Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2005, 20:45   #1
Member.

A drop of Snow....

Just for those who are looking forward to a drop of snow, I took these photographs on and around the summit of Blencathra and Scales Fell in the Lake Districts Northern Fells between 10.00 am and 11.30 am this morning. The photo of the summit was taken in the extremes of a minor blizzard with gust of 40 mph. Despite the conditions I had a brilliant day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00875.JPG (154.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00882.JPG (117.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00885.JPG (140.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00892.JPG (131.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00897.JPG (136.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00903.JPG (146.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00912.JPG (148.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00913.JPG (131.6 KB, 25 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 28-11-2005 at 13:48.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2005, 20:48   #2
God Member

Re: A drop of Snow...........

WOW! What fantastic pictures Doug ......... really beautiful!
Old 27-11-2005, 20:50   #3
God Member

Stunning pics, Doug.

Chris is getting really cross about the lack of snow. He was hoping to take the kids sledging this weekend - not even a drop of the white stuff.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 20:51   #4
God Member

Now I am very jealous. That is a cracking set of pics Doug.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Last edited by Len; 27-11-2005 at 21:02.
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 20:59   #5
I am Banned

nice pics doug
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 21:03   #6
Member.

Re: A drop of Snow....

I don’t mind admitting that I was a little dubious when I crossed the snow line. It was a little extreme at time with blizzard condition and 40 mph gusts, my hydro pack froze solid at about 1500 ft, for those interested the summit of Blencathra is 2847 ft. I am one of those idiots that once out and on the way I won’t turn back. I’m equipped to survive up to 48 hours but I was a little worried at one point. Put what a day. Sorry Spuggie but you did miss a good one, Gayle get him kitted up I’ll show him some snow. Thanks Tinks.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 27-11-2005, 21:04   #7
Member.

Cheers to the nice person who put this right for me, I am grateful.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 14:53   #8
God Member

Theres snow on the Campsies and snow on the Ochils and it looks stunning. Nearest I will get for a while.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 14:56   #9
Resting in Peace

nice pics Doug what camera you using ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 15:22   #10
Member.

Hi Mick, It’s the one I wanted to replace some time back. An old Sony DSC-S85 Cyber shot rated at 4.1 Mega pixels. It’s bulky but easy to use especially in bad weather when I’ve got gloves on. A lot of the pictures taken during the bad weather on Sunday were a little to blue due to the normal exposure problems and the fact that I was trying to stay on my feet.

A 16MB Memory Stick gives me 94 shots at 100 ISO on a fine setting or 236 shots on a standard setting. It’s only failed me twice when I’ve put on the ground on summit of Helvellyn when the cold at ground level drained the battery completely. It’s been a good piece of kit that’s had a few knocks and been dropped in snow, water and sheep droppings and still works perfectly in anything from rain and gale force winds, to scorching sun down to a blizzard on Sunday….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 15:24   #11
God Member

I thought that the nearest I was going to get to snow was being able to see the Lake District from the M55 on the way back home this afternoon. I was as surprised as hell to find that Huncoat has two inches of lying snow!

Where did that come from? Well, Obviously I do know where it came from, it came from the sky, but you know what I mean. There was no word of it either on the met office site, nor on any other forecast site when I checked at 5:00 this morning.
Old 28-11-2005, 15:38   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I thought that the nearest I was going to get to snow was being able to see the Lake District from the M55 on the way back home this afternoon. I was as surprised as hell to find that Huncoat has two inches of lying snow!

Where did that come from? Well, Obviously I do know where it came from, it came from the sky, but you know what I mean. There was no word of it either on the met office site, nor on any other forecast site when I checked at 5:00 this morning.
I think you’ve been lucky, as you’ll know A-B there’s now’t of it up here. I’m hoping to get over one night this week to go to Ossy Mills it will be nice if there’s another fresh coating…

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 16:34   #13

Lovely pictures Doug but it looks cold
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 16:36   #14
God Member

I should get over this evening if I were you mate, according to the forecasts the weather is set to take a turn for wet and windy after the middle of the week with the prevailing wind swinging round to the south. Of course, as has been proved over the last few days, they could be wrong!
Old 28-11-2005, 17:15   #15
Senior Member+

Excellent pics doug, came down from Penrith this morning, looked over to the hills with all the snow, looked very nice from my warm car

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..