Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 17:08   #31
God Member

Re: A cause for....apathetic disinterest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Most of the royals will be marking the jubilee year by having foreign holidays at our expense.
Royal family to mark Queen's diamond jubilee with visits to Commonwealth | UK news | The Guardian

When Prince Charles visited Canada last month, the expense of the visit, you will be relieved to hear, was borne by the Canadian taxpayer ... and there was no bitching and whining about it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2012, 19:56   #32

I love the Royal Family and I really enjoyed Prince Charles documentary last night, I'm having a Jubilee tea party on Monday with afternoon tea and champagne and looking forward to it very much!
I know they're German descendants, but it's part of our history and I think it should be celebrated. I think that although costing a lot of money to run, the Royal Family bring in a lot of revenue to the country - I'd rather my taxes went on them than on the dole dossers I seem to be supporting.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:05   #33
Full Member+

Well said, Anne. I agree with you.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 23:11   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I love the Royal Family and I really enjoyed Prince Charles documentary last night, I'm having a Jubilee tea party on Monday with afternoon tea and champagne and looking forward to it very much!
I know they're German descendants, but it's part of our history and I think it should be celebrated. I think that although costing a lot of money to run, the Royal Family bring in a lot of revenue to the country - I'd rather my taxes went on them than on the dole dossers I seem to be supporting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Well said, Anne. I agree with you.
I'm in your camp as well.

Steve I hope you're not just agreeing with Anne because of her avatar!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14   #35
Beacon of light

I cannot see any reason why even the most seasoned of republicans can't raise a glass of something to the Queen.
60 years - a whole lifetime of work for the people of the country.........which politician would these republicans put in her place? Which politician could have been trusted to do the same job.
I can't think of any.
Those who cannot wish the Queen well and celebrate this historic occasion have a meanness of spirit, I hope they get pleasure from their chosen 'alternative' pursuits today.

There is no-one alive today who has witnessed anything like this - and indeed those alive(even the youngest citizens) are unlikely to see the same thing happen again.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I cannot see any reason why even the most seasoned of republicans can't raise a glass of something to the Queen.
60 years - a whole lifetime of work for the people of the country.........which politician would these republicans put in her place? Which politician could have been trusted to do the same job.
I can't think of any.
Those who cannot wish the Queen well and celebrate this historic occasion have a meanness of spirit, I hope they get pleasure from their chosen 'alternative' pursuits today.

There is no-one alive today who has witnessed anything like this - and indeed those alive(even the youngest citizens) are unlikely to see the same thing happen again.
Think you've said it all Margaret, when you think of the likes of Cameron, Blair, Brown etc, all they are a leg-ends in their own lunch time
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43   #37
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I'm in your camp as well.

Steve I hope you're not just agreeing with Anne because of her avatar!
Just coincidence. I don't remember her having the westie avatar yesterday.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 13:30   #38
God Member

parties galore up here/kilwinning irvine out my back door etc going to one in millport tomorrow..oban as well
Old 03-06-2012, 14:46   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
parties galore up here/kilwinning irvine out my back door etc going to one in millport tomorrow..oban as well
I once saw a chap refuse to stand for the Queen in a Orange club, that was quite fun
Old 03-06-2012, 15:16   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Today is the 60th anniversary of the accession to the throne of our fair land of our Sovereign Lady, The Queen. More blessed than any other County in England, we have as our hereditary Duke, the monarch herself.

When I was in the Netherlands, also a Constitutional Monarchy, I was surprised to see that any and every anniversary surrounding Queen Beatrix and her life was celebrated. The national flag, adorned with an orange wimple, was hung from almost every window in Amsterdam. Parties were held. Indeed, on Queens Day, April 30th. the whole of the centre of Amsterdam is closed and the Bylaws suspended for the day in celebration. I fondly remember the slogan on one t-shirt, which read: "There is room for more than one Queen in Amsterdam"

And yet here, where we enjoy a unique relationship with the Head of State, our Queen and Duke, I see almost nothing to mark this significant point in our history. For a country as obsessed with breaking records and the extolling of such, I find it odd.

Have we all lost interest?
Queens Day in the Netherlands has something to do with celebrating their monarchy?

Well, you live and learn.

The television coverage is a bit drawn out, and damper than a street party red, white, and blue butty.

I think I'll wait for the film to come out.

With Dame Titty Mirren taking the Anna Neagle role, in the remake of Sixty Glorious Years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:26   #41
Give, give, give member

The last comparable royal pageant was held for King Charles II in 1662.

Diarist Samuel Pepys recorded boats so numerous he could "see no water."

I see water.

I see Ben Fogle in shorts.

I see Fern Cotton in a leather jacket, and Clare Balding in girly pink.

It's interesting to see, but I was hoping for greater spectacle.

It reminds me a bit of the shows they put on, on the boating lake, in that park in Scarborough.

When do the boats start attacking each other?

Old 03-06-2012, 15:42   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The last comparable royal pageant was held for King Charles II in 1662.

Diarist Samuel Pepys recorded boats so numerous he could "see no water."

I see water.

I see Ben Fogle in shorts.

I see Fern Cotton in a leather jacket, and Clare Balding in girly pink.

It's interesting to see, but I was hoping for greater spectacle.

It reminds me a bit of the shows they put on, on the boating lake, in that park in Scarborough.

When do the boats start attacking each other?
The park is Peasholm Park, where they put on sea battle displays several times a week during the summer months.

Last edited by Michael1954; 03-06-2012 at 15:45.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:53   #43
Resting In Peace

I am watching the pageant, I really would like to see more of the boats and less of the presenters and their inane twaddle. There are ten or so boats with musicians and we have hardly seen anything of them. There's about an hour of the programme to go and we are promised they will be shown but I won't hold my breath.

Shame about the weather but well done to the organisers and those taking part. The Queen and Duke really seem to be enjoying the spectacle and have stood for the whole afternoon though seats were provided. Not bad for 86 and 90 years old.
Old 03-06-2012, 16:01   #44
Give, give, give member

The Queen arriviing at the Thames, looking resplendent, in an outfit by designer Angela Kelly.

A jaunty hat, with a nod to the nautical, and a ruff, which will help keep chill winds from regal necks, on this blustery June day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elizabeth-i-10-1024.jpg (200.2 KB, 7 views)

Old 03-06-2012, 16:05   #45
Give, give, give member

Tess Daley's just been knighted, by some nutter in Battersea Park.

Some of this wall-to-wall coverage from the BBC is utter crud.

It makes It'a a Royal Knockout look dignified.

Bring back Richard Dimbleby.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..