Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Isolation calendar. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/isolation-calendar-71070.html)

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 10:29

Isolation calendar.

Now, I am not sure if this will sink like a stone or not....let's just see shall we.

We are currently at Day 11 of a three week isolation.
I was thinking that if we were to do an Isilation Calendar....you know the sort of thing....a bit like and advent calendar....you open a door according to the day of isolation you are up to....and it would have a picture of an activity that you are currently unable to do.
Tell me what pictures would feature in your calendar. Better still....show me the picture.
I have done a blog along these lines if you was some example.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/b...-calendar.html
(Just looking for readers really):D

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 10:31

Re: Isolation calendar.

Oh, yes....I will give a nice chunk of Karma to those interesting ones.
Bribery and corruption works for me!

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 20:15

So I guess that's a 'NO' then!

Ryewolf90 03-04-2020 20:41

1 Attachment(s)
As it was a nice today I'd probably have been on the moors behind Pendle Hill looking for Lapwings or Curlews to photograph

Day: 11

dotti34 03-04-2020 21:01

That's a brilliant idea, Margaret. I am not in compulsory isolation but at my age advised to self-isolate which I am doing. One thing I would really like to do is that I would like to be able to physically hug my young granddaughters, but I am grateful that there is Face Time - so at the moment that is the next best thing, plus all the messages I get from them helps.
I am trying to think of what else but it is very early here yet and I haven't had my caffeine fix, although to be honest there isn't much I have missed that I have been unable to do as in my old age I have developed into a lazy old bu**** anyway.

Margaret Pilkington 03-04-2020 21:20

Thank you both for your input...Ryewolf...love the pic...nothing new there, you always bring us great pictures.

Dorothy, you are not a lazy old burger...you are just on 'energy saving mode'...and I feel sure you will think of more things that you would miss if you were on regulated isolation

taddy 04-04-2020 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238808)
Now, I am not sure if this will sink like a stone or not....let's just see shall we.

We are currently at Day 11 of a three week isolation.
I was thinking that if we were to do an Isilation Calendar....you know the sort of thing....a bit like and advent calendar....you open a door according to the day of isolation you are up to....and it would have a picture of an activity that you are currently unable to do.
Tell me what pictures would feature in your calendar. Better still....show me the picture.
I have done a blog along these lines if you was some example.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/b...-calendar.html
(Just looking for readers really):D

What a good idea, I started with one bottle of Hobgoblin on day one, two on day two,Three on day Three but by the time it got to day twelve my legs were starting to wobble a bit; Whether I can keep it up by day twenty one I don't know.
If not, I will at least have passed away Happy in isolation. now where is that new bottle opener ?
Stay hic, hic, sorry happy, Taddy, the Ludite

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2020 12:42

What ever gets you through Taddy...whatever gets you through!

DaveinGermany 04-04-2020 12:58

Not so bad for me, I'm still out & about working, off to VWs' top secret den in Wolfsburg Monday with some prototype parts.

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2020 13:53

You lucky Josser.....I have had one forty minute jaunt down Accrington....and believe me it was not an edifying experience.....I have seen more life in a pork chop.
Nothing much open, restrictions on what you can buy....that is IF there is anything on the shelves.

I was glad to get back home.

Ryewolf90 04-04-2020 16:26

1 Attachment(s)
Normally I would be visiting the ELR over the weekend

Day 12: Loco 6412 taking on water at Ramsbottom station during their steam gala in March

walker 04-04-2020 18:25

My picture would be of a path going over the moors. That's what I'am missing today a good walk over the moors.

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2020 18:44

I would imagine the moors are pretty isolated...well unless you count the sheep...so why can't you do that?
It is exercise. you are allowed to take exercise.
If you go in your own car by yourself(or with a family member) then you are contained...and no risk to anyone(well that is unless you had an accident and someone had to becalled out to rescue you - you have to think of the wider picture I guess)

I think it was Ryewolf who pointed out that many of these restrictions are guidelines...not laws.

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2020 18:49

My picture for today would be a wedding.....something joyful and uplifting...with cake and bubbly stuff out of green bottles...with disco lights, cheerful music with a good beat(even though I dance like a deaf baby hippo)

DaveinGermany 04-04-2020 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238838)
You lucky Josser.....

Indeed, normally driving round is pretty aggravating, queues, traffic jams, road works & masses of unnecessary traffic, at the present though ...... I'm enjoying what brought me into the job initially, open roads & no idiots ruining my day, even the local traffic plod seem more relaxed, a nod or wave in greeting as opposed to "pull over son, we'd like a word!" :)

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2020 21:40

So son, there is a silver lining....just stay safe....and your family too.

Stevie R 05-04-2020 00:04

1 Attachment(s)
Missing my brother`s house in Alicante,flights cancelled 24th of March.

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 08:57

Gutted for you Stevie.
Families are the really important thing right now.
I hope you are getting to talk to him...via Skype or Face Time.

I know it is not the same as being there, a poor second best.

DaveinGermany 05-04-2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238846)
So son, there is a silver lining....just stay safe....and your family too.

Same for you & yours Ma. :)

cashman 05-04-2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238843)
I would imagine the moors are pretty isolated...well unless you count the sheep...so why can't you do that?
It is exercise. you are allowed to take exercise.
If you go in your own car by yourself(or with a family member) then you are contained...and no risk to anyone(well that is unless you had an accident and someone had to becalled out to rescue you - you have to think of the wider picture I guess)

I think it was Ryewolf who pointed out that many of these restrictions are guidelines...not laws.

thing is to me with that theres too many morons,it proved that up the lakes the other week,?

DaveinGermany 05-04-2020 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1238847)
Missing my brother`s house in Alicante,flights cancelled 24th of March.

Can see why, looks really good does that Stevie. At least something to look forward to when all this nause is over. :)

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 12:06

While I like the pictures that are being posted...please don't be put off posting if you do not have a picture....all I want is for people to say what picture would be behind their door on day 13 of their own isolation calendar.
So mine for today is a 'Moving People' coach.
This fills me with anticipation of where it would be taking me....Durham would be favourite, but Liverpool would also be high on my list of days out....a picture of Spindleshanks has to feature somewhere , as he is a great companion.
I enjoy learning alongside of him....and we have a great time together getting into'supervised' mischief.

Ryewolf90 05-04-2020 18:45

1 Attachment(s)
Day 13 in Isolation: I like to alternate between the ELR and the KWVR, today I would probably have gone to Haworth to watch the steam trains followed by a pot of Yorkshire Tea in a local cafe.

A picture of Loco 5820 'Big Jim' during a steam gala last month.

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2020 21:35

That is definitely a 'boy' picture.
I can definitely appreciate the magnificence of the engineering that goes into one of these beasts, but in spite of that...it doesn't light my fire.
A very impressive shot Ryewolf.

Ryewolf90 05-04-2020 22:08

Thanks Margaret, you'd be surprised on how many 'girls' I see watching/photographing the trains though....

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 06:05

Yes and I bet some are 'old girls' too....the ones who perhaps remember going on these trains....re-igniting memories of holidays and honeymoons.

dotti34 06-04-2020 07:08

I'm definitely one of those 'old girls', Margaret, who can remember going on those trains. Lots of memories there. Catching the last train home meant I could stay until the last dance had been danced. When I was a much younger girl I used to go with friends, hang over bridges, and write down the numbers of the 'namers'.
Also I remember if you leant out of the train window you often got a spark in your eye....and it hurt...but we still did it.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 07:54

Yes and the smell of the trains ....burning coal, smoke steam, hot metal....all evoke memories.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 07:57

Today my picture for the 14th day would be something that indicated a satisfying shopping expedition.....not necessarily to spend, but to browse, to touch, to feel.
To look at books...new books, second hand books....so,perhaps today would be a picture of the British Heart Foundation shop.

MITZY 06-04-2020 08:56

Mine would be a picture of my latest great grand son born during lockdown so have yet to give him a cuddle.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 09:00

That's a really nice one...congratulations Mitzy.
The time will come....and I know that being patient is hard...but it is something to look forward to.

Hill Walker 06-04-2020 10:12

Sorry I cannot do a picture for reasons that will become obvious. In fact this post should probably not be here as its the opposite of what was requested. I do have a picture but its a mental picture being forced to the fore by the recurrent use of the word ‘isolation’. Its a picture of a hospital ward from when I was very young and had Scarlett Fever. In those days there were Isolation Hospitals where you were sent if you had highly infectious diseases.
Visitors were not allowed onto the wards but were permitted to look in through the windows. Young as I was this seemed like a stupid arrangement as you were in bed facing into the ward and could only see the visitors of the person in the bed opposite. Being a small child in a full size bed I was a bit of an escape artist and caused all sorts of problems for the staff eventually needing to be restrained at visiting times. (Much delayed apologies to the staff!)
One thing happened during this period which is still with me to this day. Prior to this illness I liked dogs and had no fear of them. For some reason a dog, which I remember as probably an Alsatian and described as ‘the Matron’s dog’ was allowed on the ward. If it was near your bed and you put your hand out it would walk past and in doing so got stroked from head to tail. However near the end of my stay when I was allowed out of bed I tried to do the same sort of stroke whilst standing near the bed. This went wrong as the vigorous wagging of the dog’s tail sent me flying across the highly polished floor and I banged my head on something. Ok I know its a bit irrational but I am still a bit wary of dogs to this day.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 11:22

You do not need to post a picture
all you need to do is tell us the picture that would be behind your door for this day of lockdown.
Your word picture does it for me Hill Walker...I have a very visual imagination and I can see it all.
I wonder if your isolation was at Park Lee hospital,because many children remeber it in the way you describe it,
How very scary for a little boy

Hill Walker 06-04-2020 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1238886)
I wonder if your isolation was at Park Lee hospital,because many children remeber it in the way you describe it,
How very scary for a little boy

No, my parents were living in N Wales at the time, the hospital was a few miles up the Conwy Valley. Last time I went past, several years ago, it had been converted into an old folks home with the only other property in sight a pub. Possibly a good place to end one's days.

Margaret Pilkington 06-04-2020 12:12

What a lovely place to grow up...Conwy....love the place.

Ryewolf90 06-04-2020 19:12

1 Attachment(s)
Day 14 of Isolation: Normally on a nice day like today I would have gone to Spring Wood near Whalley and watched the birds.

A Starling taken today in the grounds of Christchurch Church

dotti34 07-04-2020 07:50

My young granddaughters each have a birthday this week (their 10th and 13th respectively) and I'm not able to kiss and hug them which I wish I could do, but thanks to modern technology I have been able to see them, and talk to them. So at least that is something.

I also miss being able to visit my friend for a coffee - and vice versa, but we make up for it by chatting on the phone. Not quite the same though.

I miss being able to hop onto public transport when necessary - could still do it but wouldn't take the risk.

So although I am feeling okay being self-isolated there are some things I am missing, and probably will miss more things as time goes on.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 08:07

I am missing having my education broadened by Spindlshanks.(he is a mine of interesting information....look up Quarks, up quarks, down quarks and strange quarks...that will give you a flavour)
Yes we could do it over facetime but it is not the same...and I miss his very dry sense of humour...he 'gets' irony.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2020 21:37

It is looking like we will be looking to extend this Isolation Calendar.....for....ooh, let me see....another three weeks is my guess.
So we are going to be needing to think of more things to put behind the doors.

And it might not be letters.
Yesterday our postman told us that no letters were delivered yesterday...only parcels...the vans are now single manned(that makes sense)
No guaranteed next day delivery and very soon post may only be picked up from postboxes on alternate days.
Sorry for the thread wander.

Hill Walker 07-04-2020 21:54

I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be a good thing to put on the CV of anyone planning to apply to NASA as one of the new astronauts for the Mars mission - 'Survived Covid-19 isolation'

Ryewolf90 07-04-2020 23:59

1 Attachment(s)
Day 15 of Isolation: Again another day I would have been bird watching...

A Blue Tit I photographed in March.

dotti34 08-04-2020 00:28

This thread has definitely got people thinking about what they would normally take for granted in the 'outside world', and it's often the little things in life that we miss most when we can't have them.

However, as frustrating as it is, and it might seem like an imposition having to stay indoors for a while, but if this is the way to beat the virus then so be it. Better to ‘lose’ a few weeks of your life than to actually lose your life, or contribute to someone else losing theirs....or at the very least catching the bug and suffering because of it. Nobody wants that.

Just think how much your 'freedom' will be appreciated once doors are opened wide again. I don't think we will be taking things for granted once everyone is out and about. When that happens we should all go and hug a tree....

Margaret Pilkington 08-04-2020 09:25

I get all that Dorothy... I really do...but and this is going to sound a bit conspiracy like.
Whe you mention how much we will enjoy reinstated freedoms, I worry about what freedoms will be returned.
When a population gently hand over their freedoms with hardly a peep, governments feel emboldened.
Despots use force to imprison...governments use stealth and guilt.

Also you only have freedoms if you are solvent....can make a living.
This lockdown will remove from many the ability to be employed, the ability to own the place they live in(I can see a whole raft of mortgage repossessions because people cannot pay the mortgage...well unless there is legislation to prevent this)

I have thought right from the outset that this was a reactive move rather than a proactive one.....and because other countries were doing this then we should do it too.

I also know that being wise after the event is easy.
I never meant this thread to become 'heavy' and here I am....the originator.....and I am the one introducing the 'heavy'....and for that I apologise.
My aim was to get people to be a little bit distracted from the difficulties of life right now.
Also to get them to focus on the things in their lives which matter.
Dorothy....you have done that....got them to see that health and family are riches you do not need the banks or coins to possess.....an indomitable spirit and a sense of humour and perspective are also essential that you cannot buy barter or trade.

Sorry for this post.

Now Day 16....I Miss M&S white farmhouse bread.
My breakfast toast this morning was some other bit of cardboard that was masquerading as bread...it was neither pleasant nor sustaining.
I will now take my political grumbly self off for a period of 'OM' to see if I can re-balance.

dotti34 08-04-2020 09:58

You are right, Margaret. It's going to take a long time to get back to any sort of normality, if ever we do. It will certainly change lives. (Sorry, I'm sounding a bit 'heavy' now). By the way, over here there was talk about banks holding off on mortgage repayments for 6 months where necessary, I'm not sure if that is what is happening though.

Margaret, you have certainly got a great thread going and got people thinking about what is important to them, and what they would like to be able to do that they can't at the present time. It's interesting to read the postings and it would be great to hear more from members on this.

Margaret Pilkington 08-04-2020 10:32

The banks were asked to give their mortgage customers a three month payment break to help them over this difficult time.
I am not sure how many are actually doing this...or whether they are making the red tape difficult to access this...but even if that is done, a three month break will not be helpful to those who, through the lockdown will have no job to go back to....so it is inevitable that there are going to be reposessions(unless, that is, the government do something to stop this...not quite sure what).

Life is never going to be the same again.
China has trashed the economies of most of the major countries in the western world and is set(because of the way its politics run) to be calling the tune that we all dance to.
This is not a palatable thought, neither is it fiction.

We are generating a huge debt that is going to take generations to pay off...well unless all the affected countries decide it is in their mutual interests to waive these debts.
It is still going to cost in human terms and I think in the heat of the current crisis(man made) this has not been considered by many.

Margaret Pilkington 08-04-2020 11:03

Ryewoldf, I love the picture of the Blue tit.Thank you for bringing the outdoors in for us.

dotti34 08-04-2020 12:38

Something that I am really going to miss this year is this. There are a group of us (7) who celebrate our birthdays enjoying lunch at one of the hotels or restaurants in the area. The first of the birthdays is in April and the last for the year is in July. Now that all the places are closed we have had to rethink what to do.

The first suggestion was that we have a picnic in a park...but although the number allowed to congregate in public in South Australia is 10 we would still have to have the social distancing between each of us which wouldn't make for a very congenial outing. We would be sort of stretched across the park - and as a couple are slightly hard of hearing we would have to shout to each other.

The next suggestion was that we all stand in our front gardens and at a specified time we sing 'Happy Birthday To You'. As there is a fair distance between each of our houses if anyone saw an old girl standing in her garden and singing HBTY apparently to no-one in particular then I think the men in the white coats would be on their way to collect. I think maybe self-isolation is affecting whoever suggested this.

So it looks like we will definitely be missing out on the lunches this year. Hopefully we will make up for it next year.

cashman 08-04-2020 13:12

hey dotti keep batting is the only way take care,x

Margaret Pilkington 08-04-2020 14:25

Oh Dorothy....thank you for that.
I have the picture in my mind of you all having a picnic in the park....throwing sandwiches and it's to each othe for social distancing reasons.
Now as we get older our eyesight gets a bit iffy and the aim get worse.....so I could see egg mayo encrusted blue rinses.....black eyes from pork pies.....you get the picture.
It really tickled my chuckle muscle.

dotti34 08-04-2020 22:42

...and the wine might get sloshed around a bit as we try to click glasses over the spaces.

Ryewolf90 08-04-2020 23:50

3 Attachment(s)
Day 16: Today would have been a perfect day to go to Formby and watch the Red Squirrels

Alas no Red ones in Accrington but a couple of images of a Grey Squirrel in Oak Hill Park taken today...

cashman 09-04-2020 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1238993)
Day 16: Today would have been a perfect day to go to Formby and watch the Red Squirrels

Alas no Red ones in Accrington but a couple of images of a Grey Squirrel in Oak Hill Park taken today...

when i lived on Bamford Crescent, there was reds uns, they used to come and look in the conservatory windows, but that was late 80s.

Margaret Pilkington 09-04-2020 13:16

I have only seen Red squirrels on the Isle of Wight.

Ryewolf90 09-04-2020 22:33

1 Attachment(s)
Day 17: This time of year I would normally start to get my macro lens out for bug hunting season, but seems like all the bugs were staying at home... So this tree blossom from today will have to do....

Margaret Pilkington 10-04-2020 07:33

Ryewolf, you know my feelings on bugs....they are fascinating,but not what you could call'beautiful.....but this blossom IS beautiful.....and I like the way you have turned it into a triptych.....I make cards to look like this...very lovely.

Ryewolf90 10-04-2020 21:07

Thanks Margaret, a few years back Google had a set of creative tools that were free to download called Nik Efex; which consisted of Nik Colour Efex, Nik HDR Efrex, Nik Silver Efex and Nik Analog Efex.

This image was created using Nik Analog Efex, in the original image the blossom (of a tree) was actually white and I used the following combined camera effects: Double Exposure, Light Leaks (which created the pinky colour) and Multi Lens which produced the triptych...

Butterflies are quite beautiful, but I know what you mean... I find bugs fascinating because there's this whole microcosm that most people just don't see. I often get asked what I'm looking for when I'm out peering into bushes, plants, under leaves, rocks and wood....

Ryewolf90 10-04-2020 21:22

1 Attachment(s)
Day 18: Today I would have been out at the ELR watching Loco 70000 Britannia

Loco 752 is a Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) Class 23 0-6-0ST and was built in 1881. After Grouping in 1923 the locomotive was re-numbered 11456 by the LMS. In 1937 it was sold to the Blainscough Colliery Co of Coppull in Lancashire. It's currently numbered 51456 in British Railways livery, which would have been it's number had it not been sold to industry.

Margaret Pilkington 11-04-2020 07:34

Thank you for that explanation Ryewolf....however you did it...I like it.
And yes, I like butterflies.
The bug thing is probably because I had five brothers who used to torment me with beetle bugs and things wit many more legs than I have.
I can totally understand your fascination, but my uncertainty about bugs is far too ingrained to eradicate now.

Margaret Pilkington 11-04-2020 07:40

1 Attachment(s)
Day 19.....this is to thank those key workers everywhere....whether they be NHS, or Home Carers, HGV drivers, shelf fillers, till operators.....binmen....all those people who are keeping the country fed, watered and cared for.
This is for you with my heartfelt thanks.

Margaret Pilkington 11-04-2020 07:44

1 Attachment(s)
Last night, one of the residents in our street did an impromptu gig.
He set up his gear and did half an hour of cheery pop songs.
We came out of our houses, stood in our gardens...or sat on our garden wall....keeping social distancing rules....glasses on wine, bottles of beer in hand and had half an hour of singalong, clapping, cheering and whistling.
It was a really happy event and lifted our spirits.

Ryewolf90 11-04-2020 18:18

1 Attachment(s)
Day 19: Another day when I would have been at the ELR watching the trains. So another loco taken during their steam gala in March.

44871 is an LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 locomotive, originally numbered 4871 by the LMS. It was built at Crewe in 1945 and withdrawn from service in August 1968.

monkey hanger 12-04-2020 09:28

is it only just day 19. seems to be much more to me. keep up the railway stuff. living a left handed stones throw from the keighley and worth valley line i,m missing em already. lucky they got the spring steam festival event in as easter is a big money spinner for them.

Margaret Pilkington 12-04-2020 09:53

Let's celebrate all our Key workers
Let's thank them for what they're doing,
We really can't thank them enough
For keeping this great country going.
From the wonderful HGV drivers
Delivering goods to the store
They're surely working their socks off.
They really could not do more.
Let's thank the hard working carers.
They are worth their weight in gold.
And it shouldn't have taken this crisis,
Before we let them be told.
We mustn't forget the shop workers
The ones who man all the tills.
The shelf fillers, the bakers,the cleaners....
Let's clap for those Jacks and the Jills.
Let's thank all the doctors and nurses.....
ALL those in the great NHS
All we can do is say Thank you....
Stay sane, stay safe and God Bless.

Easter Sunday....and that bit of doggerel goes behind my day 20 door.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Easter Day.....or at least as happy as circumstances allow.
Chocolate might not cure things, but it takes your mind off the discomfort

Margaret Pilkington 13-04-2020 09:58

1 Attachment(s)
day 21.....and this picture says it all really.

still in lockdown...and likely to be so for another three weeks.
This picture was taken on a very happy jaunt to Liverpool.

Ryewolf90 13-04-2020 18:29

1 Attachment(s)
Day 20: Probably would have been a good day to go up Earl Crag near Cowling

Margaret Pilkington 13-04-2020 19:15

The views look beautiful....that is definitely food for the soul.

Ryewolf90 13-04-2020 20:06

Thanks Margaret, they are stunning, you can see Pendle hill and the best thing is there's a car park bout 800 yards away. The tower is called Wainman's Pinnacle at the other end is Lund's Tower, together they are known locally as the salt and pepper pots because of their shape.

Margaret Pilkington 13-04-2020 21:12

I have never seen them before...so all that is new to me

Ryewolf90 13-04-2020 22:11

I only found out about them because I saw them as I was driving to Ilkley to see the Cow and Calf Rocks on Ilkley Moor. Earl Crag is on the main road from Colne to Keighley, so one day, a few years back, I decided to go and visit them. The road that takes you to the Crag is called Dick Lane, which made me smile....

Margaret Pilkington 14-04-2020 17:56

Day 22....I would have a pile of novels behind this door.
I am an avid reader and cannot settle to sleep unless I have a good read.
Now I am getting down on my books
I found a carrier bag of books in the bottom of the wardrobe...foolishly I thought I had maybe stashed them away to be tidy(who am I kidding here?)
Having gone through them....some of them I have read....and some of them I have stashed away because they did not appeal.

Ryewolf90 14-04-2020 18:39

3 Attachment(s)
Day 21: Perfect weather for bug hunting, sunny and no wind....

1. A very angry looking earwig
2. Alder Leaf Beetle
3. Common Green Shield Bug

Taken on the path to Platts Lodge

Ryewolf90 15-04-2020 14:49

2 Attachment(s)
Day 22: Another perfect day for bug hunting

Ryewolf90 15-04-2020 19:38

2 Attachment(s)
Day 23: Another nice day, perfect for bird watching at Spring Wood Picnic Site near Whalley (apparently the car park has been cordoned off) with some sandwiches and a flask of tea....

So here are a couple of Blue Tits I photographed just before the lockdown...

Margaret Pilkington 16-04-2020 09:05

I was going to put a sprouted potato behind my door yesterday...we have not bought anything other than what we will eat in a week.
I bought a bag of wonky potatoes and was down to the last few....these were so wonky that I had to cut great chunks out of them because they were dinged and bruised.
In the end there was not enough for the evening mash....so I rummaged in the veg box praying to find just one more spud.
There it was at the back of the box......but, unusable because it had really sprouted.
So he had the mash with his steak and mushroom pie....and I didn't.

Today behind my door is sacrifice.
And my sacrifice of the mash is nothing like that of the key workers.

Ryewolf90 16-04-2020 21:29

1 Attachment(s)
Day 24: To be honest anything that would relieve the monotony would be my image.... Heard all this shouting, then sirens, looked out the front door and saw this. Other than going to the launderette it's been the most exciting thing to happen all day.

Margaret Pilkington 16-04-2020 21:36

Things are serious when a trip to the launderette is considered exciting.
Though to be truthful watching the washing go round would be preferable to some of the stuff that is on TV right now.

dotti34 17-04-2020 01:27

I went out yesterday as I had some business to do. This was only the 4th time in a self-isolating period of some 4 weeks as I am doing the ‘right thing’ because of my age. While I was out I went to one of the bigger shops as I needed a couple of things. This was the first time I had actually been in a supermarket in those four weeks.

I did not enjoy that ‘excursion’ at all. I dislike shopping at the best of times but walking round the shop with a lot of zombies is not my idea of fun. That’s what it seemed like – not that I have ever been in the company of zombies before of course. No-one smiled (sadly that’s not unusual even in better times) and everyone walked at a slow and steady pace with fixed looks on their faces – dead-pan looks. No-one spoke. No-one smiled. Okay – maybe it isn’t such a happy time but surely it wouldn’t hurt to exercise the zygomaticus major muscle now and then (of course everyone knows that’s what it’s called – the muscle that makes us smile – thanks Safari, where would I be without you). Maybe even a bit of laughter thrown in wouldn’t hurt.

There were plenty of goods on the shelves, no need for despair there, but it was all quite depressing. Have to say I was very happy to get home again. I think I might be turning into a hermit by choice. At least at home I can look in the mirror and laugh at what I see there…albeit hysterically.

Ryewolf90 17-04-2020 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239222)
Things are serious when a trip to the launderette is considered exciting.
Though to be truthful watching the washing go round would be preferable to some of the stuff that is on TV right now.

You can't even sit in the launderette and watch your washing or anyone elses for that matter you have to go home or sit in your car....

Ryewolf90 17-04-2020 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1239223)
No-one smiled (sadly that’s not unusual even in better times) and everyone walked at a slow and steady pace with fixed looks on their faces – dead-pan looks. No-one spoke. No-one smiled.

I found that most people are talking to each other because they've lost their usual means of chatting to people. Yes the shuffling along, in a queue to get to the shops is pretty weird, I talk to people because it might be the only other person they talk to that day. And we're all in the same boat.... So the next time you're queuing to get in the supermarket talk to the person around you, it might be the only person they've spoken to in days.

cashman 17-04-2020 07:37

everyone speaks when we take freddie for his walk, most of em ive never seen before so aint bad at all here.

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2020 08:45

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

Today I thought that this would be the ideal thing to have behind the door.
Except today there are probably 357 channels, but there is still NOTHING ON!

monarchylosis 17-04-2020 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1239225)
You can't even sit in the launderette and watch your washing or anyone elses for that matter you have to go home or sit in your car....

Nice thing to try but launderette here in my local was all closed. :D

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2020 13:06

apparently, it is OK to drive somewhere to enjoy a country walk...so there you are Hill Walker...you CAN enjoy a moorland walk....it is NOT illegal, it is permitted and it is probably a lot safer than going to the supermarket.

Likewise Ryewolf...if you want to go somewhere on a country walk...and take your camera...you can do that too...so these pleasures are not denied you...and they migh just make this isolation a bit more bearable.
They will certainly make it more pleasant for us because we get to see what you captured with your camera.

Hill Walker 17-04-2020 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239255)
apparently, it is OK to drive somewhere to enjoy a country walk...so there you are Hill Walker...you CAN enjoy a moorland walk....it is NOT illegal, it is permitted and it is probably a lot safer than going to the supermarket.

You are quite correct for England. Unfortunatly I'm in Wales where the restrictions are somewhat different. They are regulations not recommendations and do have the force of law. See:-

https://gov.wales/staying-home-and-away-others-guidance

Additionally I'm in the National Park which is closed and all off-road access is currently prohibited to the general public. The lunacy which I referred to was when just before the lockdown started, more people decended on various mountains and beaches in North and Mid Wales than had ever been seen on a single day before. They not only disobeyed what was at the time good advice but blocked many roads (with illegal parking) in a way that would have prevented access by emergency services had they been needed.

One twerp who had to be rescued from a mountain even asked his rescuers "where can I go tomorrow to take photos?'!!!!" see the 2nd incident report:-

https://ogwen-rescue.org.uk/incident-details/

I'm sure it was this sort of behaviour that caused Cardiff to introduce a stricter situation than London.

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2020 14:59

Oh, that's a shame....I could just see youstriding over the Yorkshire moors.....with sheep looking balefully on.

In truth, I had not realised that the regulations in Wales were different.

Thank you for the links...they were enlightening.

We will both have to rely on Ryewolf then with his pictures of the outdoors.

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2020 15:03

I had not heard of the Ogden Valley...I had to look it up.
The pictures I have looked at are very beautiful.
I can see why you miss your walks.

Hill Walker 17-04-2020 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239261)
Oh, that's a shame....I could just see youstriding over the Yorkshire moors.....with sheep looking balefully on.

In truth, I had not realised that the regulations in Wales were different.

Thank you for the links...they were enlightening.

We will both have to rely on Ryewolf then with his pictures of the outdoors.

No problem. Have a look at the video which I think was taken from a SNP warden's van and contemplate what the situation would be for a fire engine or ambulance trying to get through that lot and thats not the worst example that we saw that weekend. Remember also that for quite a few places in NW you are 45-60 minutes away from the nearest hospital and thats with blue lights and no traffic problems.

https://twitter.com/visitsnowdonia/s...32182394851328

All the cars on the right are illegally parked.

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2020 16:43

Yes I have spent time in Snowdonia .....Llyn Padarn, Llanberis pass, so I know there are some very isolated places...places that are very difficult for rescue vehicles to get to.

Ryewolf90 17-04-2020 21:15

2 Attachment(s)
Day 25: A bit of history

1. Stanhill Hall
2. Old Stanhill Post Office where James Hargreaves invented his Spinning Jenny

monkey hanger 18-04-2020 10:35

[QUOTE=Ryewolf90;1239143] Earl Crag is on the main road from Colne to Keighley,

on my doorstep but never been. another occasion when you know less whats on your doorstep than you do miles away or in another country.

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2020 10:56

That is so true....likewise when we do know of beautiful places, we often do not value them in the way that visitors do.

Ryewolf90 18-04-2020 19:30

Day 26: Another weekend when I would have gone to the ELR

So here's a short video I took during their steam gala in March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzH9eP25Ts

Exile on Spencer St 19-04-2020 13:52

1 Attachment(s)
Day....err...oh, who cares?
At least there are signs of more fruitful times ahead.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2020 14:06

Yes...I like that...blossom.

Ryewolf90 19-04-2020 19:01

1 Attachment(s)
Day 27: A perfect day to go to Ingleton Falls...

A waterfall I found today at Jackhouse Nature Reserve in Oswaldtwistle

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2020 20:19

behind my door for today...some new brush pens(new bright colours)....after all you need to keep occupied in isolation

DaveinGermany 20-04-2020 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239132)
day 21.....and this picture says it all really.

still in lockdown...and likely to be so for another three weeks.
This picture was taken on a very happy jaunt to Liverpool.

That's down along the waterfront/Albert dock isn't it?

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2020 18:38

It certainly is son...and I love that picture.
I am hoping to be able to revisit Liverpool......I have a soft spot in my jeart...Ma is there now in the faculty of medicine.....I would like to add an engraved lock to the one already there...engraved with her name.
Not sure if it will be possible.
There is supposed to be a thanksgiving service later on this year...but it may not happen.
We'll see.

DaveinGermany 20-04-2020 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239335)
It certainly is son...and I love that picture.
I am hoping to be able to revisit Liverpool......I have a soft spot in my jeart...

Aye me too, being my home town & all.

There is supposed to be a thanksgiving service later on this year...but it may not happen.
We'll see.

Surely it'll be held just put to a later date when all this CVC is done with. :)

You'll get there again eventually Ma, chin up & plod along. ;)

DaveinGermany 20-04-2020 19:11

1 Attachment(s)
This was Germany last Thursday, the Autobahn 2 one of the busiest east - west roads in the Bundesrepublik, I was heading off to the VW works at Wolfsburg (with some top secret seats :D)