Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2010, 10:23   #1
Resting in Peace

A bit of sense at last

BBC News - Cameron backs proposed health and safety law reforms

At last a bit of sense over the health and safety nonsense, and a curb on ambulance chasers is long over due, we have got to a situation where there is no genuine no fault accidents anymore, a lot of these so called "accidents" could be avoided if people themselves were more careful and were no always looking for some one to blame, when most of the time its their own stupid fault
Old 16-10-2010, 07:58   #2
God Member

Re: A bit of sense at last

same old headlining grabbing what a load of rubbish his report only covers teachers and office workers and health and safety consultants who do assesments already have to be qualified and putting their names on a database dont add upnthats not very safe is it and theres no way they can get round any compensation laws unless people are given a disclaimer
Old 16-10-2010, 08:43   #3
God Member

Sadly the BLAME GAME has become big business lately and is out of control. All it does is push up premiums and make those in the blaming game a lot of money. If an accident is genuine then why the hell would people want to try and get money out of it and drag it through the courts. Soon accidentally bumping into someone in the street or clipping there ankle in a supermarket with a trolley will be compo claims. Then there is the chance they might want the poor ****** who did the bumping or clipping charged with assault. Common sense is no longer used sadly and we will be worse of for it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 08:49   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Sadly the BLAME GAME has become big business lately and is out of control. All it does is push up premiums and make those in the blaming game a lot of money. If an accident is genuine then why the hell would people want to try and get money out of it and drag it through the courts. Soon accidentally bumping into someone in the street or clipping there ankle in a supermarket with a trolley will be compo claims. Then there is the chance they might want the poor ****** who did the bumping or clipping charged with assault. Common sense is no longer used sadly and we will be worse of for it.
Exactly my take on it to Spugs, you only have to look at the TV ads to see that, well some of us do that is
Old 16-10-2010, 09:00   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Exactly my take on it to Spugs, you only have to look at the TV ads to see that, well some of us do that is
Others though see it as a way to easy money and there is a good chance the will go out to try and "have an accident" to get compensation. The line between genuine accidents and those of the silly chace em ones is now blurred. Who cant be sued now for money over anything?

If I buy a new set of sharp knives for the kitchen and cut myself does that mean I could sue the maker of the knife that assaulted me and drew blood?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 09:36   #6
God Member

but its only headline making in the tory press if you read it its only for office workers and teahers nothing will change its all words and headline grabbing itws not went through parliament yet so dont hold your breath.
Old 16-10-2010, 09:43   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
itws not went through parliament yet so dont hold your breath.
It won't go through Parliament until it has been assessed for risks, as for holding our breath? What are you some sort of health & safety worker, of course we won't hold our breath, common sense says that is dangerous, we don't need telling.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 09:44   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It won't go through Parliament until it has been assessed for risks, as for holding our breath? What are you some sort of health & safety worker, of course we won't hold our breath, common sense says that is dangerous, we don't need telling.
Good point Less, I can't hold my breath even if I wanted to
Old 16-10-2010, 10:52   #9
Resting in Peace

I blame Stan Ogden.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 13:15   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It is a sad but true fact, that due to rules & regulations set in place mainly by the last Government, the deadwood & s'not fair crowd seem to see everything as someone else's fault & take no responsibility for their own actions. Someone's to blame, it's not my fault ! I know my rights ! & I want compensation from someone ! Now rules the roost, it really annoys me that this is the way the UK has turned out, a culture of claims, counter claims & compensation ...... depressing, it really is.

I understand there are some really genuine cases & that's fine we all should be cared for if some tool has been incompetent, but some pig who burns their face shovelling a Maccy D's down their gullet ? Your own fault ! Of course it was going to be hot you Muppet !

I don't half despair ! So this new Government say they're going to cut back on all this H&S crap, well great & the sooner the better. People say they're fed up with being treated like kids & being told what to do well here's a start at least, grow up & take responsibility for your own actions, accidents will happen but have the decency to be fair about them not every incident requires a claim !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 13:41   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
if you read it its only for office workers and teahers n
It doesn't say that at all! It says 'for non-hazardous occupations SUCH AS office workers and teachers'. So if you erect scaffolding at the top of a 100 storey building Health and Safety will apply, if you're a librarian presumably it won't, should you drop a book on your foot! THAT is an accident,they happen.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 14:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
It doesn't say that at all! It says 'for non-hazardous occupations SUCH AS office workers and teachers'. So if you erect scaffolding at the top of a 100 storey building Health and Safety will apply, if you're a librarian presumably it won't, should you drop a book on your foot! THAT is an accident,they happen.
You have to make exceptions for the likes of CS and Mancie they look at the world through rose colours specs and can't see anything constructive put forward by anybody but Labour, the problems is Labour never got anything right
Old 16-10-2010, 15:07   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
they look at the world through rose colours specs
I don't think so,Jaysay, I think their specs may be rather darker than that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 15:18   #14
God Member

Quote:
Aye - they see the world through specs like those of a Chilean Miner.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 15:45   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not if they're already blind Gordon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..