Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2005, 17:22   #16
Senior Member+

Re: A drop of Snow....

Should have added this to my previous post, doug were you up there alone, or walking with a group?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2005, 18:43   #17
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Should have added this to my previous post, doug were you up there alone, or walking with a group?
I was alone Park, I love it. I’ve only walked with another person once this year which was last week when she wanted to see what it was like up Helvellyn. Needless to say she only wants to do low level walks from now on…..lol.

It was very cold above the snow line, like I said earlier the hose of my hydro pack froze but I was snug as a bunny in a fox’s tummy…..The only thing I didn’t like is the fact that my spec’s would steam up every time I tied my hood up tight.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 19:18   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I was alone Park, I love it. I’ve only walked with another person once this year which was last week when she wanted to see what it was like up Helvellyn. Needless to say she only wants to do low level walks from now on…..lol.

It was very cold above the snow line, like I said earlier the hose of my hydro pack froze but I was snug as a bunny in a fox’s tummy…..The only thing I didn’t like is the fact that my spec’s would steam up every time I tied my hood up tight.
Assume that you had notified people that you were going up there, and set a time limit for contact.

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-11-2005, 20:03   #19
Member.

I certainly do Park. I carry a survival kit that allows me to overnight and walk off a Mountain the next day if necessary, everybody who needs to know where I am as a copy of my route in detail” written details plus a memory map print off” and what emergency profile I’ll take in the event of an incident.

Standing orders for me not returning after 12 hours is to inform Mountain Rescue where I’ve gone, what kit, Fluids and food supplies I have with me and after an emergency which route I’ll make my decent from. By prior arrangement people will only come looking for me if I have not made contact after 24 hours. In the event of injury I have the means to summon help if I need it. I carry enough kit to do what’s needed for 48 hours but most of the kit I carry is intended for other people who might need assistance in an emergency rather than for me, hopefully it will never get used.

Emergency Kit includes: Map of the area and compass, mobile phone, one head lamp, one hand torch, two whistles, two Plastic survival Bags, two foil blankets, and one “Vango” Bothy bag for two persons. Sleeping mat, Comprehensive first aid kid, high energy food reserves, “Kendal Mint Cake and Galaxy Chocolate” multiple packs of hand warmers, two knives, spare hat, gloves and a full set of water proofs, hydro pack, flask of hot drink and general food supplies, all of which is wrapped up in a 35 liter pack. This excludes what kit I’m wearing on the day. Winter kit include's boot spikes and a raven pro Ice Axe.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 20:17   #20
God Member

Perfect preperations pity some dont do the same at this time of year.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 20:54   #21
Member.

You are right spuggie; I hate to see people dragging their kids up the side of a mountain wearing their school coats and Wellingtons with no sign of a map or fluids or even well intentioned people who seem to have the right idea then go up with little more than a doggy bag of kit. They don’t seem to appreciate that the temperature and weather conditions can change within a few yards. I think that the only problem with having perfect preparations is that in the event of a real injury you can be as vulnerable as you would have been if you went without anything. My kit is only really for helping me survive if I get lost or become closed down by the weather and have to sit it out and perhaps sustaining myself or another after a minor injury that prevents a walk off. I wouldn’t want to put to the test for longer than a few hours though; I don’t mind the thought of over nighting if I had too, but a real emergency usually means a serious threat and sometimes the best of preparations won’t help, but it’s better than sleeping off an hangover on a Sunday morning…

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 21:10   #22
God Member

When hiking as a teen we were going up Ben Nevis with full kit even though it was a fine day and the number of ill prepared people was shocking. Sad though it sounds we had the last laugh when the weather closed in. Commen sense aint on the list with some people. They forget the weather can change in an instant. I did a lot of walking back then and was always told its better to be a little over prepared than under. As for maps most of those who wander the wilds ill equiped proberly cant use a compass or map properly. Mention 8 digit cor-ordinents and they think you are from Mars.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-11-2005, 21:42   #23
Member.

That’s a good point spuggie; I don’t think people appreciate how important basic map reading and navigational skill are. There’s too much reliance on GPS systems these days that can fail in extreme weather conditions and even under thick low laying cloud cover, some don’t even carry spare batteries etc. A lot of folk are misled in to believing that there’s an abundance of clear paths out there but don’t seem to appreciate that the weather can obscure the best of them, ten minutes walking in the wrong direction or wandering off the path altogether in bad weather can be enough to result in the Mountain Rescue Teams being scrambled. All too often it’s the misuse of brain power that results in even the best equipped walkers ending up in trouble or dead because they tried to carry on in bad conditions instead of digging in and sitting it out.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 21:46   #24
Senior Member+

I take my hat of to you doug (a thermal one) the map and compass would be for your own use on the hills ? the mobile can be a little suspect in certain areas, however I normally text home from the top of where ever if I am out on the hills, just to let them know, I have got to where I wanted.
Normally carry a gps unit as well, good for co-ords if needed
and spare batteries

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-11-2005, 21:53   #25
Senior Member+

Good point there doug, a trip up snowden proved that, lovely sunny day as we started, but weather closed in 30+mph winds at the top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Its_Bad.JPG (11.5 KB, 8 views)

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-11-2005, 21:53   #26
God Member

We always tried to make sure we had alternitve sites to "weather the storm" especially when we did the west highland way. One thing the always stuck with me is that it is better to be safe than sorry. Only once did we fall back on an emegency site and that was after coming of Rannoch moor in dreadful weather. To carry on would have been stupid as this was before mobile phones. I am of the opinion that anyone out for a walk in the hills needs basic map and compass skills it can be the difference between life and death. Its the basics that save your life not technology.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-11-2005, 22:15   #27
Member.

Just to emphasise how fickle mobiles can be, this is a shot on Long Side Edge on a day that started out wet at ground level, deteriorating to 40 mph gales and driving rain along the Edge itself, then again on the summit of Skiddaw and then turning to bright warming sunshine on Carl Side, all with an hour or so. My mobile got soaked in an unprotected pouch on my waist strap, at the time I was most at risk it was useless, hence the whistles and torches.

Yeah Park, the map and compass is for my own use. I carry a normal OS 1:25 000 of the area I'm walking in and selective area maps made with memory map software for quick view use and close up bug out routes.

I went mad with the kit list because I wanted my son and girl friend to walk with me and I didn't want anything going wrong for them, my son did the Yorkshire Three Peaks individually then jack it in, the girl friend likes to do the odd walk now and again but isn't committed. I was also well taught about being prepared by the Lossimouth MRT back in the late 70s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00382.JPG (128.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00419.JPG (142.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00438.JPG (137.8 KB, 5 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 22:17   #28
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Good point there doug, a trip up snowden proved that, lovely sunny day as we started, but weather closed in 30+mph winds at the top
That shot makes for a good excuse to get the Bothy out for an hour or so…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-11-2005, 23:18   #29
Member.

I don’t think that any discussion about the risks of fell and mountain walking can be complete without a mention of one of the most dangerous situations you can face on the hills. An attack of a high altitude fell rat; these terribly aggressive beasts cleverly disguised as sheep will attack without warning when confronted with an exposed goodie bag of sandwiches or anything else known to be edible.

These beasts can carry off an unsuspecting fat bloke for over a mile in any direction; this usually results from a confrontation over the contents of you lunch box and ends in a full frontal charge by the beast, you the victim with legs akimbo are propelled backwards without any other option but to hold on for grim death and pray that the bloody thing doesn’t have any homicidal lemming like tendencies.

In situations where the hapless walker as no option to overnight on the fells these beast have been known to drive the bravest men white with fear, they creep silently up on you and bang!, there on you, rummaging in every orifice and exposure that can be exploited. These aren’t mythical beasts, no; I’ve known them to eat…..Meat! Chicken, ham, even lamb although I must admit unwittingly on their part. Have you never wondered why some people go out there and are never seen again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00512.JPG (149.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00524.JPG (135.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00149.JPG (146.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02847.JPG (60.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Sheep.JPG (151.4 KB, 5 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-11-2005, 07:59   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
That shot makes for a good excuse to get the Bothy out for an hour or so…..
We were very near the top when the weather really closed down, and the path was well marked so on we went to the top and spent the next hour in the station on the top. (the "train" had been stopped because of the weather, there were a lot of people up there in the cafe that were not prepared) My gps proved very valuable on the way down, having marked waypoints on the way up, so it was a matter of back tracking on the waypoints, whilst using the map.

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..