Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2005, 17:51   #1
land of hope and glory

Unhappy A Law Above Themselves!

listening to the radio on the way to....bl...bll...blac.....blackp,,, the cesspit,the news came on and i just could not take it in,a copper in an unmarked car doing 159mph on public roads has been let off because the judge said he needed to practise!The judge said that because he was trained in driving high performance vehicles,the police man had to find out what the vehicle could do, but come on not on a public highway,there must be a training centre for this sort of thing.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2005, 18:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: A Law Above Themselves!

Makes you wonder what kind of justice would have been meted out if he had hit a mother and a pram or an ambulance............or a bus stop full of kids.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:12   #3
Senior Member+

He was also doing 84 in a 30.

If we'd been doing that we'd probably have been banned by now.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:18   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
listening to the radio on the way to....bl...bll...blac.....blackp,,, the cesspit,the news came on and i just could not take it in,a copper in an unmarked car doing 159mph on public roads has been let off because the judge said he needed to practise!The judge said that because he was trained in driving high performance vehicles,the police man had to find out what the vehicle could do, but come on not on a public highway,there must be a training centre for this sort of thing.
not really surprised its only a couple of years ago a district nurse working got done for doing 34 miles an hour,youve hit the nail on the head vorlon.(a law above themselves.)
Old 18-05-2005, 19:20   #5
g78

One rule for one, and another for the rest of us.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:24   #6
I am Band

Angry Re: A Law Above Themselves!

How are we expected to respect the judiciary and the law, when they behave like it's a Boys Own private club? How does the policeman feel that collared the miscreant driving in lead boots? I bet he feels that he is pi$$ing in the wind!

Starting with the statement, "Respect is earned, not bestowed", I fail to see how members of the public can take the law seriously.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:28   #7
I am Band

Exclamation Re: A Law Above Themselves!

What kind of motor car was the speeding officer driving at the time of the offence? It must be a highly souped up, expensive motor.
As a taxpayer, I would be interested to know that my hard-earned being reaped from my pocket is being put to better use than providing toys for boys!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:35   #8
Senior Member+

It sounds like the easiest get out since OJ Simpson! The Police have skid pans and all sorts of tracks for them to practise on.This sets a very bad example as far as I can see.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:40   #9
g78

Another fly-boy racer who got caught doing something he shouldn't have been and decided to try that excuse. Fortunately for him it worked, gotta love British Justice.
Old 18-05-2005, 19:55   #10
white rabbits

their motto

DO AS I SAY NOT WHAT I DO
Old 18-05-2005, 20:02   #11
God Member

160 isn't that fast for a lot of cars now. the majority of 'warm' BMWs Mercs etc are limited to 155 electronically. I reckon even a Mondeo ST220 can probably get close(quick check, yep, 152mph).
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 20:24   #12
Senior Member+

Would someone please tell me what is the point of making cars that are capable of driving at high speeds when you cannot legally drive over 70 mph.
Old 18-05-2005, 22:22   #13
Senior Member+

Because you can on some autobahns, and no one takes the speed limits on the autoroutes very seriously either, especially in the more southerly regions (apparently), or is that just motorbikes?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 22:45   #14

Performance is not just for getting a car to 70mph Janet, you show me a road that all travel at the regulated speed limit-apart from the 20-30 feet past a speed camera! Acceleration can also get you out of trouble iewhen a pratt is coming at you on the wrong side of the road & you have to put your foot down to make a safe exit for yourself. Trouble with this countrys driving laws are that gthey are archaic, the braking distances on the Highway code were written in the 1930's & despite the technical advances as ABS, traction control, modern tyres etc have never been revised. Well known fact is that the faster you go the less effective the two second rule is too, It is useless past speeds of 50 mph. Given the volume of traffic on todays roads & some of the morons who have been sanctioned licences, (Peruse them in action around 8.30 am to 9.15 & 4.30 to 6.00pm) I pity new drivers having to learn amidst the chaos on the roads today. By the way thank goodness the proposed law on banning radar detectors has effectively been scrapped by the recent election & will probably never be raised again. Pity the Transport minister didn't look at the statistics that motorists with the device are 25% safer on the road & less likely to have an accident. Join the club & stop the governmnent money making machines lightening your pocket!

Last edited by big al; 18-05-2005 at 22:46.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 00:50   #15
land of hope and glory

they are on about raising the speed limit to 80mph on motorways, where was this geezer doing double that?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..