Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   General Election called (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/general-election-called-69108.html)

Margaret Pilkington 16-05-2017 06:17

Re: General Election called

I was crap at Maths...or sums as it was then, at school, but I could teach Diane Abbott a thing or two about adding up.

accyman 16-05-2017 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1194346)
I was crap at Maths...or sums as it was then, at school, but I could teach Diane Abbott a thing or two about adding up.

she would either wipe out the national debt with one quick sum or increase it by x10000

it could go either way with her

the new minimum wage woudl be £30 per week which is about as much as she is willing to pay the police per week lol

cashman 18-05-2017 11:57

With the fact the Conservative Manifesto says the U.K.will remain signatories to the E.U. Human Rights for the next parliament, mean we still CANNOT deport criminals unless the E.U. says so?:(

Barrie Yates 18-05-2017 19:30

Support our local industry? I find it amazing when I read the junk mail this week and found that our prospective Labour MP, who has a background in the printing industry, had his pamphlets printed in London. So perhaps all Labour candidates had their pamphlets printed by one company, who knows - nice order for someone. Wouldn't it have been nice to use local printers to print the 100 thousand or so leaflets required for his own constituency?

Margaret Pilkington 18-05-2017 20:21

Barrie, our representative does not care about local business.
He has forgotten his roots...he has flown with those who think they are the elite....he has become one of them, far more interested in sucking up to the party than thinking of what is best for our area and our local economy.

JCB 19-05-2017 13:28

I wonder whether I'll still get my Winter Fuel Allowance if Mother Theresa stays in Downing Street ?

cashman 19-05-2017 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1194532)
I wonder whether I'll still get my Winter Fuel Allowance if Mother Theresa stays in Downing Street ?

I was wondering the same seeing no clarity has been given on what they regard as well off pensioners.

Michael1954 19-05-2017 14:01

My mum was leaning towards the Tories until this issue of Winter Fuel Payments came up. Now she's undecided.

Rowlf 19-05-2017 14:52

It will probably be just the folk on benefits who get the fuel allowance like they get everything else. I wish I had not paid a full stamp all my working life as I would be much better off now with all the benefits I could have claimed instead of just having a full pension. When I say full pension that is not the new amount of £40 odd a week that's for those who paid in about 9 years less than I had to. The so called 'cold weather payment'
has only ever been paid to those on benefits. They must think it is not as cold for the rest of us pensioners.

Margaret Pilkington 19-05-2017 16:09

The loss of the fuel allowance is a price I am prepared to pay.(I do not consider myself well off, but it doesn't matter as much as having a government who will fight those charlatans in Brussels...I can always put another jumper on)
Especially when you look at the alternatives. It is like trying to decide if it is better to be shot or poisoned.

Less 19-05-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1194534)
My mum was leaning towards the Tories until this issue of Winter Fuel Payments came up. Now she's undecided.

She could always vote Tory and take up exercise, I believe shivering works off the odd calorie or two.

It is a bad thing though, are we going back to OAP'S dying of cold just because our local Labour M.P. doesn't give a stuff and therefore stops us voting sensibly?

accyman 19-05-2017 16:49

i have no problem with people living in spain not getting a winter fuel allowance or other warmer climate countries
i also have no problem with people above a certain income not getting the allowance

its supposed to be for people in need or vulnerable its not a god given right

Barrie Yates 19-05-2017 16:58

I could never understand why the Fuel Allowance is paid to SS living in Spain, Greece, Cyprus and other Mediterranean countries - even France. Although we received it when living there I did not think it was necessary even though we were in Brittany, didn't refuse it though. There are many other things that are paid now that we never had, yet we survived and raised our families. Worked every hour I could as an apprentice and did outside jobs, even in my early days in the RAF I would go beet hoeing or fruit picking (have you ever spent a full day picking gooseberries? - painful), to supplement my income - even labouring on a building site when not on shift. My wife also went out to work as soon as she was able.

Less 19-05-2017 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1194543)
I could never understand why the Fuel Allowance is paid to SS living in Spain, Greece, Cyprus and other Mediterranean countries - even France. Although we received it when living there I did not think it was necessary even though we were in Brittany, didn't refuse it though. There are many other things that are paid now that we never had, yet we survived and raised our families. Worked every hour I could as an apprentice and did outside jobs, even in my early days in the RAF I would go beet hoeing or fruit picking (have you ever spent a full day picking gooseberries? - painful), to supplement my income - even labouring on a building site when not on shift. My wife also went out to work as soon as she was able.

I hope you paid your taxes on these extra jobs...

...Of course you did.:D

Barrie Yates 19-05-2017 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1194541)
She could always vote Tory and take up exercise, I believe shivering works off the odd calorie or two.

It is a bad thing though, are we going back to OAP'S dying of cold just because our local Labour M.P. doesn't give a stuff and therefore stops us voting sensibly?

Come on Less, he has helped 9,000 constituents during his terms in office which is to be applauded - at first glance. Of course one should take that number and compare it against the number of constituents over the same period - which results in only a very small percentage