Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2012, 10:31   #1
Resting In Peace

A new slant on obesity

One way to help the planet - lose weight!

BBC News - Global weight gain more damaging than rising numbers
Old 18-06-2012, 17:50   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: A new slant on obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Ya saw that this morning on the BeeB susie, seems like the Yanks are the biggest culprits
Old 18-06-2012, 18:19   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:

Well it seems that the "free market" is responsible for many wrong doings - because it is the "free market" that is the cause of obesity - anyone watch the program last week "The men who made us fat?"

BBC Two - The Men Who Made Us Fat

Mass marketing is largely responsible for people over eating!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:29   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well it seems that the "free market" is responsible for many wrong doings - because it is the "free market" that is the cause of obesity - anyone watch the program last week "The men who made us fat?"

Yep saw that Kes, v interesting. Have you seen the movie Supersize Me by Morgan Spurlock where he eats nothing but Macdonalds for a month?
Old 18-06-2012, 18:38   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:

NO!!!!!!the reason for people getting fat is they keep opening their gob and stuffing food down their throats, in the old days people didn't get fat because they ate more nourishing home made food not visiting the nearest chippy or takeaway every night for their tea
Old 18-06-2012, 18:43   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
NO!!!!!!the reason for people getting fat is they keep opening their gob and stuffing food down their throats, in the old days people didn't get fat because they ate more nourishing home made food not visiting the nearest chippy or takeaway every night for their tea
But the takeaways and junk food are promoted by mass marketing.
Old 18-06-2012, 21:08   #7

Oh dear, I think I need to cut down on the cake again!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 09:34   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
But the takeaways and junk food are promoted by mass marketing.
I'm talking about the early 80s when mass marketing was unheard of
Old 19-06-2012, 10:05   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm talking about the early 80s when mass marketing was unheard of
In the program "The men who made us fat!" mass marketing really started in the 70's when Advertising men started trying to get us to "eat sweets between meals!" you remember the ad for milky way "The sweet you can eat between meals!" and I think the Mars Bar people had something
similar.

Also when big home freezers came in they started selling all the frozen Cakes and Gateau's and stuff that people only ate in resteraunts prior to this and it all added to making more fattening food available to people on a daily basis at home.

So these ad men have been persuading people to eat sweets between meals for 40 odd years. You may not think advertising effects people but it does. Also you go in Supermarkets and by all the tills are piles of sweets - with the intention of getting children to ask their parents for sweets on the way out! and so on... Also they have buy one get one free deals on icecreams and cakes and so on.

Last edited by kestrelx; 19-06-2012 at 10:09.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:08   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yep saw that Kes, v interesting. Have you seen the movie Supersize Me by Morgan Spurlock where he eats nothing but Macdonalds for a month?
No I didn't see Supersize me, I heard about it, he put on loads of weight I suppose...
Old 19-06-2012, 10:36   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
In the program "The men who made us fat!" mass marketing really started in the 70's when Advertising men started trying to get us to "eat sweets between meals!" you remember the ad for milky way "The sweet you can eat between meals!" and I think the Mars Bar people had something
similar.

Also when big home freezers came in they started selling all the frozen Cakes and Gateau's and stuff that people only ate in resteraunts prior to this and it all added to making more fattening food available to people on a daily basis at home.

So these ad men have been persuading people to eat sweets between meals for 40 odd years. You may not think advertising effects people but it does. Also you go in Supermarkets and by all the tills are piles of sweets - with the intention of getting children to ask their parents for sweets on the way out! and so on... Also they have buy one get one free deals on icecreams and cakes and so on.
Thanks Kes, was about to post all that but you beat me to it! Good summary of that programme - and two more to come. Also the first McDonalds opened in UK in 1974 - longer ago than most people realise. Ironically I lived in USA in 1974 and was already discovering the delights of their food!

Quote:
No I didn't see Supersize me, I heard about it, he put on loads of weight I suppose...
Briefly: Spurlock gained 24½ lbs. (11.1 kg), a 13% body mass increase, a cholesterol level of 230, and experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and fat accumulation in his liver. It took him fourteen months to lose the weight gained from his experiment using a vegan diet. He attempted to curtail his physical activity to better match the exercise habits of the average American (he previously walked about 3 miles a day; whereas, the average American walks 1.5 miles). Spurlock's supervising physicians noted the effects caused by his high-fat diet—once even comparing it to a case of severe binge alcoholism.

The Wikipedia article is very detailed:

Super Size Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19-06-2012, 17:54   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
similar.

So these ad men have been persuading people to eat sweets between meals for 40 odd years. You may not think advertising effects people but it does. Also you go in Supermarkets and by all the tills are piles of sweets - with the intention of getting children to ask their parents for sweets on the way out! and so on... Also they have buy one get one free deals on ice creams and cakes and so on.
Well I don't watch adverts don't go into supermarkets and I eat what I want when I want, I don't have a ring through the nose, which a lot of people seem to have, they're so easily lead
Old 19-06-2012, 20:11   #13
Senior Member+

what about Man VS Food

Old 20-06-2012, 09:06   #14
Resting in Peace

there are over 100,000 people in the country who are "Super Obese" we're talking about the 30 stone mark here

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..