2014 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1103816)
Who convinced you of that ?

Have you confirmed it is true ?

No I haven't visited the Ukraine to confirm the story. I believed the UK TV newsreels at the time. If I remember correctly, it was just after the vote that their President sherried off to Russia

Less 24-04-2014 15:14

Why don't we (NATO), America and Russia just get together and bomb the shist out of China?
We don't really need them to produce tat, we have proved over the years we can all produce our own, destroy them and start building our own sock manufacturing towns, then at last we can live in harmonious self inflicted debt.

MargaretR 24-04-2014 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1103817)
No I haven't visited the Ukraine to confirm the story. I believed the UK TV newsreels at the time. If I remember correctly, it was just after the vote that their President sherried off to Russia

I suggest you read this thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ies-48617.html

It may make you a little more sceptical

Lucysgirl 25-04-2014 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1103784)
I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.
Flyfendales is part of the Balistic Missle Early Warning System, it's primary role is to detect incoming nuclear missiles and give a warning, so we can go kiss our a... goodbye.

lol I've just seen images of the "bears" - I've never seen so many props stuck onto a dart before :-)

Lucysgirl 25-04-2014 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1103858)
I suggest you read this thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ies-48617.html

It may make you a little more sceptical

Thanks for the link to the debate about CNN newsreels.

Watching the CNN news isn't something I normally do - maybe I should try it - for a laugh

MargaretR 25-04-2014 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1103924)
Thanks for the link to the debate about CNN newsreels.

Watching the CNN news isn't something I normally do - maybe I should try it - for a laugh

You obviously didn't read much of the thread.
CNN aren't the only ones doing it.
In fact, I think we could be hard pressed to find a news broadcaster who doesn't deceive.!!

Lucysgirl 25-04-2014 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1103932)
You obviously didn't read much of the thread.
CNN aren't the only ones doing it.
In fact, I think we could be hard pressed to find a news broadcaster who doesn't deceive.!!

You're quite right - I skimmed through the four pages and didn't look at the full wiki article, nor chase other articles on other websites about the subject of false and/or lazy reporting.

My view on Ukraine is that ex KGB Putin wants to reassemble the Soviet Union and he'll probably outmanoeuvre "the West" whilst he's tricked us into looking the other way.