Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2005, 12:49   #1
white rabbits

another debate ,,pagentry

i have just watched the state opening of parliment on the tele .it was brilliant to see all the pomp and ceremony ,where else in all the world is there such pagentry, .and what a great loss it would be if we lost the monachy .i know its the will of many people to be rid of all things royal ..but you cant knock it just because prince charles is a prat..
WHATS YOUR VIEW????????????
Old 17-05-2005, 12:54   #2
Senior Member+

Re: another debate ,,pagentry

It's a hell of a lot of fuss for the reopening of Parliament, in my view.

Good for the tourists though!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:06   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
i have just watched the state opening of parliment ......
WHATS YOUR VIEW????????????
From what I understand Grannyclaret, there will be an excellent opportunity to indulge in some pagentry in Hyndburn. I am of course, referring to Councillor Britcliffe's Ye Olde Making of Ye Mayor Ceremony, a magnificent 4 day spectacle of pomp and circumstance encompassing mighty feasts of ye traditional pub fayre all washed down with the finest meads, clarets & ales. And all this merriment comes for nowt for those attending, because the good folks of Hyndburn will be picking up the tab. All £35,000 of it.

You've not got a ticket? Shame!

Last edited by Tealeaf; 17-05-2005 at 17:11.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:48   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf

You've not got a ticket? Shame!
If there is some-one out there with influence I wouldn't mind a couple of tickets, I'd bring Mick and a couple of others with me for company (also to keep me under control), I suppose I've left it too late to apply, what a shame, the only alternative is for us to have a virtual celebration here on accyweb to run parallel with the real exclusive, not for your ordinary people gathering of the elite.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:53   #5
Give, give, give member

Keep the pomp and pagentry but use out of work actors, the current puppets would be welcome to auddition for the roles.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 19:31   #6
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
where else in all the world is there such pagentry, .and what a great loss it would be if we lost the monachy .i know its the will of many people to be rid of all things royal
From a strictly American point of view, I beleive that there are two main reasons why the UK is a favorite stop for our tourists. We speak, more or less, the same language. Americans are generally horrible at foreign languages, but travel in the UK doesn't require any. The second big reason that the UK is a favorite stop is all the pomp and ceremony. While Americans aren't interested in having a monarchy, the concept is still interesting. It's one of those things that makes a trip to the UK special. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the monarchy, with all the associated trappings, does a lot to keep the tourist trade in the UK strong.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 20:17   #7

I'm not what you would call a royalist - but I don't think England would be quite the same if we didn't have them. If we lived in a country that had never had royalty it wouldn't matter so much but we do so I think it's something we should preserve.

Can you imagine a country when the absolute top person was President Blair. We think we in shtuck now but just imagine that scenario.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 21:46   #8

I just think it's out dated and only a show for the tourists,I don't believe people are born to rule! I'm interested to see what happens once the Queen goes,I think people will start to wonder "are these our betters???"

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 21:58   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can't abide the royals, i'm of the belief they think ordinary decent people are peasants and don't give a monkeys about them.at the same time i think we should keep them cos i believe as others have already said- the pagentry,pomp ect DOES bring in many foreign visitors and revenue,although myself i wouldn't go to the end of the street.many would.
Old 18-05-2005, 12:30   #10
white rabbits

i think when the queen dies ,a lot of great traditions will die too. i cant think many people will take to charlie and camilla ..and i dont think anyone can better the job done by her majesty ,,,,,,,,,,,,certainly not a president .
Old 18-05-2005, 12:44   #11
God Member

I'm of a similar opinion, teh pomp does bring in tourists, but when lizzy goes we will be stuffed
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:57   #12

Keep the pomp & ceremony for the tourists but just pay the Queen instead of wasting our taxes on all the hangers on. They don't care about us so why should we pay them!!!
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 16:20   #13
God Member

Just as a reminder to all you republican traitors, we have tried this method of government before. after the regicide of Charles the First. Who replaced the King? Why, Oliver Cromwell. And who replaced Cromwell? Why, Cromwell jnr.

The commonwealth republic was the age of puritanism. Christmas cancelled, pubs shut, sex only in the missionary position, anyone dodgy burnt at the stake. Well, if thats what you want to go back to, fine. But please tell us who you want as President and head of state.

Tony Blair? Neil Kinnock? Michael Howard? Peter Mandelson? George Galloway?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 18-05-2005 at 16:23.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 16:29   #14
God Member

Quote:
and i dont think anyone can better the job done by her majesty
She's never had a job since she left school. She's nothing but a rich chav.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 16:51   #15
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
can't abide the royals, i'm of the belief they think ordinary decent people are peasants and don't give a monkeys about them.
Sounds similar to many corporate CEOs.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..