Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ukraine (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ukraine-66017.html)

Jim Procter 15-04-2014 14:59

Ukraine

I am very surprised that there has been no debate about the goings on in the Ukraine.We really do need to stand up to Russia over this, otherwise where will it all end?

cashman 15-04-2014 15:15

Re: Ukraine

Whilst it wouldn't shock me at all if Russias at the centre of this, i remain far from convinced.:eek:

accyman 15-04-2014 16:02

do they have oil and is there enough to go to war for ?

stillpaying £1.35 for diesil so obviously Iraqs oil wasnt worth fighting for..

im not saying we went to war for oil on the previous 2 occassions but it would be nice if in future government figured out the end cost before nodding its head and kissing americas arse

MargaretR 15-04-2014 16:39

I think the lack of comment here is due to people not being convinced by conflicting propaganda being spouted from opposing sides.

This scepticism is healthy sign that the population is aware that all governments lie - often!

The truth is seldom revealed so it is best to remain unbiased and indifferent and let them get on with all the spiel.
Unless you are there, you never know the truth.

kestrelx 15-04-2014 17:05

For starters it's a bit hypocritical that this Government in UK supports armed gangs rioting in the street - when if 5 people walked down the street in the UK with military outfits, shields and so on they would be apprehended immiediately by the Police. So why is it Ok for armed gangs to riot and destabilise a legit government?

Accyexplorer 15-04-2014 18:00

Nasty ruddy folk those Ukrainian 'freedom fighters'.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yhiX-1gkCQ

And all the while in Bahrain, 13 protesters have been jailed for life for protesting 13 Bahrainis, teens among them, get life sentences for protest ? RT News.....

....Not even a murmur from our corrupt/evil government.....hmmm :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 15-04-2014 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1102503)
I am very surprised that there has been no debate about the goings on in the Ukraine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1102506)
do they have oil and is there enough to go to war for ?

I think the reason for the disinterest Jim is due to the fact that it's a faraway place & doesn't seem to directly affect your average bloke on the street in UK. Not our problem Guv' plus fatigue with military intervention in another foreign land isn't high on anyones list especially the politicoes.

I'd say Accy mans assumption is pretty close to the mark to my mind.

cmonstanley 15-04-2014 18:17

there will be no proper sanctions, as most of london is owned by the russians . this is part of the reason why the working class are being pushed out of london pushing the prices through the roof . if i was in power i would have a surcharge tax on empty homes in london .

cashman 15-04-2014 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1102503)
I am very surprised that there has been no debate about the goings on in the Ukraine.We really do need to stand up to Russia over this, otherwise where will it all end?

The nation has already been conned by government oer standing up to people, once is a mistake any one can make, "TWICE" any "FOOL" can.:rolleyes:

Jim Procter 15-04-2014 22:08

Chamberlain said all these platitudes in 1938 and look where it got us.My solution would be to invite Ukraine to join the Common Market and NATO and call the Russians bluff. Because that is all it is .Bluff.

cashman 15-04-2014 22:11

Well jim if yer solution is fer them to join the E.U. most people i talk to want outa the damn thing, there probably better off in sodding Russia.:rolleyes:

Jim Procter 15-04-2014 22:25

The Russians tried to bluff the west in Cuba in the 1960s, but Kennedy stood up to them and they withdrew their missiles.We need to get tough with Putin and show him that we mean business.he will capitulate when he realises that the west stand together over his annexation plans.

DaveinGermany 16-04-2014 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1102563)
invite Ukraine to join the Common Market and NATO

I believe that was how this all started,

Margaret Pilkington 16-04-2014 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1102569)
The Russians tried to bluff the west in Cuba in the 1960s, but Kennedy stood up to them and they withdrew their missiles.We need to get tough with Putin and show him that we mean business.he will capitulate when he realises that the west stand together over his annexation plans.

The world was a vastly different place in the 1960's.
World War three would be something no-one wants to contemplate...and this situation in the Ukraine could be the start of something so big and nasty.
Russia hold the gas supplies to many of the european countries...all he has to do is turn it off.......and I do believe Putin would do it.

davebtelford 16-04-2014 09:51

I don't think Russia is all that interested in taking over Ukraine, they just want to ensure that ethnic Russians/Russian speakers living there are protected. All the posturing, embargoes, sabre rattling etc. by the USA & UK (get rid of Hague!) is pointless and dangerous. Let's stay out of it.