Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52   #121
Beacon of light

Re: A cause for....apathetic disinterest?

Some of them obviously did Margaret......they volunteered....there was no risk to their benefit entitlement.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2012, 11:55   #122
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Some of them obviously did Margaret......they volunteered....there was no risk to their benefit entitlement.
I'd have done it for free...!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58   #123
God Member

"Both stewards said they were originally told they would be paid. But when they got to the coach on Saturday night, they said, they were told that the work would be unpaid and that if they did not accept it they would not be considered for well-paid work at the Olympics."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58   #124
Beacon of light

Me too...especially if I had been on the unemployed list for a long time, as these people were reported to have been.
To have experienced the atmosphere of the occasion must have been quite something.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:01   #125
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
"Both stewards said they were originally told they would be paid. But when they got to the coach on Saturday night, they said, they were told that the work would be unpaid and that if they did not accept it they would not be considered for well-paid work at the Olympics."
So they were going to be in line for some well paid work then.

They still had the choice to stay on the coach and be considered for work at the olympics...or get off and not be considered.

They were not actually press ganged into it. They made the choice, so why complain about it?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15   #126
God Member

Working for free is acceptable when it is charitable service which benefits the community (meals on wheels and such like).

Any other reason is subtle slavery.

It seems like the jubilee and olympics are trialling the 'work for nowt' ethic.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/olympi...e-7639875.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28   #127
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Working for free is acceptable when it is charitable service which benefits the community (meals on wheels and such like).

Any other reason is subtle slavery.

It seems like the jubilee and olympics are trialling the 'work for nowt' ethic.

Olympic musicians told: Work for free - Olympic News - Olympics - Evening Standard
The article quoted says

staff such as security and stage crews receive their usual fees.

all other sectors involved in putting on these events — such as security, staging and equipment hire — are being paid their usual fees

It also says

Multi-millionaire basketball players Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen say their US team should be paid for representing their country at the Games.

I hope they they are disqualified from attending.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30   #128
God Member

Quote:
Surely this is a breach of contract...

I wonder how much "Close Protection UK" were making out of this group of people being present-they mention some expenses in the form of clothing and some kind of training, but that doesn't give them the right to use people who are trying to get into the world of work - a difficult thing to do at the moment. Makes a bit of a mockery of the government scheme if it's just a way for some companies to make extra on the backs of people who are hoping for some kind of a future.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36   #129
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I'd have done it for free...!
Can't see you having the opportunity Steve... you're not a dole scrounger.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:39   #130
Resting In Peace

Molly Prince, managing director of Close Protection UK, said in a statement: "We take the welfare of our staff and apprentices very seriously indeed.
"The staff travelling to the jubilee are completing their training and being assessed on the job for NVQ Level 2 in spectator safety after having completed all the knowledge requirements in the classroom and some previous work experience. It is essential that they are assessed in a live work environment in order to complete their chosen qualifications.
"The nature of festival and event work is such that we often travel sleeping on coaches through the night with an early morning pre-event start – it is the nature of the business … It's hard work and not for the faint-hearted.

No wonder the whingers didn't want to do it.
Old 05-06-2012, 15:55   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Can't see you having the opportunity Steve... you're not a dole scrounger.
Eer! Excuse me, but not everyone who's on the dole is a scrounger....a lot of people have lost their jobs due to the current recession. Professional people and workers of all different levels. There are also a heck of a lot of young people out there who've never had a chance yet either. It's hard when you send out loads of curriculums (or should that be curricula?) and don't get an answer -or when eventually you get an interview they are looking for someone "with experiece" -hard to have when looking for your first position...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:31   #132
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Eer! Excuse me, but not everyone who's on the dole is a scrounger....a lot of people have lost their jobs due to the current recession. Professional people and workers of all different levels. There are also a heck of a lot of young people out there who've never had a chance yet either. It's hard when you send out loads of curriculums (or should that be curricula?) and don't get an answer -or when eventually you get an interview they are looking for someone "with experiece" -hard to have when looking for your first position...
Keep yer 'air on! I don't tar everyone on the dole with the same brush!!!! I know you have sons who are finding it tough and there are lots of young people in the same position. And my partner has been out of work a few times so I have tasted life in the slow lane as well. What I was implying was that the attitude shown by some of the interviewees in the Guardian article was typical of those who can't get out of bed in the morning but think the world owes them a living.
Old 05-06-2012, 17:51   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Keep yer 'air on! I don't tar everyone on the dole with the same brush!!!! I know you have sons who are finding it tough and there are lots of young people in the same position. And my partner has been out of work a few times so I have tasted life in the slow lane as well. What I was implying was that the attitude shown by some of the interviewees in the Guardian article was typical of those who can't get out of bed in the morning but think the world owes them a living.
Those are the only ones who will give an interview to the Guardian susie
Old 05-06-2012, 17:53   #134
Resting in Peace

I actually caught a bit of Queen at lunch time, Paul Rogers is a great singer but nobody can replace Freddie
Old 05-06-2012, 18:32   #135
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The Guardian only interviewed the whingers.There might be people there who would be grateful to have got this close to a real job if they were being assessed for the Olympics. They might have to face far worse hardships in the real world of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Those are the only ones who will give an interview to the Guardian susie
Yep, I made the same point in post 114.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..