Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2007, 15:32   #16
I am Banned

Re: Absent Landlords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
i didnt say she shoud squat i said she shuodl hold back the rent and the 6 week thing is noncense a landlord cant throw you out for withholding rent because vital repairs need doing teh courts would laugh at him

you do have to pay teh rent eventualy though which personaly i think is wrong , if a landlord is been awkward it should hurt him financialy

send a letter stating you want teh repairs doing within 24 hours or the rent stops until it is fixed , if it was somthing minor i would say a week but heating is vital in this weather especialy with kids
Yeh can do that but the landlord is shifty enough to auction the house off than to put a new boiler in!! Its not easy to stay in a property with an eviction hanging over u with kiddies in tow is what he is saying, no heating/hot water is bad enough, these companies are arsewipes with the law loopholes protecting them rather than the tennant!

I know someone who has got a notice to quit cos the landlord has given the property to his son to live in, its such a uncertain way of living is private renting unlike councils & HA's whom are bounded by rules & regs, & following potocol that protects the tennant as well as the HA/council.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2007, 16:32   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
other than look for somewhere else or contact the HSE or take a private small claims suit.

Another useless toothless waste of government money.
Old 21-03-2007, 16:33   #18
Senior Member+

Do you have Household Contents Insurance.

If so Check if it includes Legal Cover or offers free legal advise.
Old 21-03-2007, 18:02   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Absent Landlords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
My youngest daughter lives in a rented house owned by a person in the south of England, this property is managed by a company in Stockport, the gas combi boiler has broke down on countless occasions, the repair people say the boiler is leaking water and blowing the gas out, in effect it needs replacing. The landlord is reluctant to fork out for a new boiler so she and her 3 children are being passed from the management co to the repair co like a yoyo, how would you address this ridiculous situation.
Just a word of CAUTION.

If your daughter does decide to bear the cost of a repair or new system she cannot deduct the cost from the rent. All that will do is give the landlord an excuse to issue an eviction order.

Even if she takes the landlord to the Small Claims Court, when she wins her case, which she most surely will, she has still to get the money off the landlord. He can drag that out for years if he’s a mind to. She could send the Bailiffs in but that costs more money.

If via litigation she does get her money the landlord will be looking for revenge so she had better watch out. He will find some way of evicting her.

Her best option is to contact one of the bona fide Housing Associations and get onto their list. With children in a house with no heating, even though winter is all but over, her circumstances should give her some sort of priority.
Old 21-03-2007, 20:36   #20
Resting in peace

Thank you my friends I am not an impetuous man, where me and mine are concerned it becomes personal the reason for the thread was to gather information, as I personally have never been down the rental road, my daughter pays £10. 00 a week top up rent and woe betide she is late sending it, eviction notices follow the day after, if the mangement company can spur into action so rapidly why can they not do the same with the 'absent' landlord who lives in the tranquility of Kingston Upon Thames, his ethnic backgruond I will leave to your imagination. I have tried the council and all the other so called landlord regulation bodies, so come on Hyndburn Councillors that represent residents of Belfield Road ,Where do we go from here? Ps good to see you back jambutty, members please keep your ideas comming as my daughter cannot be the only tennant in this disgracefull situation. I could resolve this situation by dipping into my savings, but why should I have to? again thanks for all your input.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 20:44   #21
God Member

Strangely enough we have come back in tonight from my daughters football training and the boiler is working again. I suspected it had some sort of airlock in the system and it looks like I might have been right

Quote:
so come on Hyndburn Councillors that represent residents of Belfield Road ,Where do we go from here?
Heads and brick walls spring to mind.
Old 22-03-2007, 10:15   #22
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

these are the reasons i would never rent private!!
Old 22-03-2007, 10:20   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
these are the reasons i would never rent private!!

Unfortunatley there isn't enough social housing to go round. And believe it or not a lack of heating & hot water combined with a law breaking landlord gives you very little in the way of priority points. The funniest thing I find is that I have been told I'm the lowest of priorities because I have no links with Accrington. My daughter doesn't go to school here and I don't work here. The fact I live here and PAY council tax is totally irrelevant
Old 22-03-2007, 10:23   #24
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember that once with me when i needed a council house in ossy, they would not give me one because as you said lancs i have no links as i live in accy!!
my parents live in ossy and ive was bred in ossy for 21 years before i moved out, and they say i have no links!!
yet iv seen people moving in houses who are from huncoat and even shadworths, what bloody links have they got!!??
Old 22-03-2007, 10:24   #25
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

....so i went elsewhere, and got a nice 3 bedroom house!!

IN OSSY!!!!
Old 22-03-2007, 11:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I remember that once with me when i needed a council house in ossy, they would not give me one because as you said lancs i have no links as i live in accy!!
my parents live in ossy and ive was bred in ossy for 21 years before i moved out, and they say i have no links!!
yet iv seen people moving in houses who are from huncoat and even shadworths, what bloody links have they got!!??
Usually a friend in high places in the council. Trust me when you have contacts like that it helps been there and done it up here.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 12:46   #27
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Usually a friend in high places in the council. Trust me when you have contacts like that it helps been there and done it up here.
Your right spuggie but I don't fancy asking PB for any favours as god knows what pay back would be, I have just found out the absent landlord had the house valued last year, and the valuer in confidence said 'he' the landlord, was remorgaging several properties to buy some more in the area as they are so cheap. I wish I knew who his bank was.
Old 22-03-2007, 13:04   #28
God Member

Ian I found that a bit of nepotism helps. Never needed a councilor just a member of extended family that worked there.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 13:09   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
the landlord, was remorgaging several properties to buy some more in the area as they are so cheap. I wish I knew who his bank was.

I hope he doesn't buy at auctions
Old 22-03-2007, 13:36   #30
Resting in peace

Update, after the 6th telephone call to the management company to no avail, my wife has been to the council office they took the details and have promised to send an officer round tomorrow, my daughter has already done this before and it came to nothing, I think my wife will have been a little more assertive, so any councillor monitoring this thread I say again the house is in Belfield Road, get your finger out the kid's are freezing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..