Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2005, 14:02   #16
God Member

Re: 7 Days in Prison for £53.71

Apparently she is being released early according to BBC News
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2005, 14:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

What do members think: Is Sylvia Hardy a heroine who is bravely standing up for downtrodden pensioners, or a silly, stubborn old woman who should pay up and shut up?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...799327,00.html
The simple fact is that this stupid 'owd trout has broken the law. If she could plead poverty, then possibly I would have some sympathy...but her basic state pension is topped up by her occupational pension so she's on two-seventy quid a week. Not bad, considering she has few neccessary outgoings other than the opera and several holidays a year. (I bet she does'nt go to Accy). So she ain't no downtrodden pensioner.

What does puzzle me is the use of the criminal, as against the civil law, in dealing with cases such as this. It should be a simple matter of sending round the bailiffs & recovering the neccessary assets...in fact, I can see no reason why it sstill can't be done. Would'nt it be nice to see the arrogant bint return from H.M.Prison to see her front door through & a chit from the lads acknowledging pocession of her colour TV and priceless record collection? Lovely stuff.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 15:09   #18
land of hope and glory

could have been a lot worse!what if she had been sent to blackpool for a week?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 15:45   #19
God Member

This lady had the balls to stand up for what she beleived in and if some thing came of it that benifited all the would we be so quick to condem her? No council could justify some of the rises in council tax especially when they are cutting back and out sourcing work its just a con. At most it should go up with inflation and if councils gave up their madcap ideas and used some fiscal commen sense people would be happy. How much are councilers average rise for their "wage"?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 18:51   #20
God Member

I was interested to read earlier today that Sylvia Hardy is complaining bitterly that her prison sentence has been ended earlier than intended because some good samaritan paid her arrears. Apparently the warders of the prison where she was confined are dismayed to learn that she intends to continue her protest by refusing to pay the current council tax demand in full. For the short time she was incarcerated she did nothing but complain; about the beds, the pillows, the food, the other inmates. Eventually it was felt necessary to explain to her that she was in prison, not a holiday camp.
Old 29-09-2005, 19:34   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I disagree with her being released. The prison sentance was for not paying. She did not pay so should do the time. Would the debt have been wiped out after the prison sentance? If so I don't agree with doing time instead of paying, she should still have had have to pay after.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 20:23   #22
I am Banned

as far as i know you still owe the money when you get out
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 21:31   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I disagree with her being released. The prison sentance was for not paying. She did not pay so should do the time. Would the debt have been wiped out after the prison sentance? If so I don't agree with doing time instead of paying, she should still have had have to pay after.
not to sure about that- once of a day if you got sent to prison for non-payment of fines the fine was quashed on release,if that still applies then debt should be cancelled.
Old 29-09-2005, 21:51   #24

She should pay up and shut up.If more people "paid up and shut up" we'd all have to pay alot less.The law is the law and it's people who break the law make the hard working people like me have to pay taxes to keep them in prison.Unfortunately these days the law abiding,hard workers are the victims due to the lazy bone idol scroungers and law breaking idiots.We have to pay for you scum.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 21:57   #25
Give, give, give member

If as a Republican, I decided to withhold the percentage of my taxes that get paid out via the civil list to the royal family, I wonder if my just imprisonment for breaking the law, would receive the same amount support from the press as this woman's has?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 23:46   #26
land of hope and glory

the stupid owd bat only got released because of her age and the papers/ television coverage let one of the young ones try it and see how long they have to serve?THE BLOODY COUNTRY IS A MESS SIMPLE!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 11:09   #27
Resident Waffler

Her release was nothing to do with her age. It was because somebody paid the bill and so the reason for imprisoning her no longer existed.

She didn't want to plead poverty because she isn't poor. She was taking a stand on behalf of others less able to do so.

Yes Chav the system we had before "Poll Tax" (Community Charge to give it the proper name) was the rates and every property had a rateable value which was part of the estate agents description when you went to buy a house. It would say "RV such and such" which gave a figure for calculating the rates payable (which depended on the council each year as to how much they needed to rake in in total).

The furore at the Community Charge was that it was levied per individual adult and so you got the situation where some households were paying two or three times what they'd paid under the old rates system.

So we then got Council Tax instead which is a kind of hybrid because it's based on a valuation done on the property (to band it A, B. C etc) but also gives a discount where there is only one adult living in the house.

I don't think the old rates system had a single adult discount so in some ways the Council Tax is possibly fairer but maybe it's time to have a rethink about a local income tax (though quite how it would be administered is beyond me) I think it was one of the altrnative suggestions put forth to oppose the "Poll Tax" but it failed in favour of the Council Tax which is easier to allocate and claim. (I think)

I'm not totally against the Council Tax personally, just think that perhaps it could be less if money wasn't wasted as it so often is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..